Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Stopping breastfeeding

Hi ladies, just wondered have any of you experienced any trouble in getting your lb to take a bottle after being breastfed. He did take a bottle when he was a few weeks but refused from 12 weeks on. He is 5 months next week and for a number of different reasons I need him to take bottle and stop breastfeeding. I'm going to express for a while and see how we go. I have read lots of forums and people say that going cold turkey sometimes is the only way to get him to take bottle. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Re: Stopping breastfeeding

• Options
    My baby is 5 months and I'm trying to wean him by 6 months . He hasn't taken a bottle since he was 3 months and it's very frustrating. We're trying a sippy cup right now but it's slow going. I'm interested to see the tips you get because I need them too ! Lol
  • Options
    aziz4aziz4 member
    I am currently trying the same thing getting prepped for when he gets teeth I'm trying to give home one bottle a day and time it perfectly before he starts showing signs of hunger it's been hit and miss 2 times he drank it but only a couple ounces and the rest of the times he is just chewing on the nipple and playing with it. I guess it's going to be a work in progress
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try a Mimijumi bottle (Amazon). It's saved my somewhat limited social life (EBF baby) so I can leave her for a couple of hours and she actually likes this one.
  • Options
    Try different nipples. My son seems to prefer Playtex, but he has only drank 2 oz from that bottle to date, so I may still be in trouble, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hi ladies, just wanted to give you an update on lb taking a bottle. We decided to go cold turkey last Saturday, it worked really well. We started with the first feed of the day and he took it from my oh straight away didn't cry or get really upset and scream the house down- since then he has been getting bottles of expressed milk. We used tommee tippee closer to nature bottles and they worked really well. We sat him in a chair rather than holding him that's all we did differently. Thanks for suggestions.
  • Options
    My daughter has been on bottle only (with breast milk) since she was two weeks. I use Avent, but some babies are picky about bottles. If they are used to breastfeeding, try a bottle that is shaped closer to the breast such as Avent Naturals, or Tommee Tippee Natural, etc. A lot of brands have them. Good luck!