June 2015 Moms
Options

FFFQ: flame free Friday questions 7/24

Re: FFFQ: flame free Friday questions 7/24

• Options
    Has anyone taken their LOs out when car shopping? I'm sure the test drive will be fine but I'm curious about how the long paperwork process will go. He is really into looking at us talking to him so I don't know how he will do when both of our attention is talking to the sales people. We don't have anyone close to watch him today and I need to get this done ASAP...

Any suggestions/ tips welcome!
  • Options

Has anyone taken their LOs out when car shopping? I'm sure the test drive will be fine but I'm curious about how the long paperwork process will go. He is really into looking at us talking to him so I don't know how he will do when both of our attention is talking to the sales people. We don't have anyone close to watch him today and I need to get this done ASAP...

Any suggestions/ tips welcome!

We did this when he was 12 days old. It took about 3.5 hours. My SO did the test drive by himself, I sat on the waiting area with the LO. Make sure you have enough diapers/pacifiers and bottles. I am bf'ing, but brought a pumped bottle to make it easier on myself. LO did pretty well, he fell asleep but I had to pretty much walk with him in my arms to keep him asleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
    I know to change my user name I have to go to the website, but then what do I do? I know this has been in previous threads...I tried to use the search bar, but a ton of threads came up. I clicked on a few and they weren't it, and I'm just too tired. This is flame free and I love you ladies! lol
  • Options
    My LO hates the car seat and hates driving in the car. It's really stressful when she's screams the whole ride like she just had her shots. Do I have the only baby in the world who doesn't like car rides? How can I make it better?!?
  • Options
    hswan26 said:

My LO hates the car seat and hates driving in the car. It's really stressful when she's screams the whole ride like she just had her shots. Do I have the only baby in the world who doesn't like car rides? How can I make it better?!?

No, mine hates it too. When I can get her to take a pacifier and she falls deeply asleep before it falls out then it's ok, otherwise she screams. I'm sure they'll just grow out of it, hopefully when their vision improves enough that they can actually look around and watch things go by.
  • Options
    My question is for STM+: what do you do with your older kids when you have to put the baby down for a nap? My oldest was only 17 months and still napping twice a day when his brother was born so I'd just put him down and then nurse the baby. Now the boys are (loud, energetic) 4 and 2 year old and they only nap in the afternoon. Any ideas for quiet activities they can do unsupervised without causing fights? Besides TV, that is? I just have a feeling they're going to realize that I'm trapped in a bedroom for 30 minutes and that there's all kinds of trouble they can get into.
  • Options
    @btm013 that's what I assume is well, they tell you to use breastmilk from early on mixed with current breastmilk so that it has the nutrients that your baby currently needs. Six-month-old baby needs more nutrients than the milk you were producing in the first few weeks. I'm sure it really shouldn't be a huge problem though, will see if I have the patience to mix.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    I think this was in an earlier thread but I can't find it. Does anyone have tips for getting LO to go down for a nap? We are trying to follow the "eat-wake-sleep" routine. He does great with the eating part, and we are finally getting more happy wake time than angry wake time. When he starts yawning, I bring him up to his crib and try to put him down and he starts wailing. I have the white noise, I've done the 5 s's, nothing seems to work. Anyone have strategies that work? I love naps, so it kills me that LO hates them so much!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    amccoy129 said:

I know to change my user name I have to go to the website, but then what do I do? I know this has been in previous threads...I tried to use the search bar, but a ton of threads came up. I clicked on a few and they weren't it, and I'm just too tired. This is flame free and I love you ladies! lol

Go to theknot.com or whatever related website you first registered with. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I know it was a huge pain and took me several searches. If you Google it, there will be some old threads from like 2012, if I remember correctly, that tell you how to do it. It used to be that you had to email Bump to do it, but that's not the case.

Also, you have to do it from a computer not a mobile device.

Sorry, that's not super helpful, but it's how I did it.
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
  • Options
    How do you know if your LO is affected by caffeine in your breastmilk?

I drank 2 cups of coffee every day while pregnant and have continued since LO was born. (Doctor approved.) His sleep and nap habits seem like normal baby stuff to me, but in the spirit of over-thinking everything...

Thoughts?
  • Options
    mmhbmmhb member
    I've been a long time lurker - but first time posting.
    LO is 5 weeks old and next week we are venturing on our first road trip - 5 1/2 hours. LO doesn't mind his car seat, however he gets hot easily and lately even after a 20 minute car ride, he's drenched in sweat and then angry about it. Any advice or tips on how to prevent the overheating - besides cranking up the a/c? I've tried that and it doesn't seem to help with the rear facing seat. Thanks!
  • Options
    My LO wants to nurse 24/7, but he's also getting gas pains and he gets some awful tummy aches. For other moms who have LO's that get gas pain, how can you tell the difference between babe wanting to nurse because he's actually hungry or wanting to nurse because he's in pain? He sucks on his hand and roots always. :(

This is such a heart wrenching battle we're in... Each time he's upset and wanting to nurse I have to make my best guess at whether I'm starving my babe and he's now screaming hungry or I'm about to feed him and make his tummy pains worse.
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 if he's not getting upset after nursing, I doubt anything you're eating or drinking is bothering him. If he was, I guess cutting out the potential culprit (caffeine, chocolate, dairy, etc) and tracking if a difference is noted would be ideal. I think very few babes have sensitivities to what mom eats while BF-ing. But I play the same mind games too.
  • Options
    lwyzlwyz member
    So, baby is 3 weeks tomorrow and has so far been a pretty good sleeper, but today he was up almost hourly last night and nursed like... All day so far and hasn't slept for more than 10 minutes. I just got him down by wearing him and bouncing/patting/walking and I'm not sure how long he'll sleep, but do you ladies have any thoughts? Probably just a growth spurt/cluster feeding?
  • Options
    @MurLindzz I've got no advice for you but I wanted to say I totally feel your frustration.
  • Options
    mmhb said:

LO is 5 weeks old and next week we are venturing on our first road trip - 5 1/2 hours. LO doesn't mind his car seat, however he gets hot easily and lately even after a 20 minute car ride, he's drenched in sweat and then angry about it. Any advice or tips on how to prevent the overheating - besides cranking up the a/c? I've tried that and it doesn't seem to help with the rear facing seat. Thanks!

Just a thought, a portable fan? I know they have them for strollers.
  • Options
    I keep seeing the phrase "5s's", someone fill me in! What is it?! I'm far too lazy and tired to google anything anymore.
  • Options
    @mmhb - friend's mom got a portable clip on fan with foam blades so LO is safe to reach.

@virginiaunicorn11 I too love my coffee & drank 1-2 cups all of pregnancy. I was terrified of screwing up naps, but my LO seems fine too. I have noticed that when I drink fresh roasted, local coffee (my 2 whole cups) she spits up more (still happy, but wayyyy more spitty), but okay with Target brand coffee... I experimented this week. So 1 cup of fresh or 2 of grocery kind for me.
  • Options
    Those of you who wear - around the house, do you put LO in awake sometimes/maybe facing sideways (in wrap style)? Mine usually falls asleep, so I can wear for naps for sure, but I want to do some housework while awake.
  • Options
    Can your boobs just stop producing? I went to pump today and only a drop came out! I usually get around 2-3oz. What's happening!
  • Options
    swiebe said:

mmhb said:

Just a thought, a portable fan? I know they have them for strollers.

I got a clip on fan from walmart in the auto department. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. It's like a mini fan can rotate or sit still. I love it! DD used to get hot in the car as well now she is good.
  • Options
    So I bought a Ktan carrier and wore LO in it for a few hours today and she passed right out each time and loved it. My hubby thinks that it'll spoil her and she will only be calm if she's in it and when I go to work and he refuses to wear it even around the house that she will go back to her colicky crying nighttime ways. Please tell me he's wrong. I feel like if she loves it and it stops her from having those witching hours then by all means we should continue.
    Any opinions on baby wearing?
  • Options
    katyertl said:

So I bought a Ktan carrier and wore LO in it for a few hours today and she passed right out each time and loved it. My hubby thinks that it'll spoil her and she will only be calm if she's in it and when I go to work and he refuses to wear it even around the house that she will go back to her colicky crying nighttime ways. Please tell me he's wrong. I feel like if she loves it and it stops her from having those witching hours then by all means we should continue.

I baby wear often, and I love it because I can calm LO and go about my business, getting things done around the house. There are times where it is the only thing that works to get him to sleep, but I'd say it's less than half the time - and if you don't want to carry LO, then simply don't. We only use it for naps during the day or as a last resort for his just-before-bed witching hour (usually when taking a walk during those hours, but sometimes while I clean the kitchen since he calms to the stove fan). It's just another tool in our parenting toolbox.

But if you found a solution to colic, I can't fathom not using it! Good luck with your DH.

PS, I was using the Moby which I loved, but it kept waking LO when I'd take him out of the wrap. I used the Bjorn this week while the Moby was in the wash, and loved it. LO stayed asleep when I took him out, since I could unclick it and lay him down in the bassinet without changing his position. I think I will use the Moby when I'm happy to carry LO for the whole nap, and the Bjorn for witching hours and when LO needs to get in and out easily/while sleeping.
  • Options
    MurLindzz said:

My LO wants to nurse 24/7, but he's also getting gas pains and he gets some awful tummy aches. For other moms who have LO's that get gas pain, how can you tell the difference between babe wanting to nurse because he's actually hungry or wanting to nurse because he's in pain? He sucks on his hand and roots always. :(

This is such a heart wrenching battle we're in... Each time he's upset and wanting to nurse I have to make my best guess at whether I'm starving my babe and he's now screaming hungry or I'm about to feed him and make his tummy pains worse.

I don't have an answer, since we are formula feeding, but had the same issue. Every time I fed LO she'd end up doubled over in pain. We are now in hypoallergenic formula, Zantac and probiotic drops. Maybe ask your doc to see if you should try one of those approaches and see if there is any improvement?
  • Options
    katyertl said:

Baby wearing could be the answer to your prayers. If you have time read The Happiest Baby on the Block. It talks all about this and the reasons it works. You can also check out the video. You may even find it on YouTube. DH may change his ways after seeing some info on it.
  • Options
    ksimo6ksimo6 member
    @katyertl My son also has witching hours - not to the extent you are describing with your LO but I have found that a little time in the ergo calms him enough to fall asleep. Once he's out, I transfer him to his chair or pnp. Your husband doesn't have to let her sleep in the ktan ... He could use it as a calming tool instead. Maybe?!?
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    btm013btm013 member

Can your boobs just stop producing? I went to pump today and only a drop came out! I usually get around 2-3oz. What's happening!

Yes a friend of mine dries up at three months!
  • Options
    hswan26 said:

We found that using a white noise app on my phone or a travel white noise machine works wonders in a car! As soon as we turn it on she falls asleep immediately! We have had multiple 3 hour road trips recently and it worked like a charm!
  • Options
    @katyertl I think you should stick with what works! The witching hours of a newborn won't last forever, you just have to figure out to get you all through the next few days or weeks. I assume that if baby did get 'dependent' on it, eventually you would use carrier her less and less as needed. But I think babies are quite flexible when they are this young, and I don't think the routine of things don't quite often have an impact within the first six weeks like they tend to afterwards.

But I'm actually going to try wrapping babe up tonight when he starts getting upset. I have a k'tan too, except it doesn't out him to sleep he's just happy and wide eyed as we walk around together. I would be happy to jump on the walking at night train if it worked for us. I'll walk for days it if will keep him from being in pain like he is in the evening.
  • Options
    btm013 said:

That's awful!!
  • Options
    Jbay86 said:

hswan26 said:

We found that using a white noise app on my phone or a travel white noise machine works wonders in a car! As soon as we turn it on she falls asleep immediately! We have had multiple 3 hour road trips recently and it worked like a charm!
    We got this one at Target for $10! We use it in the nursery too.
  • Options

I'm skeptical that production would completely stop overnight. Are you getting enough food and water? Taking any meds that could interfere with production?
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, am I the only mum here who doesn't swaddle? We tried it the first few nights but LO just kept wriggling out of it. We switched to baby sleeping bags and he seems to be happier with that. I think he's just naturally too wriggly to like swaddling. At night he usually falls asleep after a feed, but sometimes he wakes back up when I put him in his bassinet - he'll spend 5-10 mins happily wriggling and kicking his legs then goes back to sleep by himself.
  • Options

btm013 said:

That's awful!!
    No.. There are reasons someone "dries up".. Don't feel bad... It could be your diet.. Fluids... Or if you are exclusively pumping.. Unfortunately sometimes that won't keep your supply, baby is the best at telling your body to make milk.. Pumping sometimes doesn't work at all for some women..

• Options

Out of curiosity, am I the only mum here who doesn't swaddle? We tried it the first few nights but LO just kept wriggling out of it. We switched to baby sleeping bags and he seems to be happier with that. I think he's just naturally too wriggly to like swaddling. At night he usually falls asleep after a feed, but sometimes he wakes back up when I put him in his bassinet - he'll spend 5-10 mins happily wriggling and kicking his legs then goes back to sleep by himself.

we dont swaddle either. he has always loved to move his arms, even with his startles he stays mostly sleeping (i remember in the hospital he threw his arms out, hit the side of the plastic bed thing and didnt wake up) we do wrap him in the day time occasionally but its never tight. he is a kicker for sure. just like me. my parents used to have to pull my blanket off the floor and put it back on me at night. :P