Food Allergy

food allergies

Hello, I have a variety of food allergies. I'm wondering... When I have a child do doctors recommend getting them allergy tested before giving the child particular food if the mom is allergic.

Re: food allergies

• I have many allergies, and they did not. I was told to be extra careful with keeping track of when she ate what (until has tried everything) and to not try to rush introducing foods. (One new food at a time, at least 3 days served before next new food is introduced.)
    From what the allergist told me, the disposition to have allergies is genetic, but what they are allergic to is not. That being said, daughter was fine with eggs for the first three times she had it, then the 4th time had a crazy scary reaction to it!! She had never been exposed, as I am allergic, so it took longer for the allergy to show up. After that, any food I'm allergic to I serve 5 times before moving on to the next food. But that's just me being super cautious. Hope that is helpful, if you have more questions feel free to ask me.
  • Thanks so much for all the information. That really scares me. Would they have allowed you to get the baby tested if you preferred that? Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • You have to wait until they are about one to test (depends on what you pediatrician/allergist say). The problem is that if you have the allergy, your child has never been exposed to the allergen, either in utero or while nursing, like most kids would be. So, the test would then be the first exposure. It's common not to have a reaction the first time you are exposed to something (something about your body recognizing danger. An allergist could explain it better.). So, the test may not help you figure out your child's allergies as they have never before been exposed to the allergen.
    So, that would be something to definitely discuss with your pediatrician to see what they think is best for your situation.