February 2016 Moms

Anti-JKa Antibody

I am 11 weeks today and received a call yesterday from the NP at my OB office saying that they had some results from my initial blood work at my 6.5 week appointment. Everything looked good except they found a positive antibody on my red blood cells called Anti-JKa. The referred me to a high risk doctor because my OB says she had never seen this antibody before and that the high risk doctor will know how to handle it better. I've done some googling and as always there's horror stories and stories saying it's no big deal.

I have 2 year old twins and this antibody was not present in my pregnancy with them so this is all new. Has anyone dealt with this before or dealing with it now?

I'm a bit worried. I see my OB Wednesday and the high risk Dr on Thursday to explain it all to my husband and I and to start more blood work.

Re: Anti-JKa Antibody

• I tested positive for antibody M with my first pregnancy and was referred to a MFM doctor. My doctor didn't really know what antibody M was or did, so it's still a bit of a mystery. The most important thing to ask is whether or not the antibody can cross the placenta. Antibody M could not, but I still had to have blood taken at every appointment to check my titers. If the levels went up it would have been cause for concern, but thankfully mine did not. I think the worst case scenario would have been an in utero blood transfusion, but luckily it never came to that for me, just lots of poking, prodding and extra monitoring. My baby was born perfectly healthy and did not require any NICU time.

Btw that baby is now 2 and I'm expecting twins this time around, so I'm kind of your pregnancy opposite
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • krabskrabs member
    I have SSA antibodies so am high risk and have to have baby's heart monitored every week starting at 18 weeks. Sorry I don't know about your condition...