December 2015 Moms
Options

Marginal Insertion

Hello, I had my anatomy scan yesterday and baby is a little mover! Need to go back in two weeks as she couldn't get all the heart measurements she needed. Outside of that, baby looks great which we are very excited about. She did mention that my umbilical cord is not in the center like it usually is but right on the edge. I will need to have another ultrasound at 32 weeks as the biggest issue could be growth restriction and they will need to monitor that baby is growing well. I was just wondering if anyone else has this or has had experience with this. Thank you in advance!

Re: Marginal Insertion

• Options
    I had this with my last pregnancy. I was worried in the beginning just like you. I just got ultrasounds about every 4 weeks- and everything was fine! He was born healthy even at 36 weeks (I developed PreE)
    My doctor told me that most marginal cases are missed and they don't find out until birth- even then the baby is fine.
    I'm glad they caught it though and will continue to monitor you. Sounds like you're in good hands! :)
  • Options
    I also have an abnormality that can lead to iugr (intrauterine growth restriction) called circumvallate placenta. I will go back to the high risk doctor every 4 weeks to monitor her growth. It's kind of scary, but I've heard it helps to eat as nutrient rich as possible.

I've actually seen quite a few battledore placentas ( medical name for marginal insertion) on figure 1, which is basically an instagram app for the medical community. Most say that the patient had an uneventful delivery or that the baby was smaller but fine. The comments are hilariously weird: "looks like dutch renaissance art", "the dichotomous branching of umbilical artery is hauntingly beautiful", or "the tree of life". 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey, I don't have experience with this, but I pray everything goes well for you and your family. Have you posted on the high risk specialty board or searched there? Someone may have more helpful info for you on that board. I found some info about procedures and different stuff when I have looked there. Just a suggestion. Good luck! I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy!