March 2015 Moms

Very Active Sleeper

I know babies are supposed to be active and move around their crib during sleep but I'm running into some problems with my son.  He's 15 weeks and so far he's been sleeping in a co-sleeping crib next to our bed.  It's not as big as the crib we intend to transition him into in his own room, in fact, it's seeming quite small these days.  Lately, my son has been waking up because he's actually gone sideways in the crib and he's so long that his neck is at an awkward angle.  I suspect he may sleep a little longer if this didn't keep happening.  I'm worried that he may be getting too big for the co-sleeper.  I really wanted to keep him in our room until at least 6 months but I'm thinking we might have to transition earlier, which I'm dreading.  Has this happened to any of you?  Any advice?

Re: Very Active Sleeper

• My LO can still fit but she sleeps with her head bent back all the time. She sleeps in her crib some and still does it in there.
  • My LO has been in her own room since three weeks, and she does great. When I put her in her travel PNP when we've been to visit my parents, she ends up turning so that she's cramped up sideways. She usually just moves in the mornings when she's almost awake, but not quite up. No real advice on making the transition, but it was easy for us to do so for us and now we both sleep better. Good luck with the transition. Maybe you'll find some other way to keep your LO in your room until you're ready, too. Maybe a full size PNP would be better if you have the room for it?
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm dreading transitioning my LO to sleeping in his own room. He wakes in the morning around 7 and I put him in the bed with me so I can sleep a little longer. Probably a bad habit but I'm hoping one that I can easily break. :(
  • We transitioned at 5 weeks. Best advice is not to pick up when fussing. I'd let her ride it out (within reason.. If it was a hunger cry or diaper cry id get her right away) for 10 minutes. If she still fussed I'd put my hand on her tummy and hum quietly for a few minutes and that got her back to sleep... Now we run into the issue of the excessive moving in the crib and her sticking her arms out and not being able to figure out how to pull them back into the crib. She will cry out and we just move her. Normally once her arms are back in the crib she gets her thumb in her mouth and self soothes back to sleep!
  • @klcarr19 Thumb suckers really are the best, aren't they? I love the fact that my daughter can self-soothe so well.
  • @AGM0616 yes!! She's so good at self soothing! Although as an ex-thumb sucker myself my parents fought me well into the 2nd grade to break me of the habit. And as a 4th grade teacher I've seen thumb sucking in my classroom... It terrifies me I won't ever break her of it! Haha! For the the time being... It's perfect!
  • I wish my son would self soothe. Right now it's like click work at 1 and 3 am to get up and give him his pacifier

BFP 7/4/2014 EDD 3/9/2015
  • @AGM0616 That's a great idea about the full size PNP!  We used ours one night when we first moved into our new home.  I just never thought of it.  I know I'm being a bit precious but I'm just not ready to move DS to his own room yet.  I love the convenience and reassurance of having right next to me.  
  • @sierrah856 have you tried a wubbanub? The little animals attached seem to help LO put it back in their mouth when it falls out bc they don't fall as far.
  • My LO is currently still in her basket next to my bed! Dreading transferring her to her own room in her crib, but I know it's going to have to happen soon as she's growing out of her basket so quickly and my bedroom won't fit her crib in as well as all the other junk! I worry that she thinks I've gone walkabout when she wakes up as she's used to seeing my face looking at her, waiting for her to put her fist back in her mouth and self soothe!
  • I was in the same boat about transitioning my daughter to her own room and crib. I loved having her in her pack n play right next to me. But the raised platform only goes to 15 lbs and my baby is in the 80th percentile for weight so now I'm less than a pound from it being unsafe and I don't really want her on the floor level as her normal bed. And now she has started lifted and letting her legs fall repeatedly when she is trying to fall back asleep and it was so loud! We put her in her crib just a few nights ago and everyone has actually done great with the transition and it has been easier than I expected to just grab her from her crib when she wakes up to eat, put her in bed to nurse, and put her right back in her crib when she is done. So maybe give it a try to see if it works for you too?