December 2014 Moms

Sleep Training Help!

I've been pretty quiet on the board and know it's been discussed before but my baby brain is still taking over. Anyone successfully moved their little one to the crib from a rock n play sleeper? My LO is a pretty good night sleeper but anytime we try to lay him in the crib for naps or at night he thinks it's playtime and after a bit starts crying. The minute we put him in the rock n play at night he is out. Naps during the day are nonexistent. I know that he would be more comfortable and sleep better in his crib but I'm at a loss on how to accomplish this. Any suggestions??

Re: Sleep Training Help!

• I think your pediatrician would be the best place to go for information. Our LO took to sleeping in her crib fairly well when we moved her from her rock n play to the crib. I think that is because we put her in a Merlin Magic Sleep suit and she slept great with that on! So I don't have advice for that part. But our LO has had trouble either getting to sleep or staying asleep and when we were at the 6 mth checkup we asked our pediatrician about it and they gave us this great article from Dr. Ferber. I've heard of a lot of other mom's talk about the Ferber method. If you google it I'm sure you could find info online or like I said your pediatrician might be able to provide a handout or info to help you ;)

Good luck!
  • I did ask about sleep training at our 6 month visit unfortunately the Dr. said if he's sleeping good at night we are lucky and naps might not happen. I bought a Merlin magic sleep suit several months back but he crys when I try to put him in it so that route didn't work. Thought about getting a size bigger but it's summer and we don't have AC in our house so I'm going to skip that for now. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out info on the Ferber method.
  • Loading the player...
  • Besides sleep training, I would also try and figure out why your baby likes the sleep and play so much. Maybe it's the elevated aspect, maybe the fact that it's a lot smaller and cozier, maybe something else in not thinking of right now? If it's the elevation of his head, maybe try elevating the crib mattress slightly. If it's the coziness issue, try again with the Merlin sleep suit or another similar product (I know some people like the Woombie and it may go over better with your LO). Or if you can, try borrowing a bassinet or pack n play that has a smaller area than the crib that might be a good transitional plan.
  • I was thinking about this again last night. When he sleeps in the sleep and play, is it in your room or his? Maybe the room transition along with a different bed is too much. If thats possible, maybe try getting him used to sleeping in his room in the rock n play, then try transitioning him to the crib. I hope you find something that works! Good luck!

• You might try a zip a few zip rather than the Merlin. Gives them that cozy feel! Put him in his crib when he's really sleepy and just be prepared for some crying and a few rough nights.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @amylee429 I thought of that too. We have been putting his rock n play next to the crib in his room since Thursday and he seems to be doing good so I am thinking after a few weeks of this we will try to transition to the crib
  • I don't even think you'll need a few weeks. Give him a week in the rock & play then switch him out. He will cry but he'll learn. I just did sleep training with my daughter & it didn't take too long for her to get the picture. Good luck!