February 2016 Moms
Options

Poor fetal growth?

I had an ultrasound at my first OB appointment and everything looked great according to the doctor. Baby measured right on time. Had my second appointment with the OB nurse to get all my info and scripts for ultrasounds since they're done in another office. I noticed there was a diagnostic code checked off for "known/suspected fetal abnormality, unspecified." Nothing was said about this at my appointment so I assumed it was a way to bill the insurance. Today I got a bill for my first appointment and ultrasound. I called my insurance company because all prenatal care is suppose to be 100% covered. They said my appointment was billed as "poor fetal growth affecting management of the mother." Again, my doctor never led me to believe anything was wrong. Called the office and of course they are closed so now I'm having a meltdown. Has this happened to anyone? Could this really just be about insurance billing or could there really be something wrong that the doctor didn't tell me about??

Re: Poor fetal growth?

• Options
    It's got to be just a code to get the insurance to cover the ultrasound, right? They would have told you of something wasn't right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have seen some weird things in my record, too. Mine said "threatened miscarriage" for the longest time before finally switching to "prefnancy" as reason for visit. I did have some bleeding early on and my doctor told me that he was going to code it that way so that I wouldn't be surprised. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much if your doctor said things are on track- I'm sure it was just a coding thing so that your ultrasound would be covered.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with others, I think this has to do with coding. I really doubt an OB would think there was something really wrong and not tell you. Good to call and ask, though. Hopefully they call you back in the morning.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Adyer7Adyer7 member
    My doctor noted threatened miscarriage since I had some very minor spotting to get my insurance to cover an ultrasound though she told me she wasn't concerned at all. I was thankful for the ultrasound I wouldn't have otherwise had!
  • Options
    cadelscadels member
    Thanks ladies!! Makes me feel much better. Gonna call in the am to get it sorted out but the reassurance really helped!!
  • Options
    cadels said:

Thanks ladies!! Makes me feel much better. Gonna call in the am to get it sorted out but the reassurance really helped!!

I really think they would have told you. We had a weird white spot on dd's anatomy scan and they pulled us in the room with the ob before sending us home.
    Still call though just to reassure yourself
  • Options
    My visit summaries say "High Risk OB Care" with the code right before it. I just assumed this was for billing reasons. I'm not high risk for anything. Definitely ask your doctor though.
  • Options
    cadelscadels member
    Talked to the doctors office today. Everything is perfectly fine. It was all for insurance billing to get them to cover the ultrasound. Unfortunately for me, it caused my insurance to not cover and sent me into this panic! Thanks for all your advice, helped me sleep better last night!!
  • Options
    Glad to hear all is well @cadels! Sorry to hear about the insurance difficulty though!