Baby Names

Why are girl names terrible?

Just found out that I'm having a girl, and while I am SO excited. It's becoming a challenge for me. There isn't a single girl name that my husband and I both like.

We know what this baby's name would have been if it were a boy (Ezra Isaac). I have 3 more boy names on my list I love just as much (Jude, Collin, and Liam).

I want something that isn't very common, isn't fussy or frilly, and works well with the middle name Elizabeth.

My husband's top 2 choices are Hannah and Julia. My top 2 choices (that still don't feel quite right) are Norah and Holland.

Any suggestions?

Re: Why are girl names terrible?

• There's an actress I love named Leonor. I think that, or Lenora, sound similar to what you like. They are definitely feminine, but not "frilly" sounding to me.
  • I think it depends on what you are going for in names.  A lot of people are on this kick of needing trendy cutesy names and they are in fact God Awful for girls.  Aside from that I think there are soooo many lovely girl names.  We are using Giada for DD.

I don't care for Holland but the other three names you have discussed are all nice.

Just some random that aren't ending in anna or lee or  bella or any other frilly thing suggestions

Mallory
    Felicity
    Linnea
    Miranda
    Bianca
    Meredith
    Gretchen
    Tallulah
    Audra
    Helena
    Corrine
    Celeste
    Cora
    Victoria
    Natalie
    Nina

• Loading the player...
  • I like all the girls name but Holland the best. You could call her Holly for short.
  • sarahsnowballsarahsnowball member
    edited July 2015
    We have similar tastes in boy names, so maybe you'll like these?

Naomi
    Willow
    Brynn
    Lucille
    Cora
    Zelda
    Isobel
    Heidi

I also like Hannah and Norah from your list.
  • I think it depends on what you are going for. I like Norah and Julia is nice too. Maybe one is the first name and the other the middle name? I didn't know that Holland was considered a name, other than of a place. But if you like names that are locations, I think there's a thread for that. That isn't my forte personally, but I'm just saying. 
  • Leona
    Sybil
    Siobhan
    Irene
    Bernadette
    Heloise
  • I like all the girls name but Holland the best. You could call her Holly for short.

Holland is a region of the Netherlands, not a name. And nn Holly is very frilly.
  • I really like Brynn. I think it sounds good with Elizabeth as a middle name.
  • gonetotheseagonetothesea member
    edited July 2015
    Holland is really cool.

Other suggestions:
    Sloane
    Helena
    Wren
    Alice
    Hollis or Holly
    Flannery
    Iris
    Ingrid
    Imogen
    Briar
    Maren
    Carys
    Esme
    Olive
    Margot
    Frances

Edited: added another cool name.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Latina211508Latina211508 member
    edited July 2015
    @Snoflakes4eva I'm very aware it's a place. It can be and is a name. Awesome opinion though on Holly. I think it's cute.

@op Norah is also a nice name. Chose whatever name you like best
  • Like Hannah, Norah, and Julia. NAF of Holland (I dislike most place names that weren't names first). 

Other previous suggestions I like: Meredith, Cora, Naomi, Imogen, Lucille.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Holland is NOT good
    Julia is lovely
  • Please not Norah! So. Many. Norahs. It's a pretty name, but very trendy. I keep advocating for noelle, I think it's such a lovely N name alternative. Holly, Hayley and Hillary are also H names I love. Holland is a country. I find it hard to get past that. Although I do know a girl named Canada so I guess this is a thing???
  • edited July 2015
    Another poster already suggested Esme, but that's what I thought of for a not too frilly first name for mn Elizabeth.

Not-too-frilly choices for you:
    Esme Elizabeth
    Eva Elizabeth
    Helen Elizabeth
    Robin Elizabeth
    Clara Elizabeth
    Ivy Elizabeth

Edited for spelling mistake
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nina Elizabeth, Carys Elizabeth, Hailey Elizabeth, Vera Elizabeth, Juliet Elizabeth
  • Where I live Jude (spelled Jood) is a girls name. Course, that is probably no the case where you live :) 
  • I'm probably in the minority but I actually really like Jude as a girl's name.  I would say you could use Judith but Judith Elizabeth doesn't flow so well for me.

Norah Elizabeth is also very lovely.  Julia is pretty but I prefer Julianna.

Holland get a big No from me.
  • My favorite "non frilly" names that were on my long list are: Blythe, Darcy, Leigh, Paige, Etta, Maren, Arden, Adair, Jillian, Eden and Blair. I also have a "guilty pleasure" name on my list: Lark. I think it's cool. They're probably not everyone's style, but I love them all!
    Love: 5/2004
    Marriage: 4/2008
    Baby Carriage #1: 5/2012
    Baby Carriage #2: 1/2016

• Ok first of all, don't name a child after a place. In other words, strike Holland. 

Norah is lovely. 

Name her Juno. I wanted that name but my husband thinks it's stupid. It's not a "place" name - That would be Juneau. 
  • Ok first of all, don't name a child after a place. In other words, strike Holland. 

Norah is lovely. 

Name her Juno. I wanted that name but my husband thinks it's stupid. It's not a "place" name - That would be Juneau. 

But, it IS the name of a really awful mid 2000's movie about a *~quirky~* teen who gets knocked up.

Norah is lovely. 

I'm not a fan of Holland but there are other really beautiful names that are places.  I wouldn't take them all off the table.

Georgia
    Carolina
    Charlotte (NC)
    Sydney
    Madison
    Virginia

Norah is lovely. 

I'm not a fan of Holland but there are other really beautiful names that are places.  I wouldn't take them all off the table.

Georgia
    Carolina
    Charlotte (NC)
    Sydney
    Madison
    Virginia
    To be fair, I think all of those except Virgina were name names first.

Norah is lovely. 

But, it IS the name of a really awful mid 2000's movie about a *~quirky~* teen who gets knocked up.

Juno is an awesome movie!

I'm sorry, I just can't deal. I think it's Jason Bateman's hair, mostly.

Norah is lovely. 

Well, he was supposed to be a super creepy douchebag

Norah is lovely. 

Georgia
    Carolina
    Charlotte (NC)
    Sydney
    Madison
    Virginia
    Really?  I did not know this.  

Norah is lovely. 

Georgia
    Carolina
    Charlotte (NC)
    Sydney
    Madison
    Virginia
    Really?  I did not know this.  
    Yep. Georgia is a variant on Georgiana, feminine variant of George. Charlotte is a feminine diminutive of Charles. Sydney comes from the surname Sidney. Madison is another surname (literally meaning son of Maud which is pretty cool since most son of names are for other masculine names like James or Adam) The only reason Madison is even used as a feminine name is because of an 84' movie named Splash where a character adopts a new name for herself from Madison Ave in NYC. 

And actually, Virgina qualifies as well. It apparently comes from a Roman surname/myth, and then was used for the Virginia colonies in honor of Elizabeth, the Virgin Queen. (Personally, this is why I don't care for the name, I find it SUPER AWKWARD to name a child a name that pretty much means Virgin. )

Source. Behind the name.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I love Nora and Julia.
    Violet. Savannah. Johanna. Theresa.
  • It's really easy to get hung up on making sure the first name and middle name flow perfectly. I did the same thing for awhile. Honestly, I would focus more on how the first and last name sound together. I've never called anyone by their first and middle name, apart from my husband when I'm annoyed.

Just my two cents.

I do like Norah, Julia and Hannah. And, I second the names Georgia, Violet and Leona.
  • I love Hannah, Julia, and Nora. Great start!

Caroline
    Leila
    Juliet
    Natalie
    Cara

Norah is lovely. 

I've not seen it. I've heard of it. I took the name from the 2005 horror The Descent.
  • I like pp suggestion of Cora, or Coraline. Other suggestions:
    Asha
    Zara
    Avery
    Claire
    Rowan
    Lucille
  • What about Hollin?
    I haven't done much research on the name but I believe it's a variation of Holly.
    I know of a Hollin (friend of a friend). She's a cute and successful graphic designer and she pulls off the name well.
     BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker