Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Post D&C Results with Question

I just got back the results from the genetic testing of the fetus and they believe a blood clot in the umbilical cord may have caused the miscarriage. I have no health problems, I'm not overweight, and I exercise regularly. I've been searching on the Internet to find ways to reduce the risk of this happening again and all I can find are articles on deep vein thrombosis (DVT) while pregnant and flying or on bed rest. In my case this was very early in the pregnancy and I don't think it was a DVT related issue. Anyone have experience with this? Should I be avoiding certain foods or taking certain vitamins? My doctor did more blood work to see if it will pose an issue in the future or if it was a fluke.
Me: 34 DH:40
TTC #1 since 2013
HSG 11/14 - All Clear
SIS 5/15 - All Clear
IUI #1 6/15 - BFP! M/C 7/15
Benched 7/15-12/15
IUI #2 1/16 TWW....

Re: Post D&C Results with Question

• There are blood clotting syndromes that can cause that. I am surprised your doctor didn't tell you about any. We don't know what caused my loss, but for my current pregnancy,my doctor said I could take one baby aspirin a day to prevent clots that can form in the umbilical cord. However, people that I know that have been diagnosed with one of the syndromes, take actual blood thinner injections. My neighbor has had 6 kids with 6 mc in between because she has one of the syndromes and had kids before there was any treatment for it. She told me which one she had, but I can't remember now. People always say not to google, but I googled blood clotting disorders that cause miscarriage. That way you have an idea of what you may have, so you can be ready with good questions when you followup with your doctor. Sorry for your loss.
  • ALC08ALC08 member
    Have you been checked for MTHFR?
  • Loading the player...
  • eb0830eb0830 member
    Thank you both for the responses! @rachrobertson my doctor did mention one baby aspirin a day but wanted to wait on the blood test results. I'm guessing they're waiting on the results before discussing these syndromes? I just wasn't sure if there's something I could be doing in my daily life that could cause this. I want to do whatever I can to prevent it from happening again. Of course I did freak myself out with Google as anything I found related to blood clots was primarily late pregnancy losses but I do want to prepare for my next appointment by asking the right questions.

@ALC08 I had no clue what MTHFR was until I just looked it up but I do believe I am being tested for that. My doctor said they would be testing to make sure my body is breaking down folic acid as it should, which sounded similar to what you mentioned. Hoping this was just a fluke or at least hoping we can find a solution.

Thanks again, ladies!
    Me: 34 DH:40
    TTC #1 since 2013
    HSG 11/14 - All Clear
    SIS 5/15 - All Clear
    IUI #1 6/15 - BFP! M/C 7/15
    Benched 7/15-12/15
    IUI #2 1/16 TWW....