Toddlers: 24 Months+

rashguards

Do you make your son wear a rashguard (swim top) at the pool, and would you judge another mom if she didn't? My son is 2-going-on-3 and now that he is old enough for sunscreen, I let him go bare-chested at the pool, but I feel like nobody else does that anymore. I'm not looking for parenting advice so much as I am genuinely curious what other moms think...

Re: rashguards

• My son is 2.5 and he does wear a short sleeved rash guard. I just find that a rash guard is so much easier than sunscreen. I would not judge you at the pool -- I would give you the benefit of the doubt and assume he had on sunscreen. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we have NEVER done the rash guard. I don't care for the fit of floaties/floatation devices over the top of it. DD is 2 now and is alive and normal. I think too that the guard would be easier than the sunscreen however if I am going to put it on her arms I may as well just put it all over her at that point.
  • Loading the player...
  • My boys have all over sun screen and rash guards. I dont judge anyone whos kids arent wearing rash guards i just prefer the extra protection
  • DS wears one but I won't judge a mom for not using one.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I wouldn't judge, its your kid & I'd hate for someone to judge the way I parent my children.  Saying that, my son does wear a rash guard along with sun screen, but he's a pasty Irish boy with super fair skin & light strawberry blond/red hair.  He's pink 2 seconds after being outside.
  • We use the rashguard only because it's less sunscreen I have to put on him.  He also has sensitive skin so it helps keep his skin from getting irritated if we put a lifejacket or puddle jumper on him. 
  • rmckenna said:

I wouldn't judge, its your kid & I'd hate for someone to judge the way I parent my children.  Saying that, my son does wear a rash guard along with sun screen, but he's a pasty Irish boy with super fair skin & light strawberry blond/red hair.  He's pink 2 seconds after being outside.

Agree with all of this.
  • Ditto. Both DSs have eczema and red hair/fair skin (2 and 6 yrs old). I cover them all over as much as they'll let me. Hats, water shoes, rash guards, extra long board shorts. Special sensitive skin sunblock isn't cheap so wearing a shirt etc. saves a little money. I wipe them with sunblock SPF 50 everywhere frequently. My mom had skin cancer so I'm extra protective about it. I could care less what anybody else is doing for their kid. I wouldn't judge.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is 21 months and wears a rash guard and sun screen. . . and a hat and sun glasses! I fully realize it's a little over the top but skin cancer runs in both sides of our family (my husband has had several cancerous miles removed).

So I'm probably getting side- eyed for being on the other end of the spectrum! Hahaha!