Baby Names

Opinions wanted: Baby Girl names

breezypipbreezypip member
edited July 2015 in Baby Names
We just found out we are having a baby girl and I'd love some outside input on our name choices since we're having difficulty narrowing down the list.

We are choosing an "M" or "S" name based on family tradition, and the middle names Jean and Josephine are family names (I just like Eloise, but no deeper meaning to it). Samantha might be our top pick but I worry it's too overdone... Is it?
BabyFruit Ticker

Opinions wanted: Baby Girl names 120 votes

Samantha (MN: Jean or Eloise)
37% 45 votes
Mila (MN: Josephine or Eloise)
15% 18 votes
Maya (MN: Josephine or Eloise)
15% 18 votes
Matilda (MN: any of the ones above)
32% 39 votes

Re: Opinions wanted: Baby Girl names

• Love Mila Josephine

• Samantha was very overdone in the 90s, I know because I am one (:
    But I'm not sure it's too popular now. I can't think of anyone named Samantha that younger than 18. I would check the social security list of popular names for the last year. I think Mila and Maya are more overdone now than Samantha!
  • Loading the player...
  • Samantha is the most popular but leans more classic popular

Mila and Maya lean more trendy popular and are in the top 100 as well.

Matilda is the most unique and my vote

• I only know 1 Samantha and she is 4.  I think Samantha Jean is very nice.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm biased because I'm a Samantha but I really don't hear of many babies being named that anymore. I know of one off the top of my head. For what it's worth, I love my name. My friends call me Sam but I've always been Samantha to my family and in professional settings. It's nice having the options.
  • I voted for Samantha but I like them all except for Matilda.
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    Mila Josephine or Matilda Eloise/Matilda Jean
  • I like Matilda, nn Tilly.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Thank you! It's really helpful to get some outside thoughts.

I think Matilda might be the most divisive name we like... I can see people either loving or hating it. I love it, but I worry she'll encounter more haters with that name than she would with others. @mattandlora I love the nn Tilly, but DH likes Matty so that could be a problem.

It's nice to hear from some Samanthas! We both love the nn Sam, and I love that it's versatile. It can go Tom Boy or girly girl, casual or professional. I'm glad to hear the opinion that it's more of a classic and that it's not seeming too overused, at least these days. (Btw our boy's name would have been Samuel, so we really do like Sam)

My thoughts on Mila, which I do LOVE, are that it has jumped quickly in the charts and it's fairly new, so it may feel dated someday if it doesn't become a classic. But on the other hand it doesn't feel TOO trendy... Yet. I don't know any personally. If only I had a crystal ball for this name!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LNic5 said:

Mila Josephine or Matilda Eloise/Matilda Jean

This!
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    Samantha Jean
  • breezypip said:

I love the nn Tilly, but DH likes Matty so that could be a problem.

Matty sounds too much like Maddie, a very overused nn right now.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• breezypip said:

I love the nn Tilly, but DH likes Matty so that could be a problem.

Matty sounds too much like Maddie, a very overused nn right now.
    I agree 100%!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My vote would be for Matilda Jean :)
  • Love Samantha Jean.
  • Love Samantha and Matilda. 
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Samantha Eloise
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all! This has been helpful. It looks like Samantha and Matilda are our strongest contenders.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Matilda Josephine.
  • Josephine Matilda is actually on our short list so I support this combo!
  • ecwkecwk member
    I love Mila Josephine!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Matilda Josephine= love

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."