January 2016 Moms

Will you get the flu vaccine while pregnant?

jem8407jem8407 member
edited July 2015 in January 2016 Moms
I am a teacher who rarely falls ill; however I am curious about the flu vaccine this year to keep the fetus healthy.
I did read all other threads but did not see one about our vaccines.

Will you get the flu vaccine while pregnant? 216 votes

Yes
75% 163 votes
No
24% 53 votes

Re: Will you get the flu vaccine while pregnant?

• I'm only a yes because my job makes me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup. But we have to be sure to get the one that is thimerosal free. Thimerosal contains trace amounts of mercury (less than some fish, but still) and isn't recommended for pregnant women.
  • mamaksweezmamaksweez member
    edited July 2015
    I never got a flu vaccine until I was pregnant with my first. My doc told me I should get it and anyone who will be around my child, husband, parents, etc.

So of course I got it then, and I will get it this time too! Like a pp said I'll get the TDAP when I'm pregnant too! (Whooping cough)
  • I will be getting it this year, but the egg-free option. I don't have an egg-sensitivity, but if I get the one with the egg I get so so ill afterwards!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am in the same boat as you.  I am a teacher and knock on wood, I have NEVER gotten the flu shot, nor have I fallen ill to the flu or any flu like symptoms.  I will be getting it, for the simple fact that I am pregnant, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.  
  • This is on the list to talk to the doctor about. I really want to keep the baby safe, and I have no issues getting the vaccine, but I always get so sick afterwards.
  • Yes. Flu and TDAP
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • I'm terrified of TDAP, and it's definitely on the list to talk to my doctor about. I had it done about 3 years ago for school, and ended up in urgent care, so so so sick. It's not possible to just get the pertussis solo, because the vaccine is so weak it doesn't exist.
  • Teacher too. I haven't had the flu in 15+ years and don't usually get the flu vaccine. I will be getting it this year because it would be my luck to get it when pregnant. Also want to save my sick days for my leave time.
  • SovvySovvy member
    I do not get any vaccines while pregnant, except Rhogam.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • je&moeder said:

Same. I'll get the TDAP after delivery like last time.
  • I'm a teacher and will definitely get the flu shot! Thanks @monaclemere for the reminder about those around baby having the pertussis vaccine-I had totally forgotten about that one!
  • Work makes us get the flu shot. If not for that, no. I've never had the flu (knock on wood) and I work in a primary care office so I'm around it all flu season. But thanks to the baby I'll be missing part of flu season due to maternity leave! :)
    Love: 03.04.06
    Married: 07.14.14
    BFP: 04.05.15
    EDD: 01.08.15
  • No vaccines for me while pregnant. I got my TDAP booster last year and I don't get the flu shot (I've had the flu once in the last 10+ years).

To be clear- I'm very pro vaccines, but getting them while I'm pregnant makes me uneasy.
  • l4rkl4rk member
    I wasn't planning on it, because I don't get the flu vaccine anyway. I have to go out of my way to make it happen so it's never been part of my routine. Plus the vax people just take a guess at what strains will emerge in the upcoming year so it's not a sure thing like other immunizations, and I'm in a low risk category for serious flu complications.

But now that so many people said yes, I'm going to bring this up with my midwives at my appt on Tuesday and see what they say.
  • I've never gotten the flu vaccine or gotten the flu. My son always gets the vaccines. He had the flu once when it was randomly around outside of the "season" for it. My job is now requiring everyone to receive it so flu shot for mommy this year too.
  • I get the flu every year because I'm immune compromised to begin with. I've never had an issue with it until my last pg, had a slight reaction, feeling sick and weak. But ill get it this year. I refuse, downright, to get the TDAP because I got it in 2011, and it lasts 10 years, not to mention got high heart rate, severe body aches and fever last time, for 4 days. im not going to do that while pg. I understand why they push vaccines, but I don't agree with the pressure to get the TDAP over and over again when the booster lasts 10 years.
  • I got it when I was pregnant with dd. last year I got the flu 3 times tho!! Disadvantage of DH and I both being teachers and dd being in day care. Too many germs!
  • N1col3N1col3 member
    I work in healthcare so I am required to get it. I'd probably get it either way since I'll have an infant during flu season
  • sck601sck601 member
    I've never had a flu shot (even when I was pregnant with DD) even though I rarely get sick, I will do it this time, since this LO is going to be a winter babe.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm a teacher and I always get it, I'll be getting it as soon as I can along with Tdap, I already warned my Mother (who will be watching the baby) that everyone in her house must get them as well. She said it was fine with her.
  • Yes, especially with baby being born in flu season.
  • I am extremely undecided on this and will be asking my doctor for sure. I have never had the flu and have never had the flu shot, so I am not sure what would be recommended, but we will see. I'm leaning toward getting it just to avoid unnecessary risks but no doubt I'll be one of the weird ones that gets a bad reaction and regretting it. lol.
  • I got it last time and the TDAP (it didn't hurt like people told me it would...I noticed the flu shot more).

I have a BAD immune system and I am listening to my doctor on this one. Since our son is in "school" twice a week, I think it's even more important this time. My hubby doesn't usually get any shots and he researched it and decided he wanted TDAP and the flu bc of my pregnancy. He won't even take Tylenol when he has the flu. So, vaccines it is for us this time!
  • I'm a teacher too, and never ever get the vaccine or the illness. But this year I will probably give in and do what's best for the baby. I'm so afraid of how I'll react to it!
  • Both the flu and TDAP. I always get the flu vaccine because I work in the schools. I was told that not only are they good for you, but also the reason we get the TDAP booster before the baby is born is so it can somewhat protect the baby when they first come out, it obviously isn't as effective as them getting the vaccine themselves, but every protection helps. That is why they will give it again even if you just had a booster a year or two ago.
  • I get the flu vaccine every year, because I am a teacher. DS gets it too. Kind of bummed that baby is coming during flu season, the hospital I am delivering at doesn't let any children in to maternity during flu season! I am not sure about TDAP since DS is less than 2 and I got it right after I delivered.
  • The flu is dangerous for preggos. A friend of mine was in the hospital for a week with the flu when she was pregnant.
  • Yes yes yes! Both flu and Tdap. I've had them with both pregnancies and especially having a baby born around flu season this time I think it's super important to give him/her protection!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not while pregnant, last year I got the flu shot and miscarried a week later. Weather it's related or not I'm not taking the chance, I've heard to many stories of women losing their babies after the flu shot. I will most likely get the shot after the baby is born though.
  • kmo8986 said:

I get the flu vaccine every year, because I am a teacher. DS gets it too. Kind of bummed that baby is coming during flu season, the hospital I am delivering at doesn't let any children in to maternity during flu season! I am not sure about TDAP since DS is less than 2 and I got it right after I delivered.

I didn't even think about not letting kids in during flu season! Fingers crossed for a uneventful flu season!
    I thought the same thing about getting the Tdap again but part of getting it is for the protection of the baby too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No. I have an allergy to an ingredient. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • SummerOHSummerOH member
    edited July 2015
    MMLmeow said:
    No. I have an allergy to an ingredient. 
    Do you have an allergy to eggs?  That's the main allergy that was cause for concern in the past.  The CDC recently reversed that advice, though, and now says it's safe to get it.  If it's a different allergy, then ignore me!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• je&moeder said:

Same!
  • bo17bo17 member
    I am a teacher and get it every year by choice but last year I was pregnant and they wouldn't give it to me pregnant. Not sure if that's an Ontario regulation. Asked at the pharmacy and Dr. Ended up miscarrying so went to get it then. Will follow Dr recommendation this year.