January 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• 1. I never watched or read Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Twilight 
    2.  My DS loves doing Elf on the Shelf. But I don't understand the people who have the elf doing creepy things. Ours is normal, like the one in the movie. He takes marshmallow bubble baths and makes sugar snowballs and I don't post pictures of it on Facebook.
    3. Moe's is better then Chipotle
    4. I hardly wear leggings outside the house but if I do my butt is covers and I'm wear thick leggings
    5. I love Fall/Winter and can't wait for it.
    6. I didn't read 50 shade but I saw the movie. My MIL had a 50 shades party with the IL's and work people, we used to work together. So I saw the movie with my MIL.
    7. GIFs

My UO bubblegum is the best ice cream flavor EVER!

Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • @KaraEpp16 I really don't think that making the personal choice not to lie to my children about Santa at Christmas will deprive them. Santa, after all, is not the main point of Christmas (maybe another U/O topic) and there is plenty of other fun stuff worth celebrating during that time.

@nickicb7 I feel you on hating Facebook. I actually talk to and hang out with my friends way more now that I don't have it. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @daniellelynette My SO is obsessed with Jenn Anniston!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @KaraEpp16 I really don't think that making the personal choice not to lie to my children about Santa at Christmas will deprive them. Santa, after all, is not the main point of Christmas (maybe another U/O topic) and there is plenty of other fun stuff worth celebrating during that time.

@nickicb7 I feel you on hating Facebook. I actually talk to and hang out with my friends way more now that I don't have it. 
    I was just trying to tell you that you don't have to lie and still make Santa a part of the holiday - I will not disagree that Santa is not the MAIN focus at Christmas.

UO: I will not lie and admit that I will feel really bad for your children. Especially, if you plan on sending them to public schools. I hope my kids are not in school with your kids when they're scratching their heads saying "Who is Santa?"

I'm totally curious about your plan for Santa, etc. I'm on the fence here and I can't begin to know how to approach it. Santa is freaking everywhere! Then there are all of the family members and random people asking them about what they're asking for from Santa. The bigger concern is my kid telling all of the other kids, "My mom says that Santa isn't real". I dunno. It all just seems pointless. We lie about Santa and then they continue to go along with it because they're afraid they won't get gifts anymore.
  • I am totally doing the whole Santa & Easter Bunny thing. They were such a big part of my childhood and it brought my siblings and I so much joy. We caught on early to them not being real, but it was still fun to play along. It never scarred me. Also, my kids will know the real reason for the holiday.

I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking and voicing that you find someone else attractive (outside of your SO). We all would be lying if we said we ONLY found our SO attractive. 

• @KaraEpp16 I think it's a little extreme for you to say that you will feel really bad for my children. Especially since you and I have never met in real life, and you know virtually nothing about me as a person. But I'm not mad your opinion, nor will I sweat it!

Oh...

• I absolutely hate when people ask questions like "does anyone else feel guilty when they...."
    I love coffee, tea, sushi, lunch meat... The list goes on if I felt guilty I wouldn't do it.... And I really don't care that you feel guilty either. :-@
  • amargaret24amargaret24 member
    edited July 2015
    My u/o today is when a thread like UO Thurs or WTF Wed become personal conversations that are off topic from the main point. Not to say I don't think it's absolutely fantastic that women find mutual interests and commonalities they want to chat about. But wouldn't it be more advantageous for the newcombers to the thread if the conversation was started in a new thread exclusive to those ladies? Sometimes I get over sifting through these threads because it's just one long conversation between a few people. Maybe I'm wrong....................
  • @KaraEpp16 I think it's a little extreme for you to say that you will feel really bad for my children. Especially since you and I have never met in real life, and you know virtually nothing about me as a person. But I'm not mad your opinion, nor will I sweat it!

Oh...

This is the shit I'm talking about
  • SovvySovvy member
    I can't get it up over Santa. I really didn't want to do it with my son but we did and it's fine. Santa in our house brings one small toy - this year it was a $1 matchstick car and a box of fruit loops. Lol.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • kmcc14kmcc14 member

I hate Elf on a Shelf.  All the teachers at my school seem to do it and my kids always ask "Why don't we have an elf?"  And I say because they are all so good Santa doesn't need to send a spy(LIES).  But seriously, that elf creeps me the f out.  And it seems like some sort of competition on Facebook...who can be the most creative with their disturbing elf?  No thank you.

I also loathe Elf on a Shelf.

My UO: I don't feel right about lying to my children about Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, etc. So, I don't think we are going to do any of that stuff. I was so traumatized when I found out that my parents had lied to me about it all. I'm worried that it teaches children that you will deceive them. Maybe that viewpoint is a little extreme, but I remember that it really broke my heart when I realized that my parents could lie to me.
    Same.  My parents didn't do the Santa or Easter bunny thing, and I don't think I was deprived.  It was special knowing that my parents who loved me bought my gifts.  But they did explain that Santa was make believe and that we shouldn't spoil it for any of our friends who believed in it.  I don't really remember any of my friends actually believing in the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy though.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• kmoney2 said:

I absolutely hate when people ask questions like "does anyone else feel guilty when they...."
    I love coffee, tea, sushi, lunch meat... The list goes on if I felt guilty I wouldn't do it.... And I really don't care that you feel guilty either. :-@

Feta freakin' cheese is all I have to say about this. I have eaten an entire block in one sitting with no guilt or shame! Rock on, and keep eating what you want!
  • @jessfragione I'm just going to pm you regarding this. :)

I'm totally curious about your plan for Santa, etc. I'm on the fence here and I can't begin to know how to approach it. Santa is freaking everywhere! Then there are all of the family members and random people asking them about what they're asking for from Santa. The bigger concern is my kid telling all of the other kids, "My mom says that Santa isn't real". I dunno. It all just seems pointless. We lie about Santa and then they continue to go along with it because they're afraid they won't get gifts anymore.
    See that's the thing though, Christmas isn't about presents. Whether or not you include Santa.
  • Cricket99 said:

kmoney2 said:

I absolutely hate when people ask questions like "does anyone else feel guilty when they...."

Feta freakin' cheese is all I have to say about this. I have eaten an entire block in one sitting with no guilt or shame! Rock on, and keep eating what you want!

Omg feta... On anything :x
  • SovvySovvy member
    I can't get it up over Santa. I really didn't want to do it with my son but we did and it's fine. Santa in our house brings one small toy - this year it was a $1 matchstick car and a box of fruit loops. Lol.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • My UO: Registering for baby gifts, wedding gifts, shower gifts feels so wrong to me. I can't bring myself to do it. Feels greedy.
    You just get me.
  • As someone that didn't even get the chance to decide on Santa or not with my kids. I wish I could have. I love the holidays but my son (who is 9) has never been allowed to have the fantasy of Santa because his bio-Mom always let him know that she bought his gifts because she has always tried to make the holidays an, "I love you more because I got you all this" kind of competition. Our son has come to us upset because kids picked on him for "being mean" because he said Santa wasn't real. I feel terrible. I dont want to lie to him either but there is some fun in the idea of Santa. 

With DD we do a mix a both but it is hard since our son knows Santa isn't real, we try and make a balance. We do cookies and like PP said Santa does the stockings and maybe a gift or two but Mom & Dad do the rest. I love the Holidays. I love making cookies and singing carols and decorating and the togetherness. It could be because I didn't have that growing up so I love to do it with my kids. We approach Santa like an old tale.  We tell DD that long ago Santa came to teach the children the importance of giving and being kind and gave them gifts for learning and that now we dont know if he still does, but that it is fun to think so. 
    Me:28 DH:35
    Married: 7.23.11
    DD:10.17.12
    EDD #2!:1.17.16 

• kmoney2 said:
    I absolutely hate when people ask questions like "does anyone else feel guilty when they...." I love coffee, tea, sushi, lunch meat... The list goes on if I felt guilty I wouldn't do it.... And I really don't care that you feel guilty either. :-@
    THIS!!! Goat cheese...check. Jimmy John sandwiches...check. Sushi...check. Coffee EVERY DAMN MORNING...double check. And if I decide to have a glass of wine or beer later into my pregnancy... check! If I felt I was harming my baby by doing any of these things, I wouldn't do them. Rock on all you "rule" breaking mommies!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • fragglemomfragglemom member
    edited July 2015

@jessfragione I love that, what a great idea!

If you do decide to include Santa maybe you can have your kids leave them out with the milk & cookies for Santa to take back to the workshop ;)

Gasp! That's an awesome idea!

ETA: my parents think the idea of making them give up toys is cruel.
  • Lol exactly why I put it in the UO thread. :D
  • @krisdee123 I struggle with this too!
  • LljbeanLljbean member
    edited July 2015
    @sarah9544 That is awesome and a great thing to do! We do a lot of donating and we take Christmas trees & meals to people that can't get them. I always hope that is our kid's biggest take away from the Holidays. :) 
    Me:28 DH:35
    Married: 7.23.11
    DD:10.17.12
    EDD #2!:1.17.16 

• Yes!! To everything you said @cameronreed! ^:)^