1st Trimester
Options

DNA Screening Tests

With the advances in medicine there are so many things they offer now. I am not sure how I feel about taking this test or whether it will freak me out too much. Any thoughts?

Re: DNA Screening Tests

• Options
    I'd rather take the DNA test than the screening ultrasound.
  • Options
    I had a Materni21 test but I had to pay out of pocket for it. The peace of mind was worth the money to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My office uses Counsyl Family Prep Screen. There are different versions but they test hundreds of possible health conditions that could be passed on. I actually did mine at my 10 week appointment and should get the results back next week at my 12 week. I was very hesitant to do it because in my mind I'm like "do I want to know if I carry something?" You can be a carrier of something even without family history, symptoms, etc. If you test positive for something they bring in your SO to get tested as well to see if he is a carrier for the same condition there is typically a 25% chance your child will be affected if you both have the same condition. It can be scary which I'm hoping for a healthy baby but it will also let you know if you need find a different doctor for that condition, special diet, etc anything to be prepared for it. 

Some insurances may cover some of it but also others will have to pay out of pocket. It could range literally from like $20-$1500 depending on your insurance. If your cost is not too high then I would say do it just for your information. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    What is the concern about the ultrasound screening?