3rd Trimester

sciatic pain

I am 36weeks 4 days and have been having left side sciatic pain for a week now. The last 2 days I can barley walk. Anyone else having this? Any advice for relief?

Re: sciatic pain

• I have had it in my right leg since week 12. I broke my back 4 years ago, so this was no surprise to me. It literally has made me fall at the most random times when i was walking just fine. Walk slow! This way you can feel it in your leg before you fully put weight on it to prevent falling. I am sure you know already, but it is scary to fall. It usually takes a lot for me to cry, but i once fell and landed on my stomach. It scared me so much i just sat in the parking lot (where i fell) and cried for about 5 or 10 minutes. You can get used to walking slow. Also, doing the "Cat - Cow" exercise can position the baby right in your uterus so you don't have her sitting on those sciatic nerves. I drive a stick so i have to use both feet, and when it acts up, i have to pull over and i literally do the "cat-cow" exercise wherever i am. It can be embarrassing, but i would rather not be in pain. So other than walking slow and the "cat-cow" exercise, you can do hot and cold therapy on your back, where the nerves are being pressed to give you that shooting pain down your leg. Never do just heat. I hope this helps!
  • I've had bad sciatic pain since week 10!! Around week 26 I finally broke down and saw a chiropractor. What a relief!! Now I see him once a week- also I swim a few times a week.
    When It gets bad I sit and put my legs up, that helps. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I got some bad sciatic pain at 37 weeks but it went away after a few really good rub downs from hubby. Have him start at the feet, then move up the backs of your legs to your butt and then around your hips and lower back. The upwards motion with circulate the blood up to the heart. If hubby can give you a nightly massage that would be ideal. We use stretch mark cream so it's doing double duty! Also, ice for 20 min on, 30 min off helps and feels really nice in this July heat. 
  • ElecinElecin member
    Have you ever tried foam rolling? I have pretty bad sciatic pain at the moment and foam rolling eases my pain immediately. Sometimes I have to do it twice per day if I've been a little too ambitious (nesting). But truly it's saved me. There are a bunch of YouTube videos that I've used to reference.

Good luck!!