June 2015 Moms

FFFQ: flame free Friday questions 7/24

Re: FFFQ: flame free Friday questions 7/24

• Out of curiosity, am I the only mum here who doesn't swaddle? We tried it the first few nights but LO just kept wriggling out of it. We switched to baby sleeping bags and he seems to be happier with that. I think he's just naturally too wriggly to like swaddling. At night he usually falls asleep after a feed, but sometimes he wakes back up when I put him in his bassinet - he'll spend 5-10 mins happily wriggling and kicking his legs then goes back to sleep by himself.

we dont swaddle either. he has always loved to move his arms, even with his startles he stays mostly sleeping (i remember in the hospital he threw his arms out, hit the side of the plastic bed thing and didnt wake up) we do wrap him in the day time occasionally but its never tight. he is a kicker for sure. just like me. my parents used to have to pull my blanket off the floor and put it back on me at night. :P
    We were told by the pediatrician not to swaddle with the arms in per the latest recommendations. We swaddle arms out or sleeping bags. She likes the bags the best. Always has her arms above the head when she sleeps.

• Can your boobs just stop producing? I went to pump today and only a drop came out! I usually get around 2-3oz. What's happening!

I'm skeptical that production would completely stop overnight. Are you getting enough food and water? Taking any meds that could interfere with production?

The only thing i changed was I started drinking coffee again! My diet has been bad since baby in general though. Lots of snacks, no real meals. I tried pumping again and it was a little better! The change was just so abrupt
  • Loading the player...

• Can your boobs just stop producing? I went to pump today and only a drop came out! I usually get around 2-3oz. What's happening!

I'm skeptical that production would completely stop overnight. Are you getting enough food and water? Taking any meds that could interfere with production?
    The only thing i changed was I started drinking coffee again! My diet has been bad since baby in general though. Lots of snacks, no real meals. I tried pumping again and it was a little better! The change was just so abrupt

Check your pump to make sure it's not mechanical. Replace the valves, check the connections, etc. I was told that a drastic decrease is usually the valves being sucked in or torn. Hope that helps!
  • So how often do you all bathe your LO? We are still going with the every 3 days from what the nurses at the hospital told us too. But she's almost 8 weeks and I'm wondering if we should start doing it more?
  • We bathe lo 1-2 times a week (4 weeks old), with sponge baths in between.
  • Out of curiosity, am I the only mum here who doesn't swaddle? We tried it the first few nights but LO just kept wriggling out of it. We switched to baby sleeping bags and he seems to be happier with that. I think he's just naturally too wriggly to like swaddling. At night he usually falls asleep after a feed, but sometimes he wakes back up when I put him in his bassinet - he'll spend 5-10 mins happily wriggling and kicking his legs then goes back to sleep by himself.

we dont swaddle either. he has always loved to move his arms, even with his startles he stays mostly sleeping (i remember in the hospital he threw his arms out, hit the side of the plastic bed thing and didnt wake up) we do wrap him in the day time occasionally but its never tight. he is a kicker for sure. just like me. my parents used to have to pull my blanket off the floor and put it back on me at night. :P
    We were told by the pediatrician not to swaddle with the arms in per the latest recommendations. We swaddle arms out or sleeping bags. She likes the bags the best. Always has her arms above the head when she sleeps.
    Weird... Our ped told us to swaddle arms in and down at night. Our guy also likes to sleep with his arms over his head but he will end up startling himself awake moving his arms if we are following the 'let him fall asleep in the pack n play' philosophy. I've tried having his arms loose when it was hot, he wouldn't fall asleep in there, only while nursing or being soothed. With his arms in he can be put down awake but drowsy and fall asleep in there. Here's the thing, tho - the ped didn't know LO flings his arms everywhere when he made that recommendation. Hmmm...

Also, I have an idea why, but does anyone know the for real reason why you're supposed to put them in bed awake and let them fall asleep in there vs rocking them to sleep and THEN putting them in there? My theory is so they learn to self soothe and also set the stage for later in life when it will be impractical to hold them until they are asleep, but I'm curious if that's the deal or not
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bathe LO every other day. I'm a freak about him smelling like spit up though....plus he has quite a bit of hair and I can't stand it looking greasy.
  • mellymar said:

Out of curiosity, am I the only mum here who doesn't swaddle? We tried it the first few nights but LO just kept wriggling out of it. We switched to baby sleeping bags and he seems to be happier with that. I think he's just naturally too wriggly to like swaddling. At night he usually falls asleep after a feed, but sometimes he wakes back up when I put him in his bassinet - he'll spend 5-10 mins happily wriggling and kicking his legs then goes back to sleep by himself.

Weird... Our ped told us to swaddle arms in and down at night. Our guy also likes to sleep with his arms over his head but he will end up startling himself awake moving his arms if we are following the 'let him fall asleep in the pack n play' philosophy. I've tried having his arms loose when it was hot, he wouldn't fall asleep in there, only while nursing or being soothed. With his arms in he can be put down awake but drowsy and fall asleep in there. Here's the thing, tho - the ped didn't know LO flings his arms everywhere when he made that recommendation. Hmmm...

Also, I have an idea why, but does anyone know the for real reason why you're supposed to put them in bed awake and let them fall asleep in there vs rocking them to sleep and THEN putting them in there? My theory is so they learn to self soothe and also set the stage for later in life when it will be impractical to hold them until they are asleep, but I'm curious if that's the deal or not
    I didn't ask why about the "arms out" swaddle. Just three years ago they recommend arms in. It's always changing and DS is totally fine. I say do what works for you. :)

As for putting them to sleep awake, but drowsy, it's teaching them how to fall asleep on their own without your help. It comes into play when they start to sleep through the night. They will often wake in the middle of the night and this will help them put themselves back down. I resisted this theory for a while, mostly because it's easier to nurse or rock them to sleep. Ultimately DS didn't sleep through the night until 8 months old. So the joke was on me. Easier, but not better. It's a skill they need to have, especially as a toddler when they move to the big bed. It will be torture if you have to soothe your LO later every time they need to rest. They will learn the skill at some point though, so do it when the time is right for both of you.

Someone else on here also mentioned that when the baby falls asleep in one location (moms boob) and then wakes up in a crib, it can startle them. This holds merit too.
  • 7425cait7425cait member
    edited July 2015
    Can someone please tell me why all of a sudden when my LO pulls away from nursing, milk shoots her in the face and will continue for a few seconds? I've been nursing for four weeks without this problem. The only time this occurred in the past was when I waited too long to nurse and I was engorged. When it's happening now, I'm nursing every 1.5-2 hrs.

Just to add, Im hesitant to pump after she eats because I don't want to over produce. I would like to get on a rhythm/schedule at some point with her.
  • @cait7425 this happens to me too and sometimes it's caused by another let down after she's been eating a while. I'll let her pull away and just squirt into a burp cloth until it stops then put her back on.
  • @cait7425 this happens to me too and sometimes it's caused by another let down after she's been eating a while. I'll let her pull away and just squirt into a burp cloth until it stops then put her back on.

That's what I figured. I did the same thing with the burp rag. I didn't expect another let down since she only nurses for about 5 minutes on each side
  • alcrimminsalcrimmins member
    edited July 2015
    @dancegurl1118 Thank you! Glad to know I was already doing that! <:-P
  • For some reason every day during my LO afternoon nap in my arms she cries while sleeping...I rub her face to calm her and she will stop and continue sleeping... What is up with this?
  • lwyzlwyz member
    Have any of you had issues with your babies not wanting anything to do with DH? The second DH tries to cuddle with LO he starts rooting and wants to eat. DH thinks LO hates being held by him and is acting all chill and like he's okay with it but I know he's sad, plus I'd like to be able to leave LO with DH for a little while without him screaming. :/
  • @lwyz even right after he eats?
  • lwyzlwyz member
    @janit368 Yeah, he eats pretty frequently, though, so that factors in, I guess.
  • @paige0704 my kid does this too. Often he will rip a big fart a few moments later, but not always.

@lwyz My husband can't hold LO in any of my BF positions or the kid will try to nurse. Could that be it? Or could DH play with LO while he's in a bouncy chair or play mat or something, to start?
  • @lwyz could hubby give her a pacifier to suck while he holds her perhaps?
  • @paige0704 my LO does this in the middle of the night too, I've found it usually means one if a few things... he needed to burp, he's warm or needs a swaddle. Each of these I can usually help with before he wakes and he falls back into a deeper sleep.

@cait7425 this happens to me as well. I suspect I have an oversupply of milk because it happens so often and LO gulps, and sometimes even chokes while nursing. To try to slow things down for him I recline while feeding. Hope your LO isn't as effected by it. Best of luck!

• DS sometimes has such bad gas pains/belly aches that he refuses his bottle. We have tried gripe water and gas drops and neither seem to help. I've seen people on here raving about probiotics. Do we need dr approval before using them, or is it just an OTC thing we could get? Any brand in particular that you would recommend? My poor guy is in such pain sometimes that I'll try anything to make him feel better!

Pregnancy Ticker

• HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited July 2015
    @kristenk727 Our doc recommended Gerber soothe drops. It's OTC.
  • Any tips or tricks for surviving a PP appointment with their LO? She tends to be good in the car seat, but if the car stops moving, and she's still in the car seat, and wakes up...oh it's BAD. Last thing I want is her in the car seat screaming while the GYN is between my legs checking my stitches and who knows what else. :/ help?
  • Any tips or tricks for surviving a PP appointment with their LO? She tends to be good in the car seat, but if the car stops moving, and she's still in the car seat, and wakes up...oh it's BAD. Last thing I want is her in the car seat screaming while the GYN is between my legs checking my stitches and who knows what else. :/ help?

If it's any consolation I'm sure they've had screaming babies before. At my doctor there's a good chance that a friendly nurse would scoop her up for a cuddle, too.
  • upandbelowupandbelow member
    edited July 2015
    This may have been answered already, but I can sympathize with the gas pains! My LO is squirmy when it's gas, kicking or moving her arms around as though she's trying to push the gas out. Tummy time almost ALWAYS works to get some of the gas out.

ETA: quote fail - this was in response to @MurLindzz
  • I'm behind on the boards (July baby). I've searched but cant find a thread where symptoms of silent reflux are being discussed (we can see LO swallowing sick, hoarse voice and painful groaning and squirming after feeds) - does anyone know where this is being talked about?
  • @kristenk727 I second the Gerber probiotics, that was what our ped recommended as well. They're OTC from any big pharmacy.
  • momtobe613momtobe613 member
    edited July 2015
    Anybody who is following wonder weeks: did your LO cluster feed incessantly and refuse to be put down during leap one? How long did it last? The app says I have four days left in this leap and I don't know if I can do four more miserable nights.
  • Anybody who is following wonder weeks: did your LO cluster feed incessantly and refuse to be put down during leap one? How long did it last? The app says I have four days left in this leap and I don't know if I can do four more miserable nights.

Yep, this was my life lol. It lasted about 4 days for us. He is 6 weeks today, he still cluster feeds at night but he is back to A normal sleep routine now. Those 4 days were a little bit of hell.
  • swiebe said:

Anybody who is following wonder weeks: did your LO cluster feed incessantly and refuse to be put down during leap one? How long did it last? The app says I have four days left in this leap and I don't know if I can do four more miserable nights.

Yep, this was my life lol. It lasted about 4 days for us. He is 6 weeks today, he still cluster feeds at night but he is back to A normal sleep routine now. Those 4 days were a little bit of hell.
    Thank you for letting me know. Was praying it wasn't going to be four days.
  • So I have the wonder weeks app and I know they tell you to use your due date but sometimes I feel like it doesn't refer to her much. My LO was 4 weeks early so I feel like it's always a little off
  • @rrcameron21 I agree with PP on checking out your pump. I had to replace my tubing because the end that hooks to the pump were stretched out from leaving them in and just letting them hang (per LC).
  • This may sound very strange, but does anyone have experience with making one of their breasts in operable? In the past week my left boob has had two clogged ducts, LO has had trouble latching on that side since day one, and it still feels like needles are going into my nipple every time she feeds on that side. The right boob has no problems. It even produces much more than the left. Is it possible to only feed on one side? Would I need to pump the other every time she eats? I hope to god my left figures this nonsense out before I give up on nursing all together.
  • Anyone else's LO really hard to put down to sleep at night? We swaddle, have day/night cues, do diaper change between boobs and not at the end, and wait until he is in deep sleep, but he wakes up screaming about 5 minutes after being placed in bed. This happens pretty much the entire night. Daytime is not quite as bad, but still difficult. Would love to hear any tips/tricks. He is 4 wks, btw.
  • how important is the special routine before bedtime?
  • My right breast produces 5-6 oz and my left produces only 3.... Sounds like a lot of us on here have this issue?!
    I just consider it normal I suppose......
  • @klkonwi My left produces more than my right, but neither gives me 5-6 ounces in one shot! Lucky!

@cait7425 That sucks you are having trouble with one side! DS prefered my left to my right at first (which coincidentally is the side that produces more). I would ask a doctor or lactation consultant about the pain you are having before giving up. If nothing else, bf'ing is free! I personally just pumped for awhile to take the pressure off and when we resumed there were no problems. Good luck!
  • Stress directly affects production. I can say this first hand. At first I was so focused on having enough for a stash and freaking out and the minute I stopped stressing my supply got better. I do use lactation supplement (pills) from the honest company for the record. It's fenugreek and other things
  • ^^^^^^ me too! Curious
  • KarasTwin said:

I wonder if your dominant side has to do with production, I'm left handed and when I was BFing/pumping my left side produced more. It seems like most people are producing more on the right side which makes sense as most people are right side dominant. I'm really curious if there's a direct correlation

I'm a righty and my left produces almost twice as much as my right side does. I keep trying to boost production on my right but am not having much luck.

Pregnancy Ticker