Baby Names

***Why name spelling matters***

Re: ***Why name spelling matters***

• Can we get the admins to close this thread? It's like a wheel that never stops.

with all do respect, why do you open this and read it? Some people (clearly a lot of people) enjoy it. Just ignore this topic, because you don't like it.......let the people that enjoy it have it to read and comment on.
  • saham07 said:

Can we get the admins to close this thread? It's like a wheel that never stops.

with all do respect, why do you open this and read it? Some people (clearly a lot of people) enjoy it. Just ignore this topic, because you don't like it.......let the people that enjoy it have it to read and comment on.

Mainly because it's old. Half the comments are deleted due to members deactivating the account. It's run its course

• Loading the player...
  • bbiutmcph said:

saham07 said:

Can we get the admins to close this thread? It's like a wheel that never stops.

Mainly because it's old. Half the comments are deleted due to members deactivating the account. It's run its course

---------

Exactly. It's not that I don't like it, I do think it is an important topic. It just seems to be like Sisyphus rolling the rock up the hill over and over.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • you should see the names in Mexico the names you've heard so far in the U.S are nothing, I live in Mexico and sometimes I just cant believe the names I hear at my daughters day care  or some peoples imagination when it comes to names.
  • My favorite name as a teacher... Shithead....oh yea... mom and dad loved HER that much! It was pronounced "Shih-teed." No, she was not foreign. 

I also had a Phuk...unfortunately that name was foreign and was pronounced exactly how it looks. Needless to say that student went by his last name. 

Just call me CC.  :)

• Hi! 'Shannan' here. No one has spelled my name right, ever. So I can relate to this....
  • Carebear12303Carebear12303 member
    edited August 2015
    For the ladies who are questioning the name they have already chosen and have given their child, you are the parent, you chose the name you chose and the spelling because you fell in love with it.  Do not let someone take that away from you.  Our baby boy is due at the end of August.  We are absolutely in love with our baby's name which we have chosen, Jak Austin Kilmer (his initials spell out his name as well).  

Secondary Infertility 38 years old (husband has no children)
    TTC since we got married 6/18/11
    Diagnosed with DOR - AMH 0.8

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

Changed RE's September 2014
    IUI #3 December
    2014 - BFP-My Lil Blessing!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Definitely not Jake, if someone says Jake then they need to go back to school.......

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

edited August 2015
    I don't care if someone misspells his name wrong.  it happens, people are human. They spell my son JAYSON'S name wrong all the time.  :)  We just correct them and move on.  Works out just fine. 

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

• As for the friend who wants to pull her son out of class, that's just stupid nonsense. Never a valid reason to pull a child out of class. 

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

• Victim of name spelling abuse?  That's ridiculous.  Anything to get attention.  My name is Keri so my spelling is way off!  Woah!!!! Guess I better start filing a petition because my name is "misspelled".

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

edited August 2015

"are comprised from" is grammatically incorrect.  Good day!

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

• For the ladies who are questioning the name they have already chosen and have given their child, you are the parent, you chose the name you chose and the spelling because you fell in love with it.  Do not let someone take that away from you.  Our baby boy is due at the end of August.  We are absolutely in love with our baby's name which we have chosen, Jak Austin Kilmer (his initials spell out his name as well).  

why not Jack Austin Charles Kilmer? Or is it Jake?
  • Saham, thank you for being nice in your post to me. We don't like the name Charles and we really like how it is spelled without the "c". It may be different but we love it and we know he will too.

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

• nurse714nurse714 member
    edited August 2015
    Saham, thank you for being nice in your post to me. We don't like the name Charles and we really like how it is spelled without the "c". It may be different but we love it and we know he will too.
    How do you know he will love his misspelled name?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • @carebear12303 not to be funny or shady at all, but I'm a teacher ( not English) and I'd probably double check with your son a few times to make sure I had his name right. Now-a-days kids have all kinds of different names with spelling variations, so I just ask and make a note. Or  I ask if they have a nickname they like to be called. I'd butcher their names too.... then I feel bad. 
    edited August 2015
    Nurse714, my son Jayson played that game as a child.  Cute game, cute name. :)  It's not misspelled.  Names are just that, names.  What makes Jak misspelled compared to Jack?  Who was the first person to spell out the name Jack and where did it derive from?  Ever think Jack is actually the misspelled name?  :)  Now, if you are talking about misspelled words then words I can agree with, but not names.  Liek rite now I am mispelinng most of the words inn this sentence.  Yes, they are clearly misspelled.

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

• Understandable ChiccoBeans.  My last name was always butchered until I got married and I now have a last name no one can mess it up really. 

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

• I am a fan of unique names and spelling. And I have the right to name my child whatsoever I please. Therefore I will. No one gets to decide what is considered a name and what's not, and no one gets to decide what is correct spelling, either. I don't have a problem with traditional names and I sure dont care how it's spelled, because everyone has their own right to choose a name for their child.
  • Personally, Idc what people name their children. I ask people to pronounce names for me that I'm not sure how to read or repeat. However, I do find these discussions somewhat enlightening and entertaining. These wounds run feel with the baby names I see. I'm also guessing some people get the naming thing "wrong" (Idk what term to use really) as there are rules and things that I am sure many of us were not aware of until coming on here. It's still interesting though, how intense these convos can get.
    edited August 2015
    Thanks to the reasonable ones who are not high and mighty or snooty for coming on here and stating how this is just a really ignorant post. I love my sons name, I can't wait to meet him in less then two weeks and I am sure he's not going to go into a depressive state over his name. There are a lot more important things to worry about then this.  If someone spells or says his name wrong, I correct them and move on, it's that simple. 

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

IUI #3 December

BabyFruit Ticker

• EllioCor said:

This entire topic is judgemental and jerkish. It's a name, spell it however you want to, just don't expect others to get it right all the time. Our child isn't born yet, and we aren't looking at difficult spellings but I assure you it will get misspelled at some point by someone.

My name is Samantha and I cannot tell you how many times I received hall passes and invitations with Samatha, Samanth, and Samanthe on them.

My last name is a very old Scottish name. It's also common in the US because unfortunately it was a plantation name. Elliott. With 2 Ls and 2 Ts. My husband's last name is Corder meaning "wood cutter", again- a very old name. We've gotten Quarter, Courtier, and Cordero. I have a sister named Carrie and a friend named Kerri and a co-worker name Kari and I do not care how they spell it.  

I live in PA so on a side note, it's pronounced Reese-is Peanut butter cup (not Ree-sees) and the railroad in Monopoly is pronounced Redding (not Reeding)- it's a real railroad.

That an entire 8-page thread exists to tell people "this is why YOUR spelling is wrong" is just rude. Find other crap to worry about in life. It's like everyone coming out to battle about breastfeeding, pacifiers, SAH or Working Mom, Disposable or Cloth. At the end of the day, you only get to make those choices for YOU, so why anyone thought baby name bashing was somehow appropriate, I just can't understand. I thought this was supposed to be a supportive and welcome place, not a "let-us-make-new-moms-self-conscious" place.

So, I'm confused are you claiming that Reese like Rhys is how you pronounce Reeces peanut butter cups, cause a lot of people in PA pronounce it like Ree-cees. Welcome to America! Melting pot of languages and dialects, particularly central and south central PA thanks to Pennsylvania Dutch. Also for fun, see how locals pronounce Norfolk in VA. The only reason this is an 8 page thread is because someone comes in, gets butt-hurt that their speashul spelling is called out for what it is, dumb.
    the candy is called Reese's ....with an apostrophe S. anyone that says Ree-cees is simply saying it wrong.
  • jodaliciousjodalicious member
    edited August 2015
    "This entire topic is judgemental and jerkish. It's a name, spell it however you want to, just don't expect others to get it right all the time. Our child isn't born yet, and we aren't looking at difficult spellings but I assure you it will get misspelled at some point by someone."

THIS. This is exactly what I wanted to say.  This thread is completely childish.  It's just like the never ending debates on other social media battling about breastfeeding, parenting styles, circumcision, vaccinations, etc.  I can't tell you how thankful I am that on this website, this seems to be an isolated incident, and the views expressed here don't seem to be shared with the majority. Although it has been completely entertaining to watch grown women squabble, the differences between Jackson and Jaxon are completely trivial. I cannot insert enough eye rolls, and LOLs!
  • The history of the phonetics of names is interesting but to me is a separate discussion from modern name spellings. While I agree some spellings are ridiculous - especially when they're so outlandish, you can't tell how the name is to be pronounced - to me a deviation from the traditional spelling does not constitute a misspelling. Since English is indeed a mutt of language, why should its speakers not be creative with name spellings? I chose classic spellings for both of my kids' names, but I don’t fault (even if I don't like) the more creative spellings of them out there.