December 2014 Moms
Options

Teeth brushing

how? When? And how often? Do you brush your baby's teeth?

Re: Teeth brushing

• Options
    lam374lam374 member
    I asked my dentist and he said as soon as you start to see teeth. He gave me a couple finger brushes. I try to do it in the morning and before bed. The bristles are super soft so it doesn't irritate their sensitive gums. I read online that you should ideally brush after ever meal, but who's got time for that, lol.
  • Options
    babymokaelababymokaela member
    edited July 2015
    I can never remember to do it even once a day. I'm so bad :( so do u brush the couple teeth that are out only or even the gums all the way back?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok so last night after her dinner I finally remembered to brush her teeth... Right after her last solid meal... Which made total sense to me. Than few minutes later I went to her room to breastfeed her at bed time and realized what da heck! Am I supposed to brush her teeth again after breastfeeding right before she sleeps?!??!! I really don't get this teeth brushing thing. Am I stupid? when they r older, it makes sense. Eat. Brush. Sleep. But with a 7 month old, she gets drowsy on my boob (I don't let her fall asleep on my boob) than I put her to sleep. It seems so silly to stimulate her with teeth brushing when she is drowsy on my boob just about to sleep. Someone please inspire me.
  • Options
    lam374lam374 member
    I spend most of the time brushing the teeth he does have and then I brush the gums a little too. I totally agree with you. Brushing after every meal just isn't happening. I just do it in the morning when I get him dressed and ready for the day and then again at night when I'm putting his pj's on. I think it's helpful to brush them to keep them clean but more so I think it's to get them used to it and to get in the habit of brushing your teeth everyday so it's not a struggle later on. That's my hope anyways :)
  • Options
    I've been brushing my LO's since he was a couple months old just to get in the routine. We use a regular baby toothbrush and usually do it once a day. I hold him while I brush mine and then it's his turn! He loves it! I do his two teeth and then his gums as well so he gets used to having the toothbrush in all the areas of him mouth. I sing the Raffi brush your teeth song while we do it. I agree that it's less about keeping the existing teeth clean and more about getting them used to the idea and feeling of brushing so that later it isn't as much of an issue!
  • Options
    That's sounds really fun. Thanks. I get it now about habit and routine so it isn't harder later. I will try that and will try to make it fun like you. Thank u
  • Options
    Anyone using toothpaste? I brush my guys teeth several times a day - he loves it. I'm the last week he's gotten three more teeth, in addition to his first two, and I think 2-3 more wont be long! Poor guy!
    BabyFetus Ticker