2nd Trimester
Options

Yeast infection

2nd yeast infection this pregnancy

Re: Yeast infection

• Options
    As my doctor would say "you can have them on and off the whole pregnancy".
  • Options
    ...What about it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And???
  • Options
    Sorry didnt finish it, my phone sent anyway. What did your dr give you for it?
  • Options
    mac-n-cheesymac-n-cheesy member
    edited July 2015
    I had one at 18w. Took the 7 day monistat vaginal suppository cream. Was told by my OB to specifically NOT take the 1 or 3 day course of treatment because it most likely would fail. He also told me the oral pill (Diflucan) for a yeast infection is not recommended until after the first half of pregnancy.
    Also, they tend to be recurrent, so I was advised to keep a close eye out for any subtle symptoms. I didn't have any external/internal burning or itching at all and my doctor explained this was because my immune system was weaker and the response to the infection was suppressed. When I finally did go in I just had the typical yeast infection discharge and horrible vaginal soreness (speculum was EXTREMELY painful).
    The 7 day monistat cleared it up. Just make sure to finish the course even if you start to feel better sooner.
    *edited for clarity*
  • Options
    When I was younger I used to get yeast infections pretty regularly, so when I had one during my first pregnancy, I knew exactly what it was.  My OB said any version of Monistat has been deemed safe during pregnancy.  I had previously used Monistat 1 a number of years ago, and it just didn't seem to work as well.  Since then I've always used Monistat 3.  I used the Monistat 3 ovules during my pregnancy, and they worked perfectly.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies this is my third pregnancy lost first two babies and was really cautious with this one havent taken any medicine and im 20 weeks
  • Options

My doctor gave me a prescription for a 7 day cream when I was pregnant. He feels that it does a better job than Monistat. He said that in pregnancy it's very important to treat them, as they can be harmful to baby if it gets out of control.

Yeast infections pose no risk to baby at all. They can be extremely uncomfortable for mom, but are completely harmless. OP I used canesten, for 5 days and it worked like a charm, however I also had reoccurring yeast infections this pregnancy as well.
  • Options
    I used Monistat 3 day suppositories and it cleared right up. That was 14 weeks ago and I haven't had a reoccurrence. Just make sure you only insert the applicator 1/2 way so you dont irritate your cervix.
  • Options
    I am 18 weeks and my OB prescribed diflucan, she said it is safe. If you are concerned just go to your doc and they should be able to prescribe something safe for you or suggest an over-the-counter medication.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

My doctor gave me a prescription for a 7 day cream when I was pregnant. He feels that it does a better job than Monistat. He said that in pregnancy it's very important to treat them, as they can be harmful to baby if it gets out of control.

Yeast infections pose no risk to baby at all. They can be extremely uncomfortable for mom, but are completely harmless. OP I used canesten, for 5 days and it worked like a charm, however I also had reoccurring yeast infections this pregnancy as well.
    I was thinking UTI, my fault.
    Yes UTI during pregnancy can cause preterm labor, can lead to kidney problems and other serious problems. BV is also another concern for preterm labor ! I was thinking you had those mixed up.
  • Options
    You can use Monistat 7 day for it, but after using three courses mine would not leave. The problem is that your body doesn't have enough probiotics to fight off the bad bacteria causing the yeast infection. I began taking a probiotic and within a week the yeast infection was gone and I haven't had one since. Feel super balanced! Plus it helped my digestion too =]
  • Options
    I'm on my second yeast infection this pregnancy and I'm only 15.5 weeks along. Problem is I was so scared to take the medicine for the second time that it's prolonging the infection. I was prescribed Miconazole which is the generic kind, but it's not doing much. I will go out and buy Wal-Mart's brand since it's always cleared away yeast infections for me prior to pregnancy. 
    TTC my #1 with PCOS since June 2010.
    Countless Clomid&Femara Cycles.
    Feb. 2014-April 2015=AF arrived on time. 
    EDD: January 14, 2016. Finally.image
    Expecting One Healthy Baby Girl!!!
  • Options

I'm on my second yeast infection this pregnancy and I'm only 15.5 weeks along. Problem is I was so scared to take the medicine for the second time that it's prolonging the infection. I was prescribed Miconazole which is the generic kind, but it's not doing much. I will go out and buy Wal-Mart's brand since it's always cleared away yeast infections for me prior to pregnancy. 

Yeast infections will go away on their own, and can also return with or without treatment.
    During pregnancy your yeast infection could last longer then non pregnancy yeast infection also.