Baby Names

I'm just curious... what would you consider the proper spelling of this name?

I'm not in any way thinking of naming my kid this, so it might be a weird question...

What exactly is the correct spelling of the name "Kayleigh?" I've met many in my life and most are spelled differently.

There's Kailey, Kali, Cayleigh, Kayleigh, Kaylee... and I could go on. But what do you think is the "right" way to spell this name?

Re: I'm just curious... what would you consider the proper spelling of this name?

• I couldn't tell yah... I agree with pp that it's mostly made up so its hard to know how to spell it. The only one I know spells it kaylee
  • Loading the player...
  • MamaWren919MamaWren919 member
    edited July 2015
    One of the reasons I hate this name is that there is no right/common way to spell it. I guess Kaylee is most common.
  • I'd say I see the spelling Kaylee the most often.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Kaylee is the most popular according to the SSA, of no less then 10 (10! at least!) variants. It is probably also the most "traditional" as it's pretty much just Kay with Lee tacked on for extra cutseyness.

Whatever. In 15 years, Go to a stip club and you will be garunteed to find a Kaylee however you spell it (actual name or stage name).
  • There isn't one because this name should never be in use. It sucks.

+1

Image result for bobs burger gifs

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadeaa27518d817eb3a350c501028155427jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload6bbb16d010206d10646648f568faa060jpg

• doesnt matter how you spell it, it is awful at every turn
  • Question: I've had a few students named Kayla. More of a real name than Kaylee or just as made up?

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Question: I've had a few students named Kayla. More of a real name than Kaylee or just as made up?
    I've known Kaylas my whole life. I don't think it has profound origins, but it strikes me as much more legit than Kaley/Kaylee/Kaeyleigh whatever.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

Without looking anything up, I'd assume Kayla was a diminutive of Michaela that spun off into its own name.

BTN lists it as both a smoosh name and Yiddish.
  • My sister had a cat named kaylee.

I thought it was an ok name ...for a cat.
  • CGlessCGless member
    No idea. How about Kylie, Kayla, Callie?
  • This was quite a popular name where I grew up (in the UK) for girls of my generation, and I went to school with several girls called Kayleigh. As an adult I know a Kaylie, and I've always thought that to be an unusual spelling.
    On a similar note, Hayley is a pretty common spelling here too and I don't think that's the case in the US from what I've seen on this board.
    I feel like Kayla is more legit, just because it's pretty consistently spelled and I know adults with the name. Kaylee and all it's variations seems to be teenagers and younger. My 17-year-old niece is Khalee (don't get me started) and when she was born there were two other babies by the same name on the same floor (both different spellings). FWIW she hates her name. Her HS has many girls named Kaylee with all different spellings. It drives her nuts.

• ^If I were a teenager with the name Kahlee - I would totally add an -si to the end of it.
  • I don't get this whole made up thing. I literally know hundreds of adult kaleys. For me it's as common as Julia or heather. Weird
  • If you're going traditional Scottish, the proper spelling would be Ceilidh. I have known several girls who spell it this way. A ceilidh is a social gathering, generally with music and dancing.
  • Wow, so many people hate this name?! 28 years ago when I was given this name, it was not popular... Where I live, it still isn't. I never expected it to be cutesy and trendy
    But I did grow up with a lot of people complimenting it. To each their own I suppose. And fiy, it's an Irish name traditionally spelled ceilidh..... As I'm sure one could understand the spelling variations for less confusion in the English language. I feel that if someone actually spelled it that way,
    It would be seen as youneek to someone who didn't know.....So OP, in my opinion, spell it in whichever variation you like, it's your baby!!! :)