August 2015 Moms
Options

Any encouragement for breech?

Anyone had any past success with breech babies moving into normal position? I have had several ultrasounds this pregnancy for growth and baby girl has been breech since 28 weeks (last scan at 34 weeks and now 35 weeks). She was head down at our anatomy scan. I have read the spinning babies site and been doing a few suggested exercises. Wondering if anyone has had their baby eventually flip on their own, when it finally happened, and if they had to/tried do any maneuvers to help. Trying not to lose hope she may do what she needs to but I know chances are getting slimmer with each week that goes by :(

Re: Any encouragement for breech?

• Options
    Sorry to hear this. My 8yr old was breach. They tried an aversion (to no avail). I hope you have better luck. They ended up having to do a c-section. What I can tell you about that is that it isn't the end of the world. It can be a bit daunting, but it was not horrible.
  • Options
    gmd88gmd88 member
    Practicing downward dog (yoga pose) is supposed to open up your torso and encourage baby to move to head down position. You could try doing that a couple times a day. I dont know details of how long and how frequent you should try because my LO is head down but my prenatal yoga instructor mentioned this. Good luck mama
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mines breech too, I have my 35 week ultrasound next week and my doctors gonna go over options with me. Luckily she said she avoids c-sections unless it's an emergency. Hopefully all goes well for each of us.
  • Options
    I just heard today to try peppermint essential oil around your down area!! Apparently the baby likes the smell of it and try's to go to it..?!?? I would look up the exact way to do but it couldn't hurt!
  • Options
    My OB recommended Chiropractic adjustment, the yoga poses doing pelvic tilt, and even said that the midwives have had success with having their patients dive into a swimming pool or putting frozen veggies near the baby's head so s/he will move away from the cold. My 2nd was breech and it ended in c-section. This one has been breech the whole time and finally flipped last week after watching a movie. It was super painful since I'm 35 weeks and LO is good sized! But I'm thrilled he finally flipped!
  • Options
    My first baby actually flipped on her own without me doing anything at 37 weeks and she was just shy of 8 pounds at 38w5d when she was born. You still have time. PP about yoga is a good idea if you are worried but in reality only about 5-10% of babies stay breech. As an L&D RN I have had babies flip the day of a scheduled c/s and the procedure is cancelled and an induction scheduled instead so there is always hope! And my first was breech my entire pregnancy until the day she flipped.
  • Options
    BafryBafry member
    I was breech up until about a week ago. I'm only 33wks, but I was nervous like you. I felt her flip and then at my u/s on thur they confirmed she had flipped. I wouldn't worry if I were you but I know thts easier said then done
  • Options
    mrsyoshidamrsyoshida member
    edited July 2015
    I'm doing the yoga pose several times a day and sometimes that gets her transverse, and then she just goes back head up when I stand up/sit.

I've not heard the frozen veggies idea before but if her head is still in my ribs (not enjoying that!) just before my 34 w scan I'll give it a try and see!
  • Options
    ewiwooewiwoo member
    My first was breached almost until the last week. Once he flipped head down I took a looooong walk and wore a pregnancy belt i bough at babiesrus just to keep him from flipping again. He didn't and I had a vagina birth. This baby seems to follow his brothers footsteps. Don't worry I heard about babies flipping right before c sections. :D
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My second was breech. I did everything they suggested on the spinning babies website and she flipped at 37 weeks. Don't know if it helped, but she did flip.
  • Options
    My little one is transverse and my OB recommended the cold veggies/ice while laying head down off the couch at an angle on an ironing board or firm board large enough to rest on. (I did end upfind this position on spinning babies.com if you need a visual)Said the baby could shy away from the cold and move to head down. I like you have been doing pelvic tilting and will start trying the cold next week if she hasn't flipped. It's hard not to stress! Hang in there...hopefully your little one will flip soon!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Next ultrasound is next week at 37 weeks so will keep fingers crossed! Was feeling a bit mean about the cold veggies near her head but I may get desperate :)
  • Options

My OB recommended Chiropractic adjustment, the yoga poses doing pelvic tilt, and even said that the midwives have had success with having their patients dive into a swimming pool or putting frozen veggies near the baby's head so s/he will move away from the cold. My 2nd was breech and it ended in c-section. This one has been breech the whole time and finally flipped last week after watching a movie. It was super painful since I'm 35 weeks and LO is good sized! But I'm thrilled he finally flipped!

Did you do the chiropractic adjustment? I will have to pay out of pocket for this and just wondering if it's really helpful/necessary...
  • Options
    For me the big thing would be that I wouldn't schedule a csection just because LO is breech. I would give baby every possible moment to flip and wait to go into labor on my own. If during labor, LO hasn't flipped and my OB decided there wasn't any more time to wait, then I would agree to a csection. I've heard of breech babies flipping in labor. I had breech twins that literally had no room to flip so I had no choice. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ds was breech at my 32 week scan. Im 35 weeks today and at my ob appt they said he felt head down. I have an ultrasound next week so hopefully he stays! I havent done anything different
    DS 8/13/15 
    Blessed  <3o:)
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat, found out at 34 weeks he was breech. I've been basically throwing the book at him, doing breech tilts off the side of the bed, chiropractor doing Webster maneuver three times a week, burning moxibustion next to my pinky toes (feels totally silly lol) and I tried the ice thing but he didn't seem to care... Now 36 weeks and he's still breech so we have an external cephalic version scheduled for next Tuesday. Not super excited about it as I hear it can be painful and there are risks involved but research shows it works about 60% of the time.

If that doesn't work we are looking at scheduling a c section at week 39 :( super bummed because I was trying to do an all natural, med free water birth.

Try the spinning babies maneuvers and in the meantime I'll be crossing my fingers for both of us!!
  • Options
    I just found out at 36.5 weeks that she's breach. I was so disappointed as I really wanted to try natural birth. Does anyone know if these tricks to get them to flip actually works?!? I'll try anything at this point. If she's not flipped by next week they want to schedule a C-section around 39 weeks
  • Options
    4foxsake4foxsake member
    edited July 2015
    I'm doing the hypnobabies program and I believe they have a track called turn breech baby, or something to that effect. It couldn't hurt to try listening. I've heard some people have success with it.
  • Options
    My little guy was breech and I kept doing the spinning babies positions. At first they weren't working, but one day, while he was VERY active, I tried it and I totally felt him move head down. I guess I needed to do it while he was hyper enough to do the work ;-)
  • Options
    annaw14 said:

I'm in the same boat, found out at 34 weeks he was breech. I've been basically throwing the book at him, doing breech tilts off the side of the bed, chiropractor doing Webster maneuver three times a week, burning moxibustion next to my pinky toes (feels totally silly lol) and I tried the ice thing but he didn't seem to care... Now 36 weeks and he's still breech so we have an external cephalic version scheduled for next Tuesday. Not super excited about it as I hear it can be painful and there are risks involved but research shows it works about 60% of the time.

If that doesn't work we are looking at scheduling a c section at week 39 :( super bummed because I was trying to do an all natural, med free water birth.

Try the spinning babies maneuvers and in the meantime I'll be crossing my fingers for both of us!!

This is exactly my situation, as well.
  • Options
    Sigmalove said:

I just heard today to try peppermint essential oil around your down area!! Apparently the baby likes the smell of it and try's to go to it..?!?? I would look up the exact way to do but it couldn't hurt!

Peppermint essential oil can cause a burning sensation. I would never put it "down there" for any reason. Plus, I'm pretty sure your baby can't "smell" anything whilst still in the womb!

• Options
    My baby just flipped breech last week at 34.5 weeks. Here goes the diving, upside down board laying, etc.! We're any of you successful on getting them to turn?

• Options
    My prenatal chiro said to try handstands in the pool. He's seen it work several times. Also said a homeopathic remedy is taking 30C of pulsatilla. 5 in the morning and 5 at night
  • Options
    Try the pelvic rock.. Look it up..