Trouble TTC
Options

Meds for superovulation/IUI?

I spoke to one of the nurses at the clinic today to follow up on my surgery, who told me another nurse would be getting in touch with me to explain the process for the superovulation + IUI that we'll be doing as soon as I'm done bleeding and after AF. My impression was that we'd be doing Femara + Ovidrel and just adding the IUI. Turns out that it seems the plan also involves injectables now... So I'm going a little crazy this week. I went from having no hope to being overjoyed they finally figured out what's wrong and fixed it, to being more conservative and thinking that still doesn't mean we'll get pregnant to 'oh crap, we may very well end up with multiples! I can't have triplets or quadruplets!' to thinking that if we don't do anything fast the endo might come back... I know I need to take it one day at a time, but spending all this time at home isn't helping (I could be doing work, but what's better than spending all this time lying down looking up infertility research?!).

Anyway, my question is what meds have you been on when doing IUI? I'm assuming the oral meds will continue to be Femara for me given the lining history I have, but injectibles other than Ovidrel are new for me. How many follies did you produce with and without injectables?

Re: Meds for superovulation/IUI?

• Options
    wbirdwbird member
    Gotta love all those emotions huh?!  The roller coaster that we go through every month, lol. You're definitely not alone.

What injectable do they have you on? We did clomid and femara (oral meds) back when I was doing IUIs. I decided I hated my fertility clinic, and we're going to a different route now. We've learned that femara dries me out, clomid makes for thinner lining, so now I'm on Menopur (injectable).
  • Options
    I'm not 100% sure yet! I was under the impression we were just going back to Femara and Ovidrel, but I guess my RE took us seriously when we said we wanted to be more aggressive after the surgery and has recommended we do oral meds from day 3 and injectibles from day 6. I just heard that from the post-op nurse who called to check on me. I'm waiting on the phone call from my new nurse (love my RE, but hate how they have a nurse for each treatment/phase, which means no continuity unless you're doing the same treatment for a long time). I should be starting sometimes next weekend (all depends on whether this surgery affects AF at all). My thin lining should be fixing itself as a result of the surgery, but I doubt they'd ever put me on Clomid because of it. So yeah, mystery injectables for now (hence wondering what other people have taken). I'm worried that given my good response to Femara alone (two good follies the first two cycles, three on the third one), I'll end up with a massive amount of follies (which is nice if you're doing IVF and you control how many are transferred, worrying if you have no control...And I have control issues
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wbirdwbird member
    ROFL... you can be my fellow control issue buddy. From one control freak to another, I feel your pain.

I used to plan the month and the year of when "we'd have a baby" based on how compatible they'd be with me. Gosh I was crazy.... that was 5 years ago. 5 years later, I've given up on all sorts of control, and unfortunately (I hope you never get to the stage I'm at), I no longer have as many crazy emotions, because I'm just so pessimistic about everything.

SOOOOO.... wishing you lots and lots of awesome follies. I'm sure the injectables will be go over well, and wishing you the best on your IUI. I've had a handful of friends that have had successful IUIs (the mandatory 3, before they could do IVF) :D

• Options
    I've even managed to get the RE to move into IVF after two IUIs. The convincing power of control freaks!

We got married a year before I finished my PhD. The plan was that I graduated, found a job and got pregnant. Since I was graduating at 28, we figured by 30 we had #1. And life would keep on being wonderful, because I just get things done! Well, what a reality check this has been! And as the supposed pro of positive thinking (I'm a freakin psychologist after all)...not always doing so great. Thankfully I have a good network of psychologist friends for some free therapy
  • Options
    wbirdwbird member
    Awww KidShrink, wishing you nothing but the best. Looking forward to your news! :)
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    Ugh! Hate how this app keeps on saving only parts of my posts, making me look like the most insensitive person on Earth!
    End of previous post:
    So you're on Menopur only? How's that working for you compared to Clomid and Femara? More/Less/same number of follies? I sure have my fingers crossed for you...5 years is a long time to wait!
  • Options
    **pregnancy mentioned***
    I had to chime in because I went down a (somewhat) similar road. I did a total of 5 IUIs. I did three with femara and ovidrel, producing two follicles each time. The problem, however, was that I started to become somewhat resistant to the femara. By by third round, I was needing to "stair step" my dose--I took 5mg CD 5-9 but didn't have a great response, so I had to take an additional 5mg from CD 10-14; I ended up with two decent follicles. I also threw in a round of clomid to see if that would work--I had 3 follicles but it thinned my lining way too much. Long story short-my successful cycle, my 5th (and final, regardless of outcome) I did femara 5mg CD 5-9, Gonal F 25 units CD 10-14 with ovidrel & a big boost of Gonal F 100 units 48 hrs before IUI. I ended up with 3 follicles & conceived my twins! I was happy to have added the small dose of injects as I was starting to really get discouraged with femara alone. I felt like I needed to try the injects with IUI before moving on to IVF and am obviously very glad I did. I'll never really know if the injects really made the difference as I always had a pretty good response to femara. Who knows though, maybe egg quality was better? Maybe timing was better? Who knows. As an added bonus, injects tend to have far less side effects than oral fertility meds.
    In any event, injects worked for me and I hope you find a plan that works for you. I hope your RE is willing to tweak your treatment and listen to your input. I was lucky to have an RE who took my suggestions into consideration (I really wanted to try injects) & he was very accessible to answer questions (even emailing me over the weekend!). Best wishes to you, my friend!
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Options
    Thank you so much for chiming in! Turns out I got my protocol on Friday. I'll be doing 5mg of Femara from day 3-7, with overlap of 75 IU of Puregon (FSH) starting at day 6, for 5-7 days depending on my response.

I'm excited to try something new, but scared about the number of follies I may end up with as I responded really well to Femara (2 follies the first two rounds, 3 on the third). They would withhold the Ovidrel if I get too many though- I just don't know yet when many becomes too many. I'd be happy with twins, just scared of triplets. And scared of never conceiving, all at the same time!
  • Options
    I am currently on follistim injections and I trigger tonight so I will keep you updated on how it goes. But as for the medication I had 0 issues no side effects it was great!
  • Options
    Were you on follistim only? For IUI or IVF? I didn't have any side effects with Femara, so it'd be great if that kept on going!
  • Options
    KidShrink said:

Thank you so much for chiming in! Turns out I got my protocol on Friday. I'll be doing 5mg of Femara from day 3-7, with overlap of 75 IU of Puregon (FSH) starting at day 6, for 5-7 days depending on my response.

I'm excited to try something new, but scared about the number of follies I may end up with as I responded really well to Femara (2 follies the first two rounds, 3 on the third). They would withhold the Ovidrel if I get too many though- I just don't know yet when many becomes too many. I'd be happy with twins, just scared of triplets. And scared of never conceiving, all at the same time!

I was also nervous about multiple follicles due to my PCOS. My RE said he would be very careful with injects as to not hyper stimulate me, hence the low dose. I found out around 5 weeks that I had definitely conceived 2 but my RE thought there could be a third-I had to wait a week & repeat ultrasound confirmed there were only 2--thank God.
    I'm glad to hear you will have close monitoring & no trigger if too many follicles. That is a sign of a very responsible RE! Best of luck to you...I'll be looking for an update :)
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Options
    For what it's worth, femara gave me 2 follies the first round, and 1 folkie the second round. Third round, they added one shot of menopur at the end of the femara round, and I had one big follie and one medium one, that may or may not have gotten big enough in time. This next round, we're stepping up the menopur.

So that's my experience. :)
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    Thanks for sharing! It seems like the dosage of Puregon they're giving me is fairly low, and the goal is to have maybe 1-2 more follies of better quality. Fingers crossed that's all it does!