February 2016 Moms

Screening

I'm a first time mom at 33. I've decided to do the sequential screening (bc of my age), but I don't know if I really want to know. Any thoughts...

Re: Screening

• What is causing your worry? It's a simple blood test and ultrasound. It's not super invasive.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    If you don't want to know, don't do it, especially if the outcome won't change. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Not the testing itself. I'm not sure if I want to know if something is wrong. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the pregnancy if I knew something was wrong. On the other hand, if something is wrong, I guess one can be better prepared. I'm just on the fence I guess.
  • @CCSchult I felt that way with my first (I had her just shy of 31). I will be one month shy of 34 when this little tyke comes along. For me, I feel and felt that pregnancy is already stressful with a lot of unknowns. If this little one has downs or something else, I would still want and keep the baby. (Personal decision). I just don't want to add that extra stress. Plus if the test is wrong I would have stressed for no reason. My husband does want to know so he can be prepared. I will probably do the blood tests for him but in the end I'd rather not (so I might also not do them this time too).
  • I felt the same way with my first pregnancy. I realized I was stressing just thinking of all the possible outcomes so I decided not to do it. Once I decided not to do it, I was able to let it go and relax. It wouldn't have changed any outcomes for me and I was also worried about them possibly finding something and it being wrong and stressing for nothing.
  • 4N6s said:

If you don't want to know, don't do it, especially if the outcome won't change. :)

This. I opted out of the testing with my first pregnancy for this reason, but did it with second pregnancy because we had a scare during the first couple months. I was 100% going to keep my baby no matter what. But I felt like I wanted to know in case I needed to prepare myself for anything.
  • I understand your thoughts and feelings. I am getting it done to be better prepared for the future. Make sure I know everything I need and can have everything I need for when the little one arrives.
  • It totally depends on your family history. My brother died young of a inherited disorder that I'm a carrier of so we are getting tested to know if baby has it or not. I actually don't know what I'd do if baby does have it, my brother lived a terribly short life and caring for him destroyed my parents marriage so I'm actually scared for the appt next week.
  • It totally depends on your family history. My brother died young of a inherited disorder that I'm a carrier of so we are getting tested to know if baby has it or not. I actually don't know what I'd do if baby does have it, my brother lived a terribly short life and caring for him destroyed my parents marriage so I'm actually scared for the appt next week.

This, not Down Syndrome, is one of my biggest fears. What a hard thing for everyone involved to have to experience. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, and your baby.
     BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it will worry you more to know, then don't do it. Personally, I always do the sequential because I'm a planner. If baby had special needs I would like to research and prepare myself. It's just a personal preference. Best of luck in whatever you choose!

• I actually just canceled mine. My insurance won't say whether or not they will cover it, they most likely won't since to them I am not high risk and do not want to be stuck with the $1000 invoice. There is no family history of inherited disorders on either side that we know of, so we decided not to do it. I have heard from a few people that the results have very high false positive results and that can lead to more invasive testing which I would not be willing to do. 

When my sister was pregnant with my nephew (her #4) they convinced her that he had several chromosomal disorders and would be born with a lot of health problems. She spent a good deal of her pregnancy stressed and worrying and denied further invasive tests since she knew it wouldn't change anything. He was born with no disorders and is one of the healthiest kids I know, but I don't want to spend my pregnancy stressed about something I can't change. 

In the end you need to sit down with your Husband/SO and decide what is best for your family. Good luck. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

F16 Sep Siggy Challange - Fav Thing About Fall (even though "fall" won't be here until at least Dec)
    Green Bay animated GIF