August 2015 Moms
Options

Establishing milk supply with preemies

Hey everyone!
So, my water broke early Friday morning and our twin boys were born via c-section at 10:16 and 10:17 on Friday! They were 35w+1d and they are in the NICU but doing awesome! No problems breathing and they are eating mostly on their own. I have been pumping every 2-3 hours but I am still only getting drops. Anyone have tips for helping my supply to come in? I haven't taken any supplements yet but I am getting discharged today so could potentially get something this afternoon. I know we may need to supplement with formula but I really want to try to get as much of their meals with breastmilk if possible. I'm not giving up but just getting drops every pump session is discouraging. I know my body just wasn't ready to feed breastmilk yet, but the 'ladies' need to get with the program now! ;)

Re: Establishing milk supply with preemies

• Options
    It can take 2-3 days for milk to come in. ( had my guy Friday as well and my milk is not in yet) also some women the pump doesn't work for them. Have you talked to a lactation consultant? The one I saw today told me to hand express about 1-2ml, pump 15 min and express again to signal to my body to produce since he was not latching for me.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    For my twins (which were born at 35+6), I pumped literally every 2 hours for 10 minutes even through the night for the first month. I started getting milk about 3 days in, before that literally nothing came out and then bits of colustrum. I had my best pumps puming beside them in special care nursery. I also borrowed hats and outfits they were in to smell while I pumped at home which did actually help too. Make sure you're pumping through the night. I know it's exhausting but for twins and your supply it's vital. Do as much skin to skin as possible and try not to stress out (easier said than done). If you're doing everything in your power and it's still not there, talk to your OB and lactation consultant. There are meds that can increase supply.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pretty much gunna copy what PP have said but yeah my son was a 30 weeker, my milk took 2-3 days to come in as well. The best advice I can give is pumping through the night 2 hourly to keep your supply up. It's challenging if you don't have a baby to get up to in the night but again, keep a piece of clothing or blanket close by it always seemed to help for me!
  • Options
    Hi there! Congrats on your little ones! My 4th child was not born prematurely, but he was born critically ill so I also had to pump. I delivered via c-section and noticed that it took a few extra days for my milk supply to come in vs when I delivered vaginally. For the first couple days it was absolutely nothing, then I finally was able to get small amounts of colustrum. It may have been closer to day 5 or so before my supply ramped up. Hang in there!!
  • Options
    I have a girlfriend who had all 4 of her babies prematurely and she said what helped her was to pump while she was holding the baby or trying to breastfeed the baby, pump. She said the lactation consultant suggested it after she was dry the first week after her first. She said it worked amazingly. Something about the chemicals released when you are holding your baby....

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It can take a few days for it to come in. My LS just started me on fenugreek. You can find it in the vitamin section for like $5. You take 3 pills 3 times a day(9 pills total) for 1 week. It's already given me a boost! It makes you smell like maple syrup. Lol
  • Options
    It just takes time! I was the same way- I didn't get to do skin to skin or breastfeed at all. They swept her away to NICU immediately. All of the lactation consultants (who were pretty much worthless) said that contributed to a slow-coming supply. I was only getting drops of colostrum, and since Mallory was hooked up to lots of monitors, I was not allowed to even hold her for two days. And not allowed to attempt to feed until day 3. I'm now at day 10 and getting about 4 oz per pump! It will come! It's still difficult and I'm having a hard time getting her to latch, but seeing a lactation consultant at my Peds office today!
  • Options
    I just had my son last week at 35wk 4 d. and at first it was the same for me. I was getting 5 ml. of colostrum if I was lucky. But I pumped every 3 hours, and each time I got more and more. Now, 9 days later, I get at least 80ml + each time I pump. I also have been extremely fortunate with how quickly my milk came in. The nurses were shocked. Pumping is definitely not easy, but I could never take that bonding experience from everyone. Just keep pumping every 2 1/2- 3 hours and it will come in more amounts and faster :)
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Options
    I'd suggest calling your local la leche league. Just google it with your city. They will have LOTS of resources and ideas to help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker