March 2015 Moms

Any ones baby wanting to walk?

My LO is only 16 weeks but he would rather walk then crawl. If I hold him up he'll lock his legs and then start walking up me. His daddy will hold him up on the ground and he will walk around on his toes. When we do tummy time he very rarely tries to stay on his tummy and when he does he gets extremely frustrated trying to crawl. Any of your LO's wanting to walk on everything?

Re: Any ones baby wanting to walk?

• Mine does the exact same thing. He isn't interested in tummy time - though we still encourage him and do it a few times a day. But upright he's happy and definitely takes steps - assisted of course. Some babies do skip crawling all together. As soon as he's sitting up alone he's getting a little toy to stand/walk in!
  • Loading the player...
  • djolietdjoliet member
    edited July 2015
    My daughter is still working on rolling. ..baby's trying to walk at 4 months? Pretty impressive...
  • All babies are born with the innate want to walk. We aren't saying they ARE walking. Simply that they have more interest in being upright rather than crawling. If you didn't have anything productive to say why bother responding? @djoliet
  • I didn't know a response had to be "productive" in order for me to be able to respond to a post.
  • Well it certainly didn't have to be rude.
  • Some one told me that it's not good to put them in those stand/jump thing till they were like 6 months, does anyone know if that has any truth behind it?
  • My son loves his excersaucer where he can stand. The guide for that at least is 4 months. I think Johnny jumpers say 6 months

BFP 7/4/2014 EDD 3/9/2015
  • Been in our jumper for a month now almost two... She has great head control and jumps like a crazy girl in it! just put a blanket in there to fill out the seat a bit more. My LO is 26 inches long so Shes super tall to do it
  • I have heard it is a reflex as well and not to let them do it too much or it can cause damage, I am not sure what the facts are. My son seems to like to "stand" a bit when I hold him up but the crawling up me thing he hasn't started yet! I made a discussion earlier about milestones and I think the consensus is that every baby is different!

Also, since it was brought up about people being rude or unproductive, I just want to encourage us all to remember we cannot judge someone else's intentions or tone of voice in their post. I personally didn't take the PP comment about their baby still working on rolling offensive - I was thinking the same thing (per my previous discussion of feeling like my guy is behind when I read what some of your babies are accomplishing!).
  • My little man wants to stand all the time. I can stand him up and then loosely hold him to where I'm simply keeping him from falling over but not actually supporting anyany of his weight and he will happily stand there. He loves it! I've heard too early it can be bad but as long as they are wanting to do it on their own then they are ready and its OK. My guy likes tummy time but gets super frustrated trying to crawl. He can roll over on his own but not consistently. Sometimes he does it fine then other times it's like he forgets how he did it the last time. I haven't heard anything about jumpers/activity centers being bad but have heard that walkers can delay your child from walking. My little guy loves loves loves his jumper activity center.