January 2016 Moms

Will you get the flu vaccine while pregnant?

2»

Re: Will you get the flu vaccine while pregnant?

• I'll be definately getting vaccinated for whooping cough (is that the DTAP?..), but not the flu shot. Completely pro-vaxer, but the only two times Ive had the flu have been right after receiving the flu shot (and Ive only had the flu shot twice!).
  • Absolutely 100%. After not having the flu since 2006, I accidentally let getting the shot slip last year, and got the flu. It was the worst - I had a stomach aspect to it too (not sure if that is all the strains). Personally, I believe the flu can kill and therefore if a shot decreases the likelihood of getting something deadly - than why not? Baby will be in daycare so I think it's particularly important.
  • Loading the player...
  • nanampnanamp member
    @bo17 - Maybe they were offering the nasal spray. That version isn't recommended for people with weakened immune systems (like pregnant women). The injectable vaccine should have been fine. Perhaps the people administering it weren't qualified to give them to a pregnant woman.
  • I am. Plus: making all the family get it. I might sound crazy, but if you want to meet my newborn... Make sure you got the flu shot. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mama to one girl: born 12/2009. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • SummerOH said:

MMLmeow said:

No. I have an allergy to an ingredient. 

Do you have an allergy to eggs?  That's the main allergy that was cause for concern in the past.  The CDC recently reversed that advice, though, and now says it's safe to get it.  If it's a different allergy, then ignore me!

That would be easy if it were eggs. I can't tolerate a preservative that they use. Dr isn't quite certain which one but my mom and sister have the same allergy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • bo17 said:
    I am a teacher and get it every year by choice but last year I was pregnant and they wouldn't give it to me pregnant. Not sure if that's an Ontario regulation. Asked at the pharmacy and Dr. Ended up miscarrying so went to get it then. Will follow Dr recommendation this year.

Nope, not an Ontario thing. I got my flu shot when I was pregnant with DS 2 years ago. I didn't use to get my flu shot even though I worked in a school but I'm not willing to risk my baby's life.
  • How long should I, and family wait before baby is born to get the whooping cough and flu vaccines? Is there a time when its too close to the Birth they should avoid? we have a lot of family coming in from out of town and want to know when to tell them they need the vaccine
  • SummerOHSummerOH member
    edited July 2015
    @babybluu I think they should get it at least a month in advance to be effective, if I remember correctly. I know the flu shot takes 2 weeks to be effective.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• of course I will.
    1.0&2.0 7-29-11

• KaraEpp16 said:

Soap boxers - you have changed my previous position on this.

I'm assuming to the position of getting it?

99% of issues I'm pretty "eh, do what you want" but I will step high on the box when it comes to vaccines.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the majority, I'll be getting it. Work requires it, and I got it during my last pregnancy as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is on the list to talk to the doctor about. I really want to keep the baby safe, and I have no issues getting the vaccine, but I always get so sick afterwards.
    Lurker here

It's pretty safe to say that your doctor will recommend you to get it. Especially when you will be pregnant and have a baby due during flu season. I would be leery of one who didn't advise it.

• Def getting a flu shot.  I'm in close contact with clients all day long, and want to avoid germs as much as possible!
  • Yes I will be....I never get sick but the idea of getting the flu while pregnant makes me uneasy. Not to mention we will be in doctors offices, maybe hospitals with sick people.
  • I absolutely will! And encouraging (maybe requiring?) family/new grandparents etc to get it too. Their fear of needles should not be more important than baby's health.
  • I won't be getting it. I never do.
  • g8trkim said:
    This is on the list to talk to the doctor about. I really want to keep the baby safe, and I have no issues getting the vaccine, but I always get so sick afterwards.
    Lurker here

It's pretty safe to say that your doctor will recommend you to get it. Especially when you will be pregnant and have a baby due during flu season. I would be leery of one who didn't advise it.

I had a feeling she would tell me to get it, and like I said, whatever I need to do to keep LO safe I gladly will. I have just ended up in the hospital because I had such bad reactions in the past (hives +vomiting= no fun). I wanted to make sure she agreed that the benefits outweighed the risk. I have no idea what I am doing, and so I always want to double check everything with my OB. She probably thinks I am a hypochondriac at this point. ;)

• miltonsmamamiltonsmama member
    edited August 2015
    I'm conflicted - I've developed a terrible association with vaccines and pregnancy - I got one early in a pregnancy several years ago, then had a missed m/c with absolutely no symptoms that wasn't discovered until about 4 weeks later. The date I received the vaccine was within 1 day of the estimated last day of fetal development of the baby.
  • The rest of my post keeps getting deleted!! Argh!! Anyway, I work as an RN and would have to wear a mask if I don't get one. I will most likely get vaccinated......and while I KNOW my experience was extremely coincidental but probably unrelated to the flu shot, it's hard to be logical and just forget that happened!
  • mg137mg137 member
    edited August 2015
    je&moeder said:

I do not get any vaccines while pregnant, except Rhogam.

Same. (Except without the rhogam bc I'm Rh positive) I have an inflammation/immune system disease that can be bad for baby when it flares so I'm a little extra nervous about anything that causes additional inflammation while I'm pregnant. I got Tdap last year in the hospital right after my girls were born and everyone in the family got all caught up on boosters. Everyone will get flu vaccines besides me.
  • 98% sure I will.
  • I will not be getting the flu shot. I'm not an anti-vax mom by any means but I haven't had a flu shot in 10 years and do not plan on changing that. This is my very honest opinion but I fully believe my clean eating diet has helped prevent me from getting sick. I can't tell you the last time I had a cold or was even sick. *DISCLAIMER* this is not a push to get people to change to clean eating this is just my opinion and my belief on what works for me. To each their own.
  • Yes. Anyone, including pregnant women, with a weakened immune system should get a flu shot.
  • I will not be getting the flu shot. I'm not an anti-vax mom by any means but I haven't had a flu shot in 10 years and do not plan on changing that. This is my very honest opinion but I fully believe my clean eating diet has helped prevent me from getting sick. I can't tell you the last time I had a cold or was even sick. *DISCLAIMER* this is not a push to get people to change to clean eating this is just my opinion and my belief on what works for me. To each their own.

No judgement here, but I do encourage you to realm to your doctor and read up on the subject before making your decision.

• g8trkim said:

I will not be getting the flu shot. I'm not an anti-vax mom by any means but I haven't had a flu shot in 10 years and do not plan on changing that. This is my very honest opinion but I fully believe my clean eating diet has helped prevent me from getting sick. I can't tell you the last time I had a cold or was even sick. *DISCLAIMER* this is not a push to get people to change to clean eating this is just my opinion and my belief on what works for me. To each their own.

No judgement here, but I do encourage you to realm to your doctor and read up on the subject before making your decision.
    Thanks for your opinion, but I have done plenty of research on the pros and cons of getting a flu shot. I have also discussed my decision with my PCP and midwife. They are both ok with my decision not to get the flu shot.
    Thanks for your opinion, but I have done plenty of research on the pros and cons of getting a flu shot. I have also discussed my decision with my PCP and midwife. They are both ok with my decision not to get the flu shot.
    Gotcha! And btw my stupid autocorrect put REALM instead of SPEAK. Errr.

• Is anyone else's doctor informing them of what others who will be close to baby must have? Reading & hearing about showing immunity and/or getting necessary vaccines before baby arrives for:
    Flu
    Tdap for tetanus/diptheria/pertussis
    MMR measles mumps rubella or immunity
    Varicella for chicken pox or immunity
    Pneumococcal for pneumonia

Anyone else neurotic like me on this? I work in healthcare, I will be trying to be as careful as possible & pushing everyone around baby to have these or stay away, like for real. Show me your titers...I want to see lab work lol. Yup I'm a lab rat ;-)
  • I'm not debating whether someone should or shouldn't get the flu shot but people should be informed that the flu vaccine does not protect you 100%, not even 95%....No one wants their child to die from the flu, no one wants to expose their child to life threatening disease but is the flu vaccine may not be offering the level of protection for your family that you assume it is?

Last season's effectiveness...

"From this, the CDC estimate that the flu vaccine has reduced an individual's risk of visiting a doctor due to flu by 23%. This result remained after accounting for patients' age, sex, race/ethnicity, self-reported health and the number of days between illness onset and study enrollment.

Vaccine effectiveness against H3N2 viruses was estimated to be highest among children and adolescents aged 6 months to 17 years, at 26%. Vaccine effectiveness was lower among adults aged 18-49 and 50 and over, at 12% and 14%, respectively.

The report authors say their findings show the effectiveness of this season's vaccine is relatively low, compared with some seasons where vaccine effectiveness has reached 50-60%."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288153.php

"Dec. 4, 2014 -- Flu season is well underway, and the CDC says the flu shot may not be offering as much protection as experts had hoped.

“So far this season, influenza A -- H3N2 viruses -- have been detected most frequently, and in almost all states,” said CDC Director Thomas Frieden, MD, MPH, in a telebriefing with reporters.

“Unfortunately about half of the viruses in cases that we’ve identified this season are different than the ones that are included in this year’s vaccine. The vaccine won’t protect against these viruses".

Each year, several months before flu season starts, scientists and vaccine manufacturers from around the globe make an educated guess about which strains of flu will be most common in the coming year, giving them time to make the vaccines before the season begins.

But in some cases, these guesses can be wrong, or viruses can mutate while the vaccine is being made. Even in a “well-matched” flu vaccine year, the vaccine is only 60%-90% effective."

https://www.m.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20141204/this-years-flu-vaccine-less-effective-than-hoped

A condom with 12%, 14%, 26%, 50% or 60% effectiveness would be considered a joke.

I just wish the flu shot was better than a "guess" and consistently had a higher rate of effectiveness so that people are actually being better protected.
  • MamaHollandMamaHolland member
    edited August 2015

The column "Adjusted Overall VE%" is the vaccine effectiveness for the last ten seasons since 2004 (10%, 21%, 52%, 37%.......).

This is published by the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/effectiveness-studies.htm

• SummerOHSummerOH member
    edited August 2015

Eh, the VE is usually around 50% for the past 6 years.  Last year was a blooper, which happens.  I'll take those odds compared to, you know, ZERO percent.  Wearing my seat belt doesn't guarantee I won't be hurt, but I don't run around bragging about NOT wearing it, citing some stats where it's not 100% effective.  You can do everything right and still have a heart attack or get cancer.  That doesn't mean you don't try to take the best care of yourself you can.

And actually, just for fun, I googled seatbelt stats.  Guess what?  It "only" reduces your risk of death by 45% and injury by 50%:  "Seat belts dramatically reduce risk of death and serious injury. Among drivers and front-seat passengers, seat belts reduce the risk of death by 45%, and cut the risk of serious injury by 50%.4 "

https://www.cdc.gov/Motorvehiclesafety/seatbeltbrief/

So basically the exact same stats as the flu shot.  Funny how that works!  Are you going to not wear your seatbelt now?

(Sorry for the quote format.  Mobile and it's doing funky things.) 

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• SummerOH said:

Eh, the VE is usually around 50% for the past 6 years.  Last year was a blooper, which happens.  I'll take those odds compared to, you know, ZERO percent.  Wearing my seat belt doesn't guarantee I won't be hurt, but I don't run around bragging about NOT wearing it, citing some stats where it's not 100% effective.  You can do everything right and still have a heart attack or get cancer.  That doesn't mean you don't try to take the best care of yourself you can.

And actually, just for fun, I googled seatbelt stats.  Guess what?  It "only" reduces your risk of death by 45% and injury by 50%:  "Seat belts dramatically reduce risk of death and serious injury. Among drivers and front-seat passengers, seat belts reduce the risk of death by 45%, and cut the risk of serious injury by 50%.4 "

https://www.cdc.gov/Motorvehiclesafety/seatbeltbrief/

So basically the exact same stats as the flu shot.  Funny how that works!  Are you going to not wear your seatbelt now?

(Sorry for the quote format.  Mobile and it's doing funky things.) 

I love everything you've said here.
  • Yes love that. ^^
    That is always my go to response to anti flu shot. I've never been in a car accident and I drive really safe and avoid all the risk factors so why do I need a seat belt??!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml