December 2015 Moms
Options

Moms in Medicine

Hey Ladies,
   Are any of you nurses or doctors? I have some career questions that I'd like to ask you if that is okay. I'm doing some life mapping and advice from a mom working in the medical field would be really helpful. Let me know if you are available to chat please. Thank you in advance. 

Re: Moms in Medicine

• Options
    I'm an RN and wouldn't mind answering questions for ya
  • Options
    I'm also an RN and would be happy to answer any questions you have!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yaay! Thanks ladies
  • Options
    I'm an RN and now medical student, happy to answer any questions but this will be my first baby so all family focused ones would be information that mentors etc have given to me :)
  • Options
    I am an RN as well.
  • Options
    I'm a RN, too. Ask away!
  • Options
    @monaclemere @USCnurse42 @Kaitinperth @krick43 @metalmommy15

Hey Ladies,

Thank you so much for answering my post. I'm currently a teacher, but I aspire to go into the medical field. If I can make it work, I'd like to go to medical school. But this is also my first baby. I wanted some advice and opinions in regards to how I may go about this. I also wanted to know how you ladies are functioning as moms and medical professionals. My fiance supports whatever decisions that I make. He has openly said that he is okay with me being a doctor or earning my dnp, that it's up to me. He just asks that he finishes his degree first, which will take about 2 yrs or so, and I'm okay with that. I'm looking at doing a post bach, or maybe doing an accelerated nursing program, then a masters in nursing, and then doctorates in nursing practice. But I'm not sure what path to take. Do you have any advice or suggestions, future mom to future mom? Sorry to bombard you. I'm just excited to find some ladies to talk to about this. I also have done majority of my nursing pre-reqs, but because of the time frame and baby, I may have to do them over in a couple yrs and then apply. I'm okay with that too.

• Options
    I hope you don't mind me following your post. I tried nursing school. I was a tech for 5 years. I am considering going back later if health admin doesn't start panning out.

I am really excited for you! Nursing is awesome and challenging. There are so many fields to go into that each nursing job can be different from the next. Good luck!
  • Options
    I hope you don't mind me following your post. I tried nursing school. I was a tech for 5 years. I am considering going back later if health admin doesn't start panning out. I am really excited for you! Nursing is awesome and challenging. There are so many fields to go into that each nursing job can be different from the next. Good luck!
    No, totally follow the post. I made it public because I'm sure I'm not alone with these questions. Thank you for the support. I hope health admin works out for you too. Teaching is cool, but it isn't really my passion. I want to help people in a different way. 
  • Options
    Don't know if you'd be interested in ultrasound or not, but I'm always happy to answer any questions about my field. LOVE my job!! :)
  • Options
    @rhonash thank you! I appreciate it. 
  • Options
    Where do you live? There are a ton of hybrid (online & in person) programs in Boston which is where I live but I know that is a growing trend across the country.They usually take about 2 years to complete provided you have a bachelors in another field and have done the prerequisite classes. If you go that route you can start working and see what being a nurse is all about before committing to the DNP.

I was convinced I wanted to be an NP  but I have recently started a new job that gives me a ton of autonomy and is challenging in a really different way than working in the ICU. After starting this job I have decided to put NP school on the back burner for now. Not saying the same would happen for you but there is a big world of nursing and I think it is important to see what is out there! Best of luck!! 
  • Options
    I'm in the NY area @krick43
  • Options
    I am currently an NP although I went through a masters program. I would suggest building in a few years between a nursing degree and the DNP in order to get experience as an RN first if you go that route. You really need to become an expert nurse before becoming a successful NP. I was an RN for about 3-4 years before starting my NP coursework. I didn't have children at the time but many of my colleagues went through the program with small children and one even had a baby halfway through. Nursing is an amazing career in its flexibility for moms. Even as an NP I work 3 days a week which will leave a lot of time for my little one :)
  • Options
    I am an LPN. Not quite as much school as RN but depending on your situation it could be a foot in the door.
  • Options
    I am an LPN. Not quite as much school as RN but depending on your situation it could be a foot in the door.
    Girrrl I am a professional student! I will do 10381480318 years of schooling until I get to where I want. 
  • Options
    I nursing school before kids, so I don't know how that works. I do know that nursing school was really hard, I don't think I could've done it with kids.

I definitely agree with PP that you really need to become an expert nurse before moving on to becoming an advanced practice nurse. Book smarts only get you so far. Until you have adequate experience and skills, you can't excel as an APN.

If you already have a bachelors degree, there are accelerated RN programs that you can get done pretty quickly. Within 2 years. After that a great option is starting your Masters, etc while you gain experience as an RN. Take a class or two at a time. Tuition reimbursement is awesome.
  • Options
    I got my bachelor's before kids. It was a lot of studying and work. It may be beneficial while baby us young. You will be tired from baby getting up but also studying. I got my Masters when my middle was infant to toddler. I was overseas and chose a master's that is more education geared and I did not have to do a practicum. Now I have no desire to go back to school. I am in a role that I love.
  • Options
    @Jonesy288 had a 2 and 3 year old when I went through nursing school, all I can say is thank god for hubby lol so if your pregnant now and have to wait like 2 years before starting you will be in a similar situation I was in only I had 2. It's doable but it's way harder when u have the kids, don't overload yourself by taking a full coarse load, it will only stress you out to the max with the toddler and a full load! But I bet you will do great and I hope all the best for you!
  • Options
    Lots of ladies had kids when I was in nursing school, I think it's difficult to navigate but totally doable if you have a good support system. For our NP programs (I'm in Vancouver Canada) you have to have three years experience as a RN to apply, not sure how it is in the U.S.
  • Options
    My first bachelor's was in psych, then I was a stay at home mom for three years. When I decided to go back to school, I did a couple semesters of nursing school pre-requisites and applied for an accelerated BSN. It was a 14 month full time program. I had two kids at the time and had my third in the middle taking only a week off (and making up for it.) I worked as an l&d nurse for 7 years before going back for my master's in midwifery with 4 kiddos and one on the way. That was a 2.5 year program online with clinical done locally. By that time dh was a SAHD so I had to keep working ft as a nurse. Sorry for the long narative. I just like to share because I think anyone should follow their dreams and not get too intimidated by the process. It is definately doable.
  • Options
    @lymyrmo that wasn't lengthy at all. I liked reading your story. It helps let me know that it is doable. Thank you for that.
  • Options
    lmyrmolmyrmo member
    edited August 2015
    Glad to hear it ChiccoBeanz. The nursing field puts up a lot of hoops to make you just through to get into the field. But if you do a little digging, it can be done. I have seen many get discouraged by the process itself. I am sure you can do it if that is where your heart is. The medical profession has lots of different opportunities to find your niche.

Not that it matters, but my original post should have said "I was an L&D nurse for 4 years before I went back for my Master's." It was 7 years by the time I was done and got a job as a Certified Nurse Midwife. Like others said, I would definitely recommend working as a nurse in the specialty you desire for at least a few years before going on for your NP. While some programs let you jump from one degree to the next, the experience can't be read. As for your doctorate, I'd say go for it. Especially if you enjoy teaching. I think I am done with school for a while. Though dh will tell you I say that every time. Kind of like being done having kids when I am pregnant ;)
  • Options
    RN also! Was a surgical tech for 9yrs, got a bachelors degree in allied health then started an accelerated nuring program when my youngest was 8 months......All things are possible but a strong support system will be key! Best wishes!
  • Options
    Oh, and plan to go back for either NP or CRNA in few years :-)
  • Options
    If doctor is your choice....I am working my way to be a neonatologist... My opinion is try to volunteer and/work in a medical setting hospital or clinic. You will need this experience to enter medical school. Though it is not required it will greatly help your odds of being accepted. You could go to a community college for associates for transfer. You may have an major you wanted but you need the requirements for medical school which you can find on any medical school site. Biology majors are always compacted and medical schools are looking for variety in knowledge for example a friend of my got in with an English major UCSD and another with anthropology! You need to decide MD or DO. Do your very best in school keep GPA as high as you can and try to avoid and 'drops' or 'withdraws'... I have heard of many doing Associated of applied arts in nursing (RN) get a few years experience and then 2 years for bachelors of nursing and then to medical school... The patient experience seems helpful... Any questions let me know! :)