January 2016 Moms
Options

Diastasis recti

I was wondering if anyone has had diastasis recti in previous pregnancies or this one and may help explain when it can start happening and how it manifests. I did a search on the bump but couldn't find anything helpful. I work out regularly and yesterday I noticed a bulge in my upper abdomen when doing abbs with my legs, and I'm freaking out a little bit. I already asked for an appointment with a physiotherapist to make sure that everything is ok, but I would appreciate your feedback on this one! 

Re: Diastasis recti

• Options
    I had/have it and that's exactly what it looks like. Except I didn't know. Mine never closed after my first pregnancy so I'm seeing a physiotherapist on Friday to see what exercises I can do to make sure it doesn't get worse this time. I had a *huge* bump with my first and it's looking much bigger now so I'm scared!
  • Options
    I too had/have it. There are ways to lessen the things that cause it to occur, such as, when getting out of bed, roll to your side to get out, don't just pull yourself straight up. I did go to a physical therapist and had significant improvement with her recommended exercises post pregnancy, but it did not ever close completely, so I'll be facing the same issues post this pregnancy. You can't and shouldn't do regular ab work. She had me doing a lot of planks etc. Esp side lying ones. I think at a certain point ab work is discouraged in pg. I totally understand your concerns, you will need to do special strength training until they close pp, I look at it as a nice way to get back into strength training gradually since I always push it too hard! But to my knowledge it doesn't affect baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I'd heard about having to limit ab work later in pregnancy, but I didn't think something like this could happen this early (17w). I'll be limiting abs until I see a physio next week, couldn't find an earlier appointment. I'm suspecting that maybe I had a pre-existing problem, but we'll see what they have to say...this is my first pregnancy and I don't have any risk factors for developing this so I'm a bit lost and scared. Thanks again!
  • Options
    FTM here and freaked out about the same thing. Avoid crunches or anything like the above said sitting up out of bed. If you workout you know the moves that puff out your stomach. Planks and keeping your abs zipped up help as long as you have the core strength to keep them engaged and pulled in tight. Bexlife on YouTube has a great video featuring one of the biggest loser trainers talking about safe exercises. She's had 5 kids so I trust the two of them!
  • Options
    LittleFit said:
    FTM here and freaked out about the same thing. Avoid crunches or anything like the above said sitting up out of bed. If you workout you know the moves that puff out your stomach. Planks and keeping your abs zipped up help as long as you have the core strength to keep them engaged and pulled in tight. Bexlife on YouTube has a great video featuring one of the biggest loser trainers talking about safe exercises. She's had 5 kids so I trust the two of them!
    thanks for the suggestions!