June 2015 Moms
Options

Is 4 weeks too young to fly?

If you could fly on a private jet to attend a funeral, would you bring your 1 month old? Stay 1 night not at home and attend services and what not for majority of a day.

Can't decide to do this or leave for the day and have my Mom watch LO for the day. I EBF but have been pumping to store up for this situation just in case.

I'm worried about her ears flying, being around people, but at the same time leaving her for over 12 hours makes me feel bad as well.

Re: Is 4 weeks too young to fly?

• Options
    As far as her ears she should be ok if you feed her on take off and on landing.
  • Options
    I had a friend who flew with their daughter when she was 2.5 weeks and it was fine.

Also, I just had my first night away from my 5 week old. It was a little over 24 hours and I was a wreck leaving him, I knew it would be hard but never imagined it would be that hard.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ^^^ I agree. As long as you feed or use a pacifier for take off and landing it will probably be an easy flight. They are actually easier to travel with when they are so young. I'd also try to wear her a lot when around the bigger crowds. People are less likely to ask to hold her or touch her when she's attached to you.
  • Options
    I'd personally avoid airports and planes until the first round of vaccines at 2 months...but SIL flew with my nephew at 6 weeks and it was fine. She found it a lot easier than flying with him between 8 months and now (22 months) because she didn't need to keep him entertained and sitting still.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Again, it'd be a private plane and we wouldn't be going through any of the overpopulated terminals. It's a service for my DHs brother who lost his fight to cancer. So it's an extremely difficult situation.
  • Options
    I think LO wild be completely fine. I would be concerned with germs on an airplane but that wouldn't be the case with a private plane!
  • Options
    So sorry to hear your brother in law lost his fight. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. ❤️
  • Options
    Given your unique situation, I would probably opt to bring LO along. So very sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    delujm0 said:

I'd personally avoid airports and planes until the first round of vaccines at 2 months...but SIL flew with my nephew at 6 weeks and it was fine. She found it a lot easier than flying with him between 8 months and now (22 months) because she didn't need to keep him entertained and sitting still.

What vaccines are relevant to flying? People say this a lot, but I'm flying transatlantic with LO before his vaccines, and my pedi here said its not an issue, that the vaccinations aren't so relevant. (Also, Germany won't vaccinate before 2 months because they believe it's not been proven that babies younger than that really do build immunity as effectively.)

OP, in your situation, I would definitely go, if YOU feel up to it and your doctor clears you. My OB said LO can fly after 2 weeks, but it's the mother's healing that most needs to be considered. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.
  • Options
    @JessHeppell considering why I was even asking the question, you're response is definitely uncalled for and completely insensitive
  • Options
    JessHeppellJessHeppell member
    edited July 2015
    slr1229 said:

@JessHeppell considering why I was even asking the question, you're response is definitely uncalled for and completely insensitive

ill be honest. i didnt even read the description. just the title.

ETA: sorry youre in this situation
  • Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    I just finished flying on 4 flights over a week's span with a 7 week old and she was a dream. Good luck, and I'm sorry for your loss.