March 2015 Moms

Solid food time?

We got the green light from our doctor to start solids! My LO is weighing in at a solid 16lbs 15oz and 26inches long. She's completely took interest in what we are eating and mimics us at the table, so she is ready! We have done rice cereal and peaches (separate) as of right now. After a couple more days with peaches we will start green beans. Just curious, how many have started solids? Are you making your own or buying? If making your own what are your favorites to make (unique from the classics)?

Re: Solid food time?

• we plan on waiting at least until 6 months to allow her stomach lining to continue developing etc.

my 3 year old loved avocados - really good fats/brain food
  • We also got the ok from the pediatrician, but will be waiting till 6 months. We will start with rice cereal and poi. Our older daughter loved okinawan sweet potato, butternut squash, and green beans. I will be making her baby food, it's pretty simple and saves a lot of money. I'll be introducing veggies first. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • We are still waiting for the four month visit and ok to start foods, but we plan on starting at the end of the month. My plan is to start slow with rice cereal and adding whole foods (bananas, avocado, and sweet potato in particular) during the first few weeks. And if she hates it or cannot yet handle it, we will just delay starting for a few more weeks. I plan on doing some of my own and some prepared foods. I guess I'll just see what happens! But I am excited to start... Mostly I'm excited to no longer be my daughter's sole source of nutrition.
  • With my first I was really excited to start and did so at 5 months. Started with rice cereal and then peas (which he still hates to this day, 7 years later)

This time I have no desire to start because I'm lazy and don't want another thing to have to deal with ;) so I'm waiting until after 6 months with this one but will start with rice cereal and an orange veggie probably carrots or sweet potatoes
  • With my first I was really excited to start and did so at 5 months. Started with rice cereal and then peas (which he still hates to this day, 7 years later)

This time I have no desire to start because I'm lazy and don't want another thing to have to deal with ;) so I'm waiting until after 6 months with this one but will start with rice cereal and an orange veggie probably carrots or sweet potatoes

Hahaha! Love the honesty @jennipherms I agree, this stage is pretty easy. Not to mention, when they start solids, the poop starts to get SUPER GROSS
  • KD32412 said:

With my first I was really excited to start and did so at 5 months. Started with rice cereal and then peas (which he still hates to this day, 7 years later)

Hahaha! Love the honesty @jennipherms I agree, this stage is pretty easy. Not to mention, when they start solids, the poop starts to get SUPER GROSS
    Haha... I have a friend who prefers solid food poop to BF poop. (As a former nurse, baby poop of any kind is just not daunting at all... I've been through much worse!)
  • The poop is SUPER GROSS! I had no idea... I also feel bad because she backs up easily so then I have to give her the tiniest amount of prune juice... Which makes it even worse! But she was more than ready. She devours her food. I think being formula fed she was just not getting what she needed to stay full anymore.
  • Just got back from out 4 mo appt and the doctor said that we need to give out DS fruits and water three times a day since he only poops every 7-10 days on only breast milk. I was really hoping to make it to 6 mos since we cloth diaper. Now, I can't decide if we should start his twin sister too. Any advice is appreciated...
  • We had her 4 month check up today and the doc wants us to wait to introduce foods until her 6 month visit.
  • @egm2015 I have suggested fruit juice (baby apple or prune juice) mixed with water for constipation, just a couple ounces per day. You could call your doctor and ask if maybe that could work, and possibly hold off starting purees. If you do start, though, I would think that keeping them both on the same schedule would be the easiest (introducing foods at the same time for each). But really there would be no problem in waiting for one and not the other, as long as you can handle it! And if you keep to one kind of food (like always giving mashed bananas or whatever) then they may quickly get into the same schedule in two months.
  • @egm2015

Is he constipated? As in, is it bothering him to not poop frequently, or is he generally content and eating and growing well? 10 days is on the high end of normal for a bf baby but solids 3x day for a 4 month old is pretty extreme...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My daughter is 4.5 months and I do solids every other day. She does well with them. Formula and breast milk aren't satisfying her enough. She does 7oz of formula a feeding and nurses right after. We've tried pears, apples, bananas, prunes, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, and green beans. She always tries to grab my food, so I just feed her solids. She isn't a huge fan of oatmeal though. I started at the same time with my first.
  • @MeganPobega how old was your LO when you started solids ? How much did you feed in the beginning ? I'm just curious my babies 4 month appointment is approaching
  • Thanks for the feedback. Doc thinks he's constipated due to thick consistency and super dark color (tmi I know). I'm wary of juices, but may purée apples and mix with bm until an almost juice-like consistency; and I like the idea of every other day or only once a day. I did give one ounce of water yesterday (which we hated) and he had a massive blowout today, so maybe a little water will do the trick and I can still delay solids.
  • @egm2015 you can put a teaspoon of karo syrup in the milk and it'll help regulate them