3rd Trimester
Options

Braxton hicks/real contractions

today is my due date and last night almost all night I had Braxton hicks. They weren't strong enough for me to feel the need to go to the hospital but they were fairly regular. Now today, I'm not sure if I'm still having them or if I'm just sore from last night. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow but if it happens again tonight, should I go in or just wait until my doctors appointment? Is being sore after normal, because it seems like it would be, like when you're dry heaving you're sore the next day. Plus today I've had a lot more pressure 'down there' so I'm assuming/hoping it won't be to long before she makes her grand entrance!

Re: Braxton hicks/real contractions

• Options
    You will know the difference between a real contraction and BH, trust me. You won't be able to talk or walk. They are incredibly painful and BH's can seem regular but they aren't like real contractions are. Call triage if you are concerned and ask for advice.
  • Options
    If you're experiencing a lot of BH, try drinking a little extra water and see if it helps so you don't feel sore later. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did not feel any difference between BH and regular contractions.  My regular contractions were painless until I was in transition, and the baby was almost ready to come out.  That being said, my BH slowly went from being clustered and somewhat irregular to being much more regular.  That was my first clue that maybe it was time.  We called the hospital, and they told me to wait on coming in, but my mom was feeling like I was definitely in labor, and it was progressing quickly so she decided we should go anyways.  Thank goodness she did, because between the time we left and the time we got to the the hospital (only 15 minutes away), I went from having no pain to not being able to stand, let alone walk.

Long story short - if they are regular, I would at least call the hospital, even if they are painless.  Also agree with the recommendation on drinking some water.  Taking a warm bath usually stopped my BH as well.  And lastly, I was never sore after long bouts of BH, but that was just my experience.