June 2015 Moms

Baby symptoms?

since we don't have a dedicated place to ask "is this normal?" or to find a common bond over baby symptoms I figured I'd start a thread.

I'll start. LO has this weeping ooze behind her ears. It's sticky and doesn't go away. She has cradle cap and heat rash but I don't know if anyone else has this and/or what their doctor said to do. It's gross.
TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.

Re: Baby symptoms?

• 3 weeks and my LO has heat rash too on the back of his shoulders from my hands when breastfeeding. his acne is also getting worse unfortunately
    and his bell fell off from his circumcision. not sure if its infected or not.
  • I thought LO had baby acne but now I'm convinced that she has heat rash of some sort from being so sweaty when she sleeps. It doesn't matter how cool I keep her, the poor thing gets so sweaty some nights (just like her Dad) ...I don't know what to do, but I'm just going to start washing her face with warm water in the mornings after her longer stretch of sleep to see if it helps at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our lo has what I thought was baby acne too but who knows its on her chest, stomach and face
    Also she tends to spit up every feeding. Sometimes a little and sometimes what seems like the whole dang bottle. I know spit up is normal but where's the line into being not normal? We have our 2 mo appointment Thursday so it'll be nice to get some answers then too
  • @katyertl I think the key to when spit up is too much is if it upsets the baby, or if it's truly projectile(then it can be pyloric stenosis).

My LO spits up a lot too. I've started trying to give her belly some time to settle before I burp her or give her a paci to hold it in. When I burp her. Pretty much whenever she lays flat she spits up though.
  • @katyertl mine spits up almost every feeding too. Most of the time it's just a dribble, but a few times this week she projectiled. My doc said it was ok as long as she's gaining and isn't doing it often. I'm mainly bf-ing but this week we started giving her a pumped bottle from my frozen stash with DH every day. I noticed today that the milk smelled a little funny. I gave it a taste, and it definitely wasn't right. I wonder if the milk I've been giving her went bad. We dumped that bottle, but had given her others this week. This probably isn't the case for you, but I would check the milk you give LO in case it's bad. I have no idea how it went bad since it was frozen and then thawed in the fridge overnight.
  • Anyone using the rock n play at night notice a dent in their baby's head?! I'm seeing one in LO and freaking out. She also sleeps in her swing during the day, but not that much! I really didn't want to move her to the crib yet.
  • @cait7425 sounds like excess lipase. Mine does the same thing when frozen. Is it metallic or soapy tasting?
  • Sjeff0816 said:

Anyone using the rock n play at night notice a dent in their baby's head?! I'm seeing one in LO and freaking out. She also sleeps in her swing during the day, but not that much! I really didn't want to move her to the crib yet.

Ours doesn't exactly have a dent, but he is 7 weeks old and I noticed that the back of his head seems flatter on the left vs. the right. DS1 slept in the same rock n play (and slept well) for 4 months with no issues. I am also stressing over this and just noticed about 2 days ago.

How often do your LOs poop? I noticed a significant decrease in frequency around 6 weeks. He is breastfed, and just went 3 days before popping. Granted, it was a big one when he finally went but still . He hasn't had any obvious changes in feeding patterns. I don't think it's a supply issue and I make sure to have him try to empty the first side to get that hindmilk.. I know all babies are different, but I'm curious as to what others are experiencing.
  • @Sjeff0816 it smells a little soapy, but the one I dumped today definitely tasted and smelled sour/rancid. I know a soapy smell is ok. I'll mention the lipase thing to our pediatrician when we go next week. Thanks for the advice!
  • @AlyLynn07 my LO definitely had a decrease in poop and he's 7 weeks today. I was going to ask my ped at our next appt because I thought they were supposed to poop more at this age so I want to make sure he's ok but you're not going through it alone!
  • cait7425 said:

@katyertl mine spits up almost every feeding too. Most of the time it's just a dribble, but a few times this week she projectiled. My doc said it was ok as long as she's gaining and isn't doing it often. I'm mainly bf-ing but this week we started giving her a pumped bottle from my frozen stash with DH every day. I noticed today that the milk smelled a little funny. I gave it a taste, and it definitely wasn't right. I wonder if the milk I've been giving her went bad. We dumped that bottle, but had given her others this week. This probably isn't the case for you, but I would check the milk you give LO in case it's bad. I have no idea how it went bad since it was frozen and then thawed in the fridge overnight.

If it smelled soapy, it may be a lipase issue. You can google it. There are ways to fix it but ultimately your milk is fine if baby will take it.
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    mellymar said:

*too tired, can't think of how to rephrase this, but I have two sons with one head each, not one son with multiple heads.

At just before 3am this is absurdly funny to me, sorry
    Made me laugh at 4:00 am too
  • Still laughed at 830A at that.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • My DD has sticky eye. It's like one of her tear ducts is clogged and so it actually over produces tears in that eye. I'm constantly cleaning it and was trying to massage the duct but it hasn't worked. Her two month appt is coming up but wondering if anyone else has this happening.
  • becacote said:

My DD has sticky eye. It's like one of her tear ducts is clogged and so it actually over produces tears in that eye. I'm constantly cleaning it and was trying to massage the duct but it hasn't worked. Her two month appt is coming up but wondering if anyone else has this happening.

My LO seems to have this too. I sit a warm wash cloth on the eye when I'm nursing and it seems to help, but hasn't resolved it completely. Anyone have any experience?
  • kbbtahkbbtah member
    @becacote yes, my LO is 4 weeks and has had a blocked duct for 3 weeks. It's almost cleared up. You can put a drop of breast milk in the eye to help heal. It's packed with antibodies. Good luck!
  • Breast milk cleared my son's eye up. Used a dropper to put it in his eye and massaged tear duct.
  • This isn't really a symptom, but I cannot get LO to nap during the day anymore. By the time I get him to sleep enough to put him down, he wakes up again. 20 minutes is all I can get out of him.
  • On my third baby with blocked duct here. This time it's worse so I asked the doctor. She said just massage and wait. She also said they don't try to correct until one year and that's by sticking a wire into the duct to widen it which can have complications. The only thing they'll do before then is antibiotics for the eye if the white turns red, basically the same eye goop they use at birth in the hospital.
  • mellymar said:

*too tired, can't think of how to rephrase this, but I have two sons with one head each, not one son with multiple heads.

At just before 3am this is absurdly funny to me, sorry
    11:20 pm and i laughed
  • btm013btm013 member

This isn't really a symptom, but I cannot get LO to nap during the day anymore. By the time I get him to sleep enough to put him down, he wakes up again. 20 minutes is all I can get out of him.

LO is the same' however he is sleeping better at night!
  • btm013btm013 member
    @AlyLynn07 yes LO started popping less at 6 weeks too. Sometimes he will go a full day without even going. Doc said it was normal. If he goes more than 4 or 5 days without one then he is considered constipated.
  • Thanks so much for your responses @btm013 and @LaurenAnn0405!
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    Is anyone's LO still pooping a lot? Mine is 7 weeks and still has 2-3 big diapers a day. He is EBF. I'm reading a lot of people saying theirs is slowing down...
  • amccoy129 said:

Is anyone's LO still pooping a lot? Mine is 7 weeks and still has 2-3 big diapers a day. He is EBF. I'm reading a lot of people saying theirs is slowing down...

We still have 2-3 huge ones daily too. EBF as well.
  • I find it hysterical that many people's autocorrect keeps changing pooping to popping.

We have had a decrease in number of poops per day, but every few days she poops more. We are ebf.
  • becacote said:

My DD has sticky eye. It's like one of her tear ducts is clogged and so it actually over produces tears in that eye. I'm constantly cleaning it and was trying to massage the duct but it hasn't worked. Her two month appt is coming up but wondering if anyone else has this happening.

LO had the same problem. Just squirt a bit of breastmilk in there every time you feed, massage in between. Clears up in no time.

My LO has what looks like a white head pimple on the end of one of his nipples.

• aj1327aj1327 member
    klkonwi said:

If anyone else comments on how my baby is Breastfed and should poop more because of it I'll scream! Between my mother in law, mom, and grandma they never stop saying this!!!! Get over it. He poops once a day or sometimes every other.
    Stop being so obsessed over my babies poop people..... Let me worry about it.

Lol! I was starting to worry mine is pooping too much because of what I've read both on here and in baby books. Can't win!
  • Yesterday we had his first day without a poop (he is 5 weeks). DH was a little worried, he didn't say anything, but I could tell. I got the sh!t shift today when LO had a huge poop this morning. I cleaned him up and put on a new diaper, and as I'm reaching for his muslin blanket, he took another big ol dump. At least it happened (literally) just after the new diaper went on. The second poop was just as big as the first. It would not have been a simple shart clean up, oh no. It would have a been a toxic waste dump cleanup, lol.
    I thought about texting DH at work to tell him about the poop and put his mind at ease, but I'm pissed at him right now, so if he wants to know anything he can damn well swallow his pride and ask.

Here's my 'is this happening to anyone else' question. Sometime when LO spits up it comes out his nose. I am assuming this isn't a terrible thing, its just something that happens sometimes, but hey, this thread is here so why not ask? Its not all the time, only when he spits up a lot at once
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor said with my second that the separation between throat/mouth/nose is not complete or mature yet which is why spit up can sneak out there. It happens with grown ups too, I've vomited out my nose before. (We had the norovirus in our house like 3 times during my first trimester. That was fun.)

This baby is still pooping 6+ times per day.
  • i think my LO may have an upper lip tie, we dont have any major issues with breast feeding, his upper lip is usually tucked in and he makes clacking noises and everytime it happens his latch slips a little. but he is gaining weight fast. so im not sure if i should bring it up at his next appointment?
    im just concerned it could affect his teeth later when they come in.

• @mellymar Yes! It comes out the nose :( It just seems so sad and pitiful but I think it's normal.
  • @JessHeppell I'd definitely bring it up but no one will probably correct it if not impacting feeding now
  • @mellymar sometimes LO will sneeze and it comes shooting out his nose. I've done some extensive googling and I think it's normal! It is hilarious and sad at the same time.. He doesn't seem to mind it too much though.
  • @JessHeppell mine has an ULT (and probably a posterior tongue tie because they go hand in hand). I have been researching extensively and am going for a consult on Wednesday. She is gaining weight fast but is extremely sleepy and still causes pain on my nipples. We can basically only feed in one position. I'm nervous reading about revisions and the pain LO will be in after...nervous about rocking the BF boat especially with all the issues we've had.
  • klkonwi said:

If anyone else comments on how my baby is Breastfed and should poop more because of it I'll scream! Between my mother in law, mom, and grandma they never stop saying this!!!! Get over it. He poops once a day or sometimes every other.
    Stop being so obsessed over my babies poop people..... Let me worry about it.

This would drive me nuts.. Tell them some EBF babies poop once every 3 days and it's completely normal.. And to kick rocks

• @JessHeppell mine too! My mom is a dental hygienist, and she said they usually don't correct it unless it is interfering with weight gain. My girl is gaining weight fine, but bfing still hurts for me since she can't get a great latch. I'm going to bring it up to my ped next time I'm there. And yes, it can effect their teeth aesthetics. My mom said that sometimes the extended frenulum will shrink over time.