Breastfeeding
Options

Weaning question...sort of.

my DD is 28 months and still nurses to sleep and sporadically in the mornings before we get out of bed. I've always planned on letting her self wean but just found out I'm pregnant with #2. I don't necessarily want to wean her now as I really don't feel she's ready, but I would like to sort of encourage it if that makes any sense. I think the nursing to sleep will be easier to break, we are already starting to change the bedtime routine with transitioning her to a toddler bed. It's the mornings I worry about...she usually wakes up around 4-5am and comes into our bed, and lately has just wanted to nurse off and on the whole time until we get up at 7. She used to just nurse for a few minutes back to sleep and that was it but not lately. Plus, if I try to deny her and say no, she flips out. She crys and begs and then I just feel horrible. I would like to find a way to somehow decrease and eventually eliminate these morning nursing sessions but really have no idea where to begin. Anyone with a similar situation have any advice??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         

Re: Weaning question...sort of.

• Options
    I am sorry I have no advice, but I think I just saw into my future! My dd is 8 months and nurses from about 4-7 every morning constant until she wakes up for the day. If I try to remove her she cries and gets really upset. Obviously we are still nursing on demand and to sleep, but I was thinking this would end in a couple months. Eeeks!!
    Congrats and nursing for so long! You rock mama! Hope someone can offer some advice and that I can take note ;)

• Options
    Thank you!! @libby+nate , I will tell you it's gone back and forth, for a while she'd only nurse once and go back to sleep - I didn't realize how good I had it for those months! ;) I also had luck replacing my boob with a binky for a while, but I'm trying not to use that as much now that she's older too. @meltwithyou I will read that now, appreciate the link! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Empathizing. I am gently weaning :( my 20-mo old in preparation for TTC (fertility treatments) in 2-3 mos. At 19 mo he was nursing from 4 am on and off until 7 am, but after his 1st molars came in or just b/c I was exhausted, I gently told him "no" and offered caresses or pats on the back or let him whine and flop around a bit. After 3 days he got it (he'd look at me and ask and then shake his own head "no"). At 20 mo, I offer one side only and generally he does not ask for a 2nd. So regular BF is (each one side) 5:00 am, 6:30 am, 5:30 pm, 7:00 pm.  Irregular BF is afternoon, when I am able to satisfy his request or redirect him about half the time.

@meltwithyou, thanks for the article.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• Options
    My oldest was 18 months when I became pregnant with baby #2 and was still nursing a ton. He was and continues to be very strong willed and I feared the day when I had to wean him. He was very attached to nursing but when I was 16-17weeks pregnant he just started to self-wean because my supply tanked. I was very relieved he weaned when he did because I was having the worst nipple aversion and also had bad morning sickness. So you never know. Maybe your toddler will give you an easier time than you think especially if your supply drops.
  • Options
    That's what I am really hoping for honestly! I doubt I have much supply at this point anyway but I imagine it will still drop and maybe that will motivate her to self wean.