June 2015 Moms

Swaddled?

I never swaddled and DD is 7 weeks now. I'm a little late to the game but all the books say to swaddle. Can I start now or is it too late? Should I even bother at this point? Swaddled just during naps or night too? If night I assume I need to get a Swaddleme?

Re: Swaddled?

• ksimo6ksimo6 member
    edited July 2015
    My son is 7 weeks and just started to like a swaddle. Give it a shot! We only swaddle overnight. We use a muslin blanket to swaddle him. Works great.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• We just swaddled at night since birth. We have these awesome swaddle blankets with Velcro that stay put. We just started doing it for naps and she lasts a lot longer
  • Loading the player...
  • We've also swaddled overnight since birth. We just bought the cheap swaddleme ones from Walmart. They velcro shut, so they stay swaddled. They work awesome.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We used to use the Velcro sacks and now our baby suddenly hates them. We just use the Aden and Anais Muslin blankets now.
  • We just swaddle overnight. Swaddleme sacks work great for us.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • There was a relatively recent thread that included a bunch of swaddle brand suggestions. I think it was called "swaddling dilemma." Might be on the third page. If you're also looking for type of swaddle ideas.
  • We've also been swaddling since birth, LO loves it! We use SwaddleMe and Aden&Anais during naps & nighttime. Without it he throws his arms in the air while sleeping & wakes himself up.

But to answer your question, it's definitely not too late!! You should try it out. You'll be surprised by how much longer your LO will sleep when feeling snug & secure.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    ♥  ♥  Mommy-To-Be to Baby #1 ♥  ♥ 
  • Swaddling definitely helps to have LO sleep in his pack n play instead of wanting to be snuggled so much we had no choice but to keep him in the bed. We were swaddling basically from his waist down, but like PP have said, his arms were free and he would move them and it would wake him up. For naps I may not swaddle, or will do only from the armpits down (arms free) as usually for naps he is just falling asleep in a post feeding nap. But for nighttime / bedtime - full swaddle with arms in and down at his sides. He doesn't start awake as easily. If I wrap him poorly he may work his arms out, but as long as he is deeply asleep before that happens I mostly don't care.

When I'm worried about the heat, I use Aden & Anais swaddle blanket (I have a sleep / swaddle sack I ordered from them coming but haven't gotten to use it yet). When its not so hot I have been using something I got from a garage sale, I think its a first years brand with a little leg pouch and Velcro to hold the sides closed. The swaddle with arms in for night made a huge difference in us being able to use the pack n play for stretches at night, so I have swaddle / sleep sacks from a couple of different brands ordered from amazon that I'm waiting on delivery. I would go ahead and do it, if I were you. It costs you nothing but time to try, and you may find it makes a huge difference in your nighttime routine like we did.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely start! We use Summer brand swaddled at night so the velcro stays longer and A&A muslin wraps during the day.
  • Just FYI don't go crazy buying them until it's sure your LO will like it. Several of us have babies who can't stand being swaddled because they need their hands free... We use sleep sacks instead.
  • uta10uta10 member
    Thanks everyone! We use the sleep sacks so far but I am tempted to try the Swaddleme at least for a nap or two to see how she likes it. Fingers crossed it works!!
  • I would die without a little swaddle in my life. My twins love it. Hopefully it works for your babe!
  • Definitely give it a try. LO doesn't LOVE getting swaddled but once she's all wrapped up and fed, she's happy and definitely sleeps better/longer than if not swaddled. The only problem is if she's a little awake and wants to get her arms up and can't, she'll fully wake up trying to and gets so frustrated and angry. We only swaddle nighttime
  • Our daughter hated it at first, but then we started to use it to get her to sleep longer at night. I usually change her diaper midway through her feeding and swaddle her. She usually falls asleep and it doesn't bother her
    Barbara
    imageimage
  • Swaddling is our LO's sleep cue. She knows when we swaddle her that it's time for bed/nap. I've recently started transitioning her with one arm out since she's 8 weeks and they recommend up to 3 months..she slept fine last night with 1 arm out but then once the other one started creeping towards her face she freaked out..weird child.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Swaddling is our LO's sleep cue. She knows when we swaddle her that it's time for bed/nap. I've recently started transitioning her with one arm out since she's 8 weeks and they recommend up to 3 months..she slept fine last night with 1 arm out but then once the other one started creeping towards her face she freaked out..weird child.

What do you mean "one arm out since she's only 8 weeks..."?? Are we supposed to put an arm out at a certain age?