July 2015 Moms
Options

Newborn sleep first day home

last night was our first night home and our baby girl did not want to sleep... The only way we got her to sleep for more then a hour was to hold her... Any suggestions?

Re: Newborn sleep first day home

• Options
    Baby girl will be a week tomorrow and we still have times like that at night so no advice here. I think they're just so used to being cuddled up in the womb that they don't like being free.
  • Options
    My baby girl is 2 weeks 2 days old and I've had prop myself up in bed and hold her every single night!! During the day I can put her down and she will sleep but at night she wakes up within a few mins of being put down. I agree maybe it's a comfort thing of just being held
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    eclohoecloho member
    I was also going to suggest swaddling...we have a swing & a bouncer that vibrates & makes womb & heartbeat sounds. My LO is not here yet though, so we'll see. Oh yeah also got a sound soother sleep sheep that makes soothing sounds
  • Options
    Hold her. Haha, sorry, but it's true! There's a lot of holding baby to sleep in the beginning, they think they're still in the womb!
  • Options
    I can't recommend the miracle blanket more! I'm a terrible swaddler. (Is that a word?) I would buzz the nurses in the hospital to come and swaddle her. The miracle blanket has no fasteners or Velcro to wake baby up. Easy to use. My baby is sleeping in her little cocoon now. But I agree... The middle of the night is a different story. Lots of holding, rocking, and patting to get her to go back to sleep.
  • Options
    My son was in NICU for 10 days after birth and he is two weeks old today and finally home (came home Sunday) but he didn't like swaddle, he liked stretching out. Now we are home I use the glider that swings or if he is passed out good I use bassinet. If he is crying it's usually hunger gas or diaper which holding him always is a comfort but I try not to at night, I feel like I'll drop him if I fall asleep and that scares me! Hope you babies get some rest, swaddling or white noise is what I would do.
  • Options
    eclohoecloho member
    edited July 2015
    I am going to try the "swaddle up"...it's based on the science of self soothing that babies do with their hands in the womb. They are swaddled but allowed to still have their hands up near their face. Originally I read about them in the American baby magazine and then ordered some on Amazon.
  • Options
    What was she sleeping in? Our son slept in his crib for a few nights but then didn't like it. My mom actually discovered that he was super happy just being in his swing without it being in. He's been sleeping in that for the past few days. I think he likes that it's snug as PPs have mentioned
  • Options
    Get a rock and play! Their my favorite!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    She's sleeping in a rocker bassenett thing I may try the swing
  • Options
    My baby is 10 days old and the first night me and my husband struggled alot as well. He didnt want to sleep and was so cranky (he also got circumsized) but i think its just the first few nights that they feel weird but now hes getting the hang of it. He has a basinet but i have to hold him for a bit for him to fall asleep. Good luck!
  • Options
    Mine is almost 3 weeks old and during the day we keep her in pack and play bassinet and are loud as can be...then at night it's dark, quiet and use white noise. She is starting to get days/night flipper to normal. Also, we have a sleep nest that goes in our bed that helps when she truly doesn't want to be in the bassinet.
  • Options
    If they offered a course on swaddling I'd take it. The nurses are like magical swaddling fairies and I can never get it like they do.
  • Options
    Ckorines said:

If they offered a course on swaddling I'd take it. The nurses are like magical swaddling fairies and I can never get it like they do.

I know!! I talked to a nurse about at the hospital. And every nurse had a different way of doing it. She said "you swaddle for maybe 2-3 months of your life and that's it. The last time you swaddled it was 4 years ago. We do this all day. Every day."
    So that made me feel better about my sub par swaddle skills.