June 2015 Moms
Options

my L/O will not burp!

I'm a FTM and my L/O is almost 4 weeks now and I can count on one hand how many times she has burped. She has a very healthy rectum and has no problem passing gas in that direction. She could rival some adults in their flatulence to be honest LOL. I am just wondering if anyone else has a child like this and any tips on getting them to burp? I have tried over my shoulder, leaning her over my forearm, leaning her forward with my hand on her chest and holding her jaw for head support. She gets gassy and will spit up a whole bottle sometimes, her stomach gets so distended. I hate seeing her so uncomfortable. 

Re: my L/O will not burp!

• Options
    Put her on her belly across your lap. This seems to work for my twins when I can't get them to burp any other way
  • Options
    No advice but my baby hardly burps either! Some people say that is okay if they are breastfed. But I always try to get a burp, it's all you can do is try!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my twins, I do the over the shoulder patting them on the back. If that doesn't work, I pick them up, sit them on my chest with their legs towards my face so their feet are at my chin. Then sit them straight up. That usually pushes gas up and out. Good luck.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Bicycle legs for the gas...... Maybe prop baby up on the boppy and do bicycle legs.... Then try and burp?!? Long shot.
  • Options
    LaurenS119LaurenS119 member
    edited July 2015
    For the really stubborn burps, I usually have to put her over my shoulder and walk around and do the bounce and eventually the burp comes up. Also, I pat her back and rub in an upward circular motion
  • Options
    Our baby was a bad burped too! The pediatrician had us hold her in a sitting position and move her top half in gentle circles for a few minutes and then pat her back. It helps work the bubble up. Really helps!
    Engaged to the best guy I know and Mommy to the sweetest girl!
  • Options
    I do the ol' "milkshake baby." I sit his tush in one hand and support his chest/ head with my other hand and lift him up and down. Works every time and it's a pretty sweet shoulder workout.
  • Options

Put her on her belly across your lap. This seems to work for my twins when I can't get them to burp any other way

This is what I do for my little man and it works like a charm. If he doesn't burp while laying down, he usually does when I sit him upright afterward.
  • Options
    I sometimes have a gard time also. What helps me is laying him down just like 20 seconds then picking him back up and trying again. Usually thay moves the gas bubble and he'll burp just and little bit later. Also rubbing his back woth a little pressure from bottom to top. It seems to work better than patting
  • Options
    I just read on another forum to sit LO on your lap, support her head and neck with one hand, and then use your other hand to apply pressure to her lower back. Like practicing perfect posture. I just tried it. Totally worked.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're trying all the tricks I've heard. Sorry I don't have My advice, only support .

Sometimes our LO burps long after feeding, so perhaps give it another try 5,10,15 minutes after she's done eating?

I also read that BF babes often don't need go burp as much as bottle fed babies.
  • Options
    I am bottle feeding, and my doc said as long as she is passing gas somehow and doesn't look uncomfortable it's fine, some kids just don't burp. I am gonna try some of these techniques and see if any of them work. We just switched formula so that she won't be so gassy, so hopefully between the two it will pass... so to speak lol