February 2016 Moms
Options

Colposcopy

I'm terrified. I had a pap smear at my first OB appointment and recieved a phone call.
They found abnormal cells on my cervix, they wouldn't tell me anything else other than that. So, I have a colposcopy with biopsy scheduled for next week. As far as what I've read it's "safe" during pregnancy. Minus the bleeding, infection, risk of preterm labor.
Anyone that has insight on this that can calm my thoughts... Thanks

Re: Colposcopy

• Options
    It's scary but you can't let yourself stress out about it.
    I had an abnormal pap smear last year, had to get the colposcopy and it hurts a little but isn't that bad.
    Unfortunately my cells grew worse and last January had to get the LEEP procedure to remove all the bad cells. I hope it doesn't come to that but it was just a short 15 minute procedure.. I'm not sure how that would go when you're already pregnant though, I assume your doctors will take the best course of action if it comes to that.
    Just breathe though, it definitely doesn't have any effect on your baby.
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• Options
    I had a colposcopy a couple years ago after an abnormal pap. It hurt but only for a second when my doc took the tissue sample. Turns out I had some cells that needed to go so I had cryotherapy, where they freeze the cells off. That was actually pretty painful, sorry to say. I was sore for a few days (like bad period cramps), but the procedure did the job and the cells did not come back. I'm pretty sure you can't get cryotherapy done when pregnant though. I think LEEP is much less painful.

Regardless of what happens, know that it is the best thing for you and your babe. It's super minimal and mostly just uncomfortable. Any pain is minimal too, reminded me of cramps, and went away pretty fast. It won't affect the baby at all :)

Sending you positive thoughts and hope everything goes well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have cervical cancer but they won't do extra testing or treatment until after I have this baby.
  • Options
    I had two colposcopys done and ended up having to have the LEEP procedure done - my pap was normal since, I had the LEEP done over a year ago and just had my pap in Feb. this year. I did have one colposcopy done when I was pregnant but I can't remember how far along I was to be honest, I didn't think they hurt or the LEEP either. 

I went in terrified because I had been using Google and everyone said it was the worst pain of their life (sorry!) but it lasted less than 10 mins and when she was done, I was like "that's it?!" Seriously, you'll be fine! I always like to go in expecting the worst pain and then it usually is nowhere near how bad you were expecting! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I needed a colposcopy during my last pregnancy.

The experience is fairly similar to getting a pelvic done. You may or may not notice "more pain" than during your pelvic - it depends how sensitive you are. I noticed like a pinch - something that I normally do not notice during a pelvic. It was uncomfortable, but only for a short time. The other difference is the tools that are used - I remember a big round magnifying glass on a lever that the doctor used.

My results showed that the tissue that was "unusual" was just the tissue that is normally just inside of the uterus growing a little bit outside of my cervix. So, nothing wrong, just not the norm.

So, try to hold judgement about good/bad until you get your results - it really could be just nothing.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    After my coloscapy they let me know everything was fine so it could really be nothing to worry about! GL!
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Options
    I had my first abnormal pap back in April . I was so scared because of the horror stories you hear about the colposcopy. I rescheduled a million times and finally did it in June . I didn't realize I was pregnant yet and thank goodness everything with baby has been good.. Don't google it pulls up horror stories. I called my ob hysterical after googleing when I got my bfp. She reassured me everything was fine and that they do them on pregnant women all the time. It was just a little more uncomfortable then a normal pelvic but in my option not too bad
  • Options
    I've had three abnormal Pap smears over the last 8 years. All three were followed by a colposcopy. It hurts some but it's not unbearable. Kind of feels like a shot or pinch when they take the sample. Mine has never progressed past a colposcopy. I just needed another pap in 6 months to verify it's no longer abnormal.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress. I'm sure you and your baby will do great!
  • Options
    I had a colposcopy and LEEP about two years ago. Followed up with another colposcopy in February and just had my third on Monday because the abnormal cells persist. I'll have another after the baby is born. They certainly aren't fun but aren't too bad either. It's possible that when you get your colposcopy they won't do a biopsy depending on what they see. If they do there's no reason to think you won't have a completely healthy pregnancy and baby. I know how scary the initial diagnosis is, so sorry you have to go through it during pregnancy!
  • Options
    Im sorry, I have no advice or experience with this but just wanted to say good luck. :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all your advice and quick responses. I've been trying not to Google but worry got the best of me. Every page had a cancer treatment center advertisement and i just started bawling.
    :-S
  • Options
    lossholly said:

Thank you ladies for all your advice and quick responses. I've been trying not to Google but worry got the best of me. Every page had a cancer treatment center advertisement and i just started bawling.
    :-S

I did the same thing. I was a mess last year because it popped up right when we started TTC. After the LEEP the doc told me my chances would be higher in conceiving but I didn't believe her. Two months later I got that BFP lol.. Since you're already pregnant you just have to have faith the doctors will do everything in their power to make sure you and baby are going to be okay. Plus since you don't know yet what exactly is going on down there, you just have to hope for the best.. Easier said than done I know, but never assume the worst!
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• Options
    Just to possibly ease your mind a bit, I had an abnormal pap two years ago as well and freaked out. I went in for the colposcopy, but as she did her routine, she found everything to look normal and didn't see the need for a biopsy. Next pap was totally normal as well. So apparently it's possible to go for the colposcopy but not need a biopsy, which saves some stress (and any pinching) for sure.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    With my last pregnancy I had abnormal cells. I had the colposcopy with biopsy and it came back with high grade (precancerous) cells. I had to wait until my son was born to get the LEEP procedure which was basically my entire pregnancy. That was 3 years ago and I haven't had an abnormal pap since then. Much easier said than done, but try not to worry over things that you can't control. Good luck :)
  • Options
    I had one done after my first. It was scary and a little nerve racking. Things came back still more abnormal than they would have liked, but they just told me to come more often for a pap. Since then everything has gone back to normal. Stay on top of getting it checked out, but try not to stress too much.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have never heard of this and have no advice, but it seems like a lot of PPs have and you'll be fine. Good luck and Fx for ya! 
  • Options
    I had one a couple years ago before getting pregnant. Results came back normal so I just had to go in for paps more frequently. Fx your results come back with good news!

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016