December 2015 Moms
Options

Trouble agreeing on nursery

So if we had a girl, I got to pick the theme. If we had a boy, DH got to pick the theme. We're having a boy so DH picked cars. I'm honoring that choice, but I still want a say in it. But he never likes anything I pick and we're having trouble agreeing on things. I like vintage, he likes modern and cartoony. Would it be unfair to pull the well I'm the one giving birth here card? Lol.

Re: Trouble agreeing on nursery

• Options
    I'm not sure about your husband, but mine is very visual. Sometimes he says no to something up front but once I show him, he realizes he likes it, too. Maybe find some bedding and design ideas you like or are will to compromise on and you never know he may agree with you.

Ps have you seen this bedding set, kind of reminds me of a mix of vintage and modern:
    https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/165696-petit-tresor-luca-4-piece-crib-bedding-set.html
  • Options
    Ugh....idk why husbands care. We have a 2 YO who will be exactly 3 when this one is born, he is in a nursery. My husband is fighting for his right to stay in that room (instead of making him a little boy room out of one of our other unused bedrooms. The nursery is next door to the master and has its own bathroom....plus it's a NURSERY! So he basically wants to move the nursery and make a boy room (more work for me), rather than keep nursery the way it is and move DS. He's gonna need a big big bed at that point anyway. We haven't been able to compromise yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If my SO had his way my child's bedroom would be superman theme. I feel like that is not a nursery theme. So I kind of steered him away from that and convinced him when our son is ready for his big boy bed we can do superman so the LO can remember it. Is there anyway you can marry the two styles?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LC122LC122 member
    I think that since both of you will have to live in the room, you should make sure you both like it.
    How much decor are you really adding? I would err on the side of functional rather than just decoration for the theme's sake. Otherwise you'll overpay for stuff you think is cute now but think is junk in a few years.
    Personally, your style makes more sense in terms of being more timeless and having more likelihood of having heirloom-type toys or decorations instead of tacky stuff that becomes junk sooner rather than later.
    Maybe you could negotiate along the lines of who will be spending more time in there (it is usually Mom, but maybe inspire him to do the late-night feedings and diaper changes in the room he cared so much about decorating), he chose the theme now you get to choose the items in that theme, or wanting a more classic look that will age with the child and save you money down the road.
  • Options
    ketobaby said:

If my SO had his way my child's bedroom would be superman theme. I feel like that is not a nursery theme. So I kind of steered him away from that and convinced him when our son is ready for his big boy bed we can do superman so the LO can remember it. Is there anyway you can marry the two styles?

This is a great point. I was thinking about a Legend of Zelda themed nursery for our little girl, but I guess it would be more for me than for her and she wouldn't even remember it.

Sorry to go off in a tangent, OP.
  • Options
    lalg28lalg28 member
    @sweethomecarolina, that is the one we agreed on! I don't think DH is crazy about it, but I thought it was a nice compromise. I think he just has his house set on the Cars movie theme. I think I may suggest like you did, @ketobaby, that we save that for a toddler theme. Thanks for all the advice ladies!
  • Options
    Does your DH love cars himself?  My suggestion would be to show him some vintage prints/artwork/models of cars that he is passionate about.  There are a lot of really cool vintage Porsche prints on Etsy.  My DH loves cars, especially old Porsches and I was thinking about framing some vintage artwork for his office.  Anyway, just a thought  I think combining some vintage artwork with simple bedding would look very sophisticated.  Also you could try to convince him by telling him that the vintage theme would likely grow better with your child.  I can see a teen with vintage car art in his room but anything cartoony will get throw out or recycled in a few years time.
  • Options
    Mizuiro007Mizuiro007 member
    edited July 2015
    ketobaby said:

Superman baby blanket. If he likes Superman he'll like the reference. His cape was made from the cloth/blanket his Earth parents found him with as a baby.

@satindawl83 You'll be the one spending time in there and will remember it so why not make it what you like?

We did basic primary colors and change a few things around as interests change. Slap up a few of the cheaper wall decals and change a couple things around and it changes the look of the room without being a huge deal. My husband is basically happy as long as there's blue.

Added- my feeling is that few people grow up to have just one interest. Why do we have to be locked into a single theme? My son's room has giraffe, care bears, Nightmare Before Christmas, superheros, and cars. With the basics there it doesn't seem as crazy as it sounds and the space has evolved with him as he's grown.
  • Options
    The classic theme sounds fun. You could do a cruise in or drive-in (movie) theme to tie it all together. It doesn't have to excessive. I could be a throw pillow in the rocking chair, a high shelf with metal die cast vintage cars, or even add blue color in places with stars.

When your little boy gets to the age where he can play with cars that are age appropriate start adding Disney's cars stuff to the mix. The Disney store did have little die cast metal models of Cars characters. If you look around you may even find an antiqued version of Disney's cars that would fit nicely with the vintage theme.
  • Options
    lalg28lalg28 member
    Yes DH loves cars. He has an old Camaro and model a. The bedding we picked out has an old looking car on it so not bad. But he wants to mix things like still add in other random things and colors. And as a PP mentioned I will be there most of the time as I'm going to be a SAHM. So I want it to feel peaceful to me, not chaotic. I'm going to push for sticking to at least the colors from the bedding as I find them soothing. I think if we'd had a girl we wouldn't even be discussing it as much, but with a boy he wants everything he loves to be in there. Like all of it. Hot rod magazines, old signs and posters, Cars movie, old vintage cars, trains. I'm like whoa there. Lol. Thanks for the continued advice ladies. :)
  • Options
    Make him sit down with you and Pinterest (my favorite baby idea site) and look at boy car rooms maybe you can find something you both like and ideas for how to make it a joint project.  But I do think the person who pushes a 10lb kid out a 10cm "road" probably should get the final say.  JUST my opinion.