July 2015 Moms

When do you pump?

DS is 12 days old and I'm breastfeeding him. I'd like to start a supply of pumped milk, but when do you pump? When I feed him he can go 30 mins on each side and after he's done I really don't feel like pumping

Re: When do you pump?

• I do it right after my daughter eats, but only once or twice a day - not every time. Does your son have a good latch, and is your pump a proper fit? If not, that would definitely increase the discomfort.
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • The lactation consultant I talked to recommended pumping before breastfeeding since the baby is more efficient at getting the milk out than the pump is. I usually pump first thing in morning after her longest stretch between feedings. I'd also start out pumping just an ounce or two and slowly increase from there. Hope that helps : )
  • Loading the player...
  • Huh. My doctor recommended after feedings. Maybe because she was worried about my daughter's weight? She was born pretty small.
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • My lactation consultant said 1 hour before feedings or for 15 minutes after. The number of times per day depends on your production and how much you want/need to save.
  • My son is sleeping pretty well, and I have the most milk in the morning, so I pump when I wake up, before he gets up. I only pump one side, though, in case he wakes up 5 minutes later and wants to eat. :)He is 6 days old and I usually get 1-1.5oz per pumping session. I froze 5oz today!
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• My LO is breast feeding, and I pump to help the engorgement about every four hours. It works out well right now because if she doesn't feed before I pump, my husband really enjoys feeding her. :)
  • Pump first thing in the morning you'll have the most milk. Just do one boob, let baby have the other and then if baby wants more the boob you pumped from should have had time to give baby a little top off.
  • Our daughter was in the NICU and I had help from 3 different OTs and they said to pump after you feed the baby...but then again I wasnt completey breastfeeding. I would breastfeed for like 5 minutes so she could get her suck and swallow stronger and then they fed her through a feeding tube.