November 2015 Moms

UTI causing contractions.

juleyaspenjuleyaspen member
edited July 2015 in November 2015 Moms
I went in for my appointment to check on my low amniotic fluid and it is back in the normal range. Yay!

But--I'm now on modified bed rest because I've been having contractions. I seriously thought nothing of it because I remember having them with my son, but didn't even consider that it was until much further along. Ugh, pregnancy brain. After my appointment my doctor called to say it looks like I possibly have a uti and they were sending my urine off to the lab to check.

My first question is..has anyone had contractions from a uti? And did they go away pretty quickly once you started the antibiotic?

Second question.. I'm a SAHM..Any thoughts on how to entertain an almost two year old while on modified bed rest?!

ETA: my son is almost two YEARS old..not two months like I originally posted. Thanks @VexedMommy for the heads up.

Re: UTI causing contractions.

• I'm going to assume you mean an almost two year old. 

Can you get her to make animal noises for you or pretend to be a dog or cat?  Maybe you guys could play ball.  You could roll it from the bed and she could chase after it.  Sing lots of songs and read some books for as long as she'll sit still.  Have a dance party. You could stay in the bed and wiggle a  bit and she could dance on the bed holding your hand so she doesn't fall or jump off.  (I know it's a bad habit to start, but desperate times call for desperate measures and all that.)
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I'm going to assume you mean an almost two year old. 

Can you get her to make animal noises for you or pretend to be a dog or cat?  Maybe you guys could play ball.  You could roll it from the bed and she could chase after it.  Sing lots of songs and read some books for as long as she'll sit still.  Have a dance party. You could stay in the bed and wiggle a  bit and she could dance on the bed holding your hand so she doesn't fall or jump off.  (I know it's a bad habit to start, but desperate times call for desperate measures and all that.)

Bahahaa yep..absolutely. An almost 2 year old little boy. But he would still love dance parties and such. Thank you for the suggestions!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had contractions caused by BV last pregnancy so it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that a UTI could cause them too. As for entertaining your toddler maybe a movie day,  give her a mani/pedi. have your SO hide things at night and send her on a treasure hunt complete with map.
  • I don't have experience being on modified bed rest however I did have contractions cause by a bladder infection. The hospital stopped the contractions before I left and then sent me home with antibiotics. Are you still having the contractions?
  • Actually the fFN swab came back positive, which doesn't fully mean anything they said but it's the fact that it's not negative so my doctor sent me to labor and delivery to be monitored. Of course all the tightness and contractions stopped once they have me laying in a bed here!
  • Actually the fFN swab came back positive, which doesn't fully mean anything they said but it's the fact that it's not negative so my doctor sent me to labor and delivery to be monitored. Of course all the tightness and contractions stopped once they have me laying in a bed here!
    That sucks on both accounts. Please keep us updated, T&Ps that everything is ok and LO keeps on cooking.
  • Thanks @dogsombrero ! Looks like they're about to send me home, but I did just have my first little contraction since being here. Only 24 weeks, baby girl hopefully stays in for a while!
  • Yes! A UTI absolutely can cause contractions or preterm labor. Not exactly sure why. My doctors have always told me to stay hydrated and make sure I don't go too long without peeing and not to hold it for too long. Additionally being dehydrated can also cause contractions.

Glad to hear you are doing better and your little one is staying put!

As for the bed rest. I don't know how much help I can be. It was this type of situation that began my sons curious George addiction! He was such a busy kid that calm activities like coloring just wouldn't keep him busy for long. I did get one of those bed tables and some blocks and we would spend hours building block towers and knocking them down.
  • nbpa3027 said:

Yes! A UTI absolutely can cause contractions or preterm labor. Not exactly sure why. My doctors have always told me to stay hydrated and make sure I don't go too long without peeing and not to hold it for too long. Additionally being dehydrated can also cause contractions.

As for the bed rest. I don't know how much help I can be. It was this type of situation that began my sons curious George addiction! He was such a busy kid that calm activities like coloring just wouldn't keep him busy for long. I did get one of those bed tables and some blocks and we would spend hours building block towers and knocking them down.

Thanks! I love the blocks on the table idea. I try to limit my little guy's TV time, but I agree with you it's almost inevitable that they will be watching more. We have Planes on right now.

They changed it from modified to almost strict bed rest..phooey.
  • nbpa3027 said:

Yes! A UTI absolutely can cause contractions or preterm labor. Not exactly sure why. My doctors have always told me to stay hydrated and make sure I don't go too long without peeing and not to hold it for too long. Additionally being dehydrated can also cause contractions.

I heard infections cause contractions because your body is trying to get the baby away from the danger. Not certain if there is any truth to that. Will have to ask my doctor next time I go.
  • @helskos I read the same thing today! So interesting.
  • RaisingJulianRaisingJulian member
    edited July 2015
    I got a pretty bad UTI with my son that caused me to go into labor 3x because they kept having to up my dose of medication to get rid of it. I was already 37 weeks by then but they told me my contractions were caused by the UTI
  • I got a pretty bad UTI with my son that caused me to go into labor 3x because they kept having to up my dose of medication to get rid of it. I was already 37 weeks by then but they told me my contractions were caused by the UTI

Oh wow! I'm glad everything turned out okay. That's crazy. I felt like I was one of those people that was just making things up in my head about the contractions, but my doctor took me way more seriously than I was treating it.
  • I've had multiple UTIs in my pregnancies. And the way I know I have one now is I notice more contractions. So yes, they can cause it. ... And in saying that I have an antibiotic at the pharmacy right now waiting for me
  • My doctor told me when the bladder is irritated from a uti that causes the uterus to become irritable..causing contractions..she told me to take the antibiotic s and pound the water!
  • I see you ladies saying that you were having contractions. What do they even feel like ? I know silly question, but I'm just curious. I feel like I would be dumbfounded when the time comes cause I would know if it was a contraction or a pain saying you have to poop