Baby Names

Baby girl name help

babybluubabybluu member
edited July 2015 in Baby Names
okay I'm back. My original choice for our baby girls name was Bethany Kate. Dh loves that name. However, everyone I tell the name too seems to side eye me and act like they hate it. I know it's not up to anyone else, but I don't want people outright hating the name. Is it really that bad?

Our second option which I've recently fallen in love with is Gianna. DHs family is Italian, and the meaning behind the name means so much to me after my personal struggle with even getting pregnant (God is gracious). The more I think about it, the more I love it. Is it a better name than Bethany? I think I actually like it more. Also, what middle name would be good? I think it still has to be one syllable since our last name has 3.

Re: Baby girl name help

• I love Gianna but when pronounced Jahn-nah not Gee-ah-na which is how it will likely be here in the US and it's the reason we never kept it on our list.

I don't think Bethany is bad at all.  It's very underused and was more popular in my age group which is maybe why people have an issue since it's not like the Tinsley/Kensley/etc that are everywhere.  But in reality Bethany is more unique than most names people are using. 

• I much prefer Gianna. And I think Gianna Kate is adorable!!
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • Loading the player...
  • @bbiutmcph I was thinking that's maybe why no one likes it lol. I've never met a Bethany in real life and the only reason it's even being considered is because dh and I saw a church by the name of Bethany once and were reminded of the name. And I didn't know that was how Gianna was actually spelled! I do have to admit I like it pronounced better Gee-anna though. Would it be weird to stick with it with that pronunciation?
  • No. The Jahn way is the Italian way but literally 90% of people in the U.S. will say it the way you like and it's a perfectly acceptable way.

• Bethany is not bad at all. I do like Gianna more though
  • I second Gianna Kate! Gianna was on my list but DH hated it..

I do know a Bethany, if this helps, and she is a teenage twit. She ate a piece of lemon cake one day then afterwards tells me that she forgot she hates lemons... and then proceeded to make all kinds of gagging noises and bad faces. Strange girl.
  • While there is nothing wrong with Bethany, Gianna is very pretty.  What about Gianna Beth, so that you still have some of Bethany within her name.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I love Gianna. Bethany is nice. I had one in my class and she never got teased for name-related reasons.
  • Thank you ladies! I'm really excited for the name Gianna! I think I'll definitely keep this a secret until she is born lol
  • I definitely prefer Gianna Kate! Although maybe I'm a little biased, because I only know one Bethany and she is awful..

Either way, Gianna is beautiful :)
  • Bethany is nice, but I only know women in their 30's with that name so I think it's dated, but it's a classic name, so not really. I do prefer Gianna. Gianna is very beautiful. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Really like Gianna.
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    Bethany is a nice name...I also like Gianna more though. I think pp suggestion of Gianna Beth is cute. Gianna Kate is nice as well
  • I still think Bethany Kate is adorable.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• My daughter is Gianna (jah) so of course that gets my vote. I do like Bethany too, but gianna is prettier ;)
  • babybluu said:

okay I'm back. My original choice for our baby girls name was Bethany Kate. Dh loves that name. However, everyone I tell the name too seems to side eye me and act like they hate it. I know it's not up to anyone else, but I don't want people outright hating the name. Is it really that bad?

Our second option which I've recently fallen in love with is Gianna. DHs family is Italian, and the meaning behind the name means so much to me after my personal struggle with even getting pregnant (God is gracious). The more I think about it, the more I love it. Is it a better name than Bethany? I think I actually like it more. Also, what middle name would be good? I think it still has to be one syllable since our last name has 3.

Both are fine but why would anybody side eye Bethany Kate? It's beautiful!
  • I've only known one Bethany, and she was really sweet, so I have good associations with that name. I love Gianna, and it's a very pretty name also. But it's definitely more common than Bethany. I would keep both on the list and decide when you meet her :)
  • babybluu said:

Lol the people I know IRL are the kind of people that probably want me to name my daughter tinsley or Brinlee. They don't like less common names, or if they haven't heard of anyone with it, they act weird lol

• Just clarifying, are you planning to pronounce it Gee-Ann-ah (with the Ann part sounding like Annie)?
    I haven't heard it that way. I've only heard the Italian way or pronounced Gee-on-ah.
    If your plans are to say Gee-Ann-ah, I think it sounds odd and I'd go with Bethany.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They're both pretty but I prefer Bethany. I've only known one Bethany in my life and I've always loved her name.

My in-laws made it clear that they didn't like the name we chose for our little one and I really don't care (I try not to anyway.) If you really love Gianna than go for it but do it because you want to.
  • babybluu said:
    Lol the people I know IRL are the kind of people that probably want me to name my daughter tinsley or Brinlee. They don't like less common names, or if they haven't heard of anyone with it, they act weird lol
    You don't need those kind of people in your life lol ;)
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• @eliztheforrizz I agree! Lol.

@ss456 it's gee-on-uh
  • babybluu said:

@eliztheforrizz I agree! Lol.

@ss456 it's gee-on-uh

Ok good, then I vote Gianna.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I personally like Bethany Kate. I think it's a good name. People know how to spell it and you don't hear it often. For some reason I've never loved the name Gianna.
  • 1. I like Bethany Kate. While it is not my style, I see nothing wrong with it. It is spelled correctly and is a real name, and would be oh so refreshing in the swarm of trend-city names out there. If you and your husband love the name, use it. 

2. Gianna is okay. I feel the same way about it, that I do about the name Bethany. Like it, but not my style.

3. Your vagina, your baby, your naming rights. Well, and your husbands.....but nobody else's.

4. Stop telling people what name you are thinking of. Just pretend like you don't know yet, and never mention anything on your list. If people keep pushing, tell them that you guys are at a loss, and you are open for suggestions. People ALWAYS want to give their input on stuff like that, and a majority of the time, they are going to mention names that are completely not your style. Humor them, and they will leave you alone. My husband and I had a list going my whole pregnancy, but never mentioned what was on it. Everyone was giving us names that were NOTHING that we liked (either hardcore trendy, made up, or just plain horrible). We just kind of smiled and would occasionally throw in a "oh that is a cool name" comments here and there. That left us and ONLY us to decide what to name our kid. People didn't like it, too bad. I accidentally slipped up and said a name that was my husbands top pick, and my mom was overly dramatic about the name and acted like his favorite name was "A**hole" or something. It was a name I liked my whole pregnancy as well, and I instantly had doubts on it and second guessed the name all throughout my 3rd Tri....and stressed about it. That added stress, was my own fault because I opened my mouth. Keep your lips sealed, and don't let others sway the naming process. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • @Elsa1984 yeah I think I'm just gonna tell them it's a secret. I'm bad at keeping a straight face, so if I asked for their suggestions and they were awful I'm worried I might show how much I hate it on my face lol.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I like Bethany Kate so much more.