January 2016 Moms

Rh-Negative Ladies

amargaret24amargaret24 member
edited July 2015 in January 2016 Moms
Hey ladies, been googling/lurking for an hour and all the responses are not quite what I'm looking for (Email already out to doctor but looking for some support from you ladies too).

My situation: I spotted 10 days ago while traveling through Europe and was lucky enough to get the rhogam shot while on my travels. Anyways (still on the road but in the US now), after waiting a week to have sex, spotted this morning (only have had sex a few times since). The spotting was much lighter and lasted for a very short time but I am wondering if any of you rh- ladies think I need ANOTHER shot. I've seen tons of different opinions. My fiancé and I feel as if it should still be prevelant in my system but as a FTM I'm obviously paranoid.

Thanks!

Re: Rh-Negative Ladies

• You should only need one and one after delivery. This is something you need to call a doctor about
  • Call the Dr. and ask.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey. I'm also RH- and a ftm, I've not had any spotting so far, but my doctor keeps asking me if I've been spotting each time I see her. I agree with pp that you should call you doctor about it. Also wouldn't hurt to check in with your baby and make sure all is fine!
  • One was all I needed during and then one after birth. Call your doc to confirm
  • I only had the one during and the one after the birth. I have been told that spotting can necessitate one.. I would think you'd be okay after already getting it the first time you spotted but I'd definitely call the Dr.
  • I had a shot already after heavy bleeding due to SCH. Whne spotting it all depends on location and your doctor would be able to tell. If it is outside cervix, no shot. Inside cervix, shot. Good luck!
    Married- 7/17/10
     Baby #1- "L.J."- 3/14/12 
    Expecting  #2- EDD 1/8/16 
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride" 

• SovvySovvy member
    I'm RH- and had some spotting, was told by my OB not to bother with a rhogam shot until it was more than spotting.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    *lurker*

I have had bleeding and spotting in all of my pregnancies. My doc said that one shot lasts 3 months. I would of course verify with your doc. Hope this will ease your mind until you hear back.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• Hey ladies thanks for responses. I have an email in to my doctor, he gave me his personal since I travel so much but I think he takes off Thursdays (hence my post). Hard part about being out of town constantly is not having easy access to either an obgyn or clinic that is helpful. It's like the wild west sometimes.....thanks for advice. I have a feeling I'm ok and that the shot is well in my system.
  • I agree with MrsJG3, I was told the shot lasts for weeks/months, so if you just got one, I would assume you're fine, but I noticed you said you already have an email in to dr, so that's a good idea just for peace of mind and if they feel you'll need another. My docs have always given rhogam with any spotting. Keep us up to date.
  • They probably won't do another one until 28 weeks and then after delivery if needed. That was what happened in my case anyway. I had spotting early on and got a shot then they did another 3rd trimester then another after delivery because our blood mixed. This time my midwife did say that if its minor spotting after sex it's probably from my cervix not the baby and there's no need for a shot.
  • The rhogam shot will protect you for 12 weeks. That's what i was told when i had some spotting and got the shot myself. I think you're ok.
  • One usually lasts a couple months unless you are heavily bleeding. I had mine at 11 weeks for spotting and two weeks later I started gushing blood from a large hematoma. I'm now 15 weeks and 5 days and still bleeding. Drs debated on giving me another one around 20 weeks. Like I said, usually spotting is ok. It's large amounts of blood they tend to worry about
  • lwebleylwebley member
    edited July 2015
    The shot lasts quite a while. You shouldn't need another until after you deliver. My dr explained that there is actually some debate over if people even need it for mild spotting. She figured it was better to be safe than sorry and gave it to me anyway.