Baby Names

Too Popular??

Maybe it is because I am listening for it now. But since we have decided to name DD Hannah I feel like I am seeing/hearing it everywhere! I know it is in the top 30 names, I just don't know if it is just because I am looking for it now. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Too Popular??

• I always felt Hannah was a very common name growing up. I knew tons of Hannah's. But honestly in this generation I haven't heard of one little girl named Hannah.
  • I see a lot of Hannahs in the 10-15 age group. My niece is also Hannah, will turn 3 soon

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Loading the player...
  • I think Hannah is a lovely name. While it is more popular, I only know 3 or 4, ranging in age from 5 to 14.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I know a lot of Hannah's ranging from toddler to adults, but I'm Jewish and have many friends/acquaintances who are too and it's always been common for Jewish girls.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• The other name we had was Madeline. But since I am not crazy about the nickname "Maddie" my DH said to let that one go since it is bound to happen.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Maddie would definitely happen. There are soooooo many Maddie's and Addie's now, I think it's overdone.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Sounds like a case of confirmation bias. I think it'll be fine.
  • I love Hannah, and although it is popular, so is Madeline (and especially Maddie). I think it is a classic, beautiful biblical name that will not go out of style. I have known a few Hannahs, but I feel like it is very similar to my name, Elizabeth, in that it is used, but because it is not trendy, she won't be one of five Hannahs in her class.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• I don't think it's super common anymore. My son is two and there are no Hannah's in his class or in our little play group. I think it was more popular on the mid nineties.
  • Sounds like a case of confirmation bias. I think it'll be fine.
    You are 100% correct. I just needed some confirmation. Thank you ladies! I don't know why I would think about changing it. I really do love the name and she has been Hannah since we found out we were having a little girl. So why change a good thing?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Confirmed: peaked in the 90s.https://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/hannah

Hannah is a name that rises and falls in popularity, but is never really out of style.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• ecwkecwk member
    It's not the most popular name I've heard though I do have three Hannahs in one of my high school classes. That being said, I think it's a beautiful name and you should go with it!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know quite a few Hannah's. But two of my friends both picked out boys names, that they said they didn't feel was popular and they never heard of anyone else with the name After they both had their son's they both mentioned that they hear the names all of the time. So I think that sometimes you are more prone to hearing the name, when you already have the name in your head that you are using (or have used). 

I didn't know anyone with my daughters name, and in the past 3.5 years since I named her....I have met two adults (that are friends with our family members), two dogs, a little girl at swim lessons, and a little girl at a home and garden show.....with the same name. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I like Johanna more!!
  • I agree that it has peaked in popularity. With teens, it feels very common, but not with younger kids. I love it, and it definitely feels less popular than Madeline.