Baby Names

Love the sound, hate the look/spelling

2-Step2-Step member
edited July 2015 in Baby Names
Does anyone have names they love but just can't get past the way they look on paper? I am a writer and graphic designer so maybe I am more crazy about it than some people would be. Some names sound great, but when written down they just look unbalanced or wrong. Like the strength of the name is not reflected in its written form. 

For me the biggest one is Sean. I love the sound of the name and it's been on our list for both boys. It is also a family name, but I just think Sean looks awful on paper and I always want to say it - See-ann or something similar. I know in my head it is Sean. I know it could be Shaun, but I that is also the more common feminine version and I can't get past that either. What names do you like, but dislike the spelling or the way they look written on paper?

ETA: weird formatting fixed

Re: Love the sound, hate the look/spelling

• It could also be spelled Shawn. I prefer Sean though. I totally get what your saying about some names not looking "right" on paper.
  • flasflas member
    I'm a graphic designer too so I can understand what you're getting at :). I can't think of any names off the top of my head but I know there have been some.
  • Loading the player...
  • I chose my son's name (Isaac) because I love the way it looks, with the 2 a's together.
    I love biblical names and Eli and Job are both names that I love, but I can't get past seeing "Ellie" for Eli and Job (J-oab) obviously just looks like the word job!
  • I'm a photographer and so the visual aspect gets me too! There are names I like the sound of but won't use cause the spelling bothers me and "tastes" or looks displeasing aesthetically.
    I think there are also names for me that I love the spelling/way they look but hate the way they sound. Haha
  • 2-Step said:
    Does anyone have names they love but just can't get past the way they look on paper? I am a writer and graphic designer so maybe I am more crazy about it than some people would be. Some names sound great, but when written down they just look unbalanced or wrong. Like the strength of the name is not reflected in its written form. 

For me the biggest one is Sean. I love the sound of the name and it's been on our list for both boys. It is also a family name, but I just think Sean looks awful on paper and I always want to say it - See-ann or something similar. I know in my head it is Sean. I know it could be Shaun, but I that is also the more common feminine version and I can't get past that either. What names do you like, but dislike the spelling or the way they look written on paper?

ETA: weird formatting fixed
    To the Bold. Wut. 

A lot of Irish/Gaelic and some French names throw me off. Honestly, I now hate Vivienne. I am so tired of "It's so much prettier then Vivian!" No it's not. It's French and it's confusing.
  • mattandloramattandlora member
    edited July 2015
    They're the same name to me. The same!

Edit: Dunno what happened to the quote box there. But I'm referring to Vivian / Vivienne

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• 4N6s4N6s member
    I like Shawn.
  • To me Sean>Shawn>Shaun. There's only one right way to spell it (and yes, I'm biased. It's DH's and DS's name). Basically, any made up name looks bad on paper to me (see Brynnlee).
  • I live in wales and all the seans i no are mostly spelt sion.
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited July 2015
    Layla.

I have PTSD over the letter y right now due to the horrific trend of defacing birth certificates with Ys where they don't belong. I love this name however.

That and Leigh. Similar reason. The -leigh suffix abuse ruined the proper name Leigh for me. For good.
  • Prudence and Silas
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I feel the way about Shawn that you do about Sean. I just don't like the -aw. It makes me think of someone saying the name in a thick Southern drawl.

For myself, I can't stand names that are spelled one way and pronounced another. Like anything with -ann in it should be pronounced with a short A sound (as in apple). When people say Bree-ah-nuh when it's spelled Brianna I can't take it.
    Yes!!! As a "Briana" with one "N" (pronounced Bree-ah-nuh) I constantly have people pronouncing it as Brianna (Bree-anne-nuh). It's annoying and one reason I want a name for my child that has one spelling and one pronunciation.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kwaldykwaldy member
    @groovylocks Laila? Maybe an alternative but without the Y :)

Also, I like the spelling Sean over all other spellings of the same name. Although it never will negate the fact that I used to jokingly call a coworker "Seen" every time I saw him (his name is Sean), but I did it out of love, not because his name was spelled wrong.
  • Funny. I like Shawn because that's how it was spelled on Boy Meets World (I think) and I dated a Sean. That clearly didn't work out so I don't like it! Lol.
  • ashhsaashhsa member
    Dashiell, It's French I think?! And my cousins name and the second time I've mentioned it today, we pronounce it "dash-uhl" but, some will say "dash-eel" it's a tough one. I wouldn't use it as it would've annoying!
  • Linsbins said:
    Funny. I like Shawn because that's how it was spelled on Boy Meets World (I think) and I dated a Sean. That clearly didn't work out so I don't like it! Lol.
    Personal connotations also have me disliking Shawn more than I logistically should. My ex-boss who was a total skeevy prick was named Shawn and when I see the name I just think of his creepy face and stupid bald head. Sorry good Shawns of the world!
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• ecwkecwk member
    I loathe the spelling 'Shawn'. I suppose because I'm Irish it irks me to see it written like this!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Seamus. I always wanna say see-muss
  • Aaron. I can't stand the double a.
  • Layla. I have PTSD over the letter y right now due to the horrific trend of defacing birth certificates with Ys where they don't belong. I love this name however. That and Leigh. Similar reason. The -leigh suffix abuse ruined the proper name Leigh for me. For good.
    THIS!