August 2015 Moms
Options

In labor...anything to speed it up?

my water broke and I'm in labor and delivery. My doctor lied and said I was 2 cm but I'm not even 1. I'm stimulating my nipples and it's helping move the contractions along...but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas on how to speed things up!

Re: In labor...anything to speed it up?

• Options
    Try walking
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree walk if they'll let you. Or just sit back and wait. Good luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Walk and then walk some more if they will let you. Do they have birthing balls? Unfortunately, if your not progressing I am with @CaliforniaDream87, Pitocin on deck.
  • Options
    gulimzgulimz member
    I'm kind of confused as to why your doctor would lie?
    If they let you walk like PP said, do that. Hopefully your labor will speed up soon and you wont need pit.
    Good luck to you! Wishing you a speedy labor and delivery
  • Options
    Good luck!!
  • Options

Why would your doctor lie about how much you're dialated?

Uh, so much this. First, I would be asking the doctor this question. Second, walk. Walk, walk, walk. Are you on the clock, meaning they're only giving you 24 hours after your water has been broken?

• Options
    Get to stepping :) Walking, swaying, bouncing, any kind of movement should help get things going. I've also heard that pumping can help get contractions going. GL!
  • Options
    Remember that everyone measures differently, some may think your a two and the next thinks your a one. Trust the doctor over the nurse, the doctor has much much more experience checking dilation! Good luck, hopefully it goes pretty quick.
  • Options
    Perhaps your doctor just had a different opinion on how open your cervix felt vs another doctor. It's not like they get up in there and measure!

I'd agree with the above, walk, nipple stimulation, and pitocin. I'm surprised you haven't been hooked up to it yet, but it should get you going. GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've heard of people using breast pumps while in labor to speed things up. No experience with it personally though. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My nurse came in here and said I was less than a centimeter. I told her my doctor said I was 2 centimeters. She talked to him on the phone looking my prenatal chart and he asked her how much I was dilated. She told him less than a centimeter and he said...oh. I lied because I couldn't really tell. And the nurses came back and told me that. Which isn't that big of a deal because my water broke and I'm having this baby tonight or tomorrow anyway. But I'll see if they'll let me walk. It might be annoying if water keeps pouring out of me though lol
  • Options
    I went in with DS at just barely 1 cm after my water broke and got hooked up to pitocin right away. Regardless, good luck!

• Options
    Walk. Birthing ball. If that doesn't work, pitocin. GL.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Walking and birthing ball! Lots of upright movement, help bring that baby down! I wouldn't do pitocin unless you are down to the last wire. Give your body time to work naturally. Pitocin can move things along faster than you are ready for and cause really intense contractions and complications!

• Options

My nurse came in here and said I was less than a centimeter. I told her my doctor said I was 2 centimeters. She talked to him on the phone looking my prenatal chart and he asked her how much I was dilated. She told him less than a centimeter and he said...oh. I lied because I couldn't really tell. And the nurses came back and told me that. Which isn't that big of a deal because my water broke and I'm having this baby tonight or tomorrow anyway. But I'll see if they'll let me walk. It might be annoying if water keeps pouring out of me though lol

This is very strange...I know its way too late to change doctors but wtf?
  • Options
    But question...if my water is constantly gushing out of me...how am I supposed to bounce on a birthing ball? Wouldn't it just get all over the place? They've changed my pad twice already
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Maybe just go with it? Don't stress.. You're having your baby. Try to enjoy it. Do what makes you comfortable and relax, baby will come. I'd be getting off The Bump and focusing on being present at the birth of my baby. If you don't think the ball is for you because of your waters then pick another position. Or get in the shower or bath.. But don't worry. If you're worried and tense I can only imagine that will slow the process down more. You get to meet your baby soon, no matter how it happens - that's really exciting. All the best.