Baby Names
Options

Lydia Question

I've posted a few polls with different girl names (due in 3 weeks!) but we just can't seem to be able to commit or really love a name.

A few months ago we agreed on the name Lydia, however FIL is super against it because she could be teased as "Lydia Chlamydia". I can see the concern and I don't want to make things hard for her in the future, BUT we really can't seem to choose another name we like as much.

How much of a deal breaker is Lydia rhyming with Chlamydia? Any ideas on similar names?

Re: Lydia Question

• Options
    I love the name Lydia.  If this little guy had been a girl, we would have used the name Lydia.

Other names I really like for a girl:
    Evelyn (DD's name)
    Amelia
    Cora
    Caroline
    Elise
    Estelle/Estella/Stella
    Jillian
    Julia
    Juliet
    Natalie
    Ruby
    Valerie
    Victoria

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lydia was on my list of girl names, but we're having a boy. Wouldn't have thought of chlamydia. If anything, I think of Beetlejuice.
  • Options
    flasflas member
    Yeah I agree worrying about a name rhyming with something will pretty much ruin any name so there comes a point when you just have to say screw it. Lydia is a lovely name and it also makes me think of Beetlejuice, though that just makes me like it even more.
  • Options

Every name can be made fun of. Every one. In fact, I posted on another thread about a friend getting the nickname "Anal Ram" in high school because her name (Marlena) spelled backward was Anel Ram and some boy figured it out. Totally random and nonsensical but it happened. It's no reason to give up on a name.

And Lydia is beautiful. It was at the top of my list but my hubby had to go and have some crazy ex with that name. Ugh.

imageimage
  • Options

Every name can be made fun of. Every one. In fact, I posted on another thread about a friend getting the nickname "Anal Ram" in high school because her name (Marlena) spelled backward was Anel Ram and some boy figured it out. Totally random and nonsensical but it happened. It's no reason to give up on a name.

And Lydia is beautiful. It was at the top of my list but my hubby had to go and have some crazy ex with that name. Ugh.

That is crazy that they would get that from Marlena! I guess kids can think of anything when it comes to names.
  • Options
    I think worrying about a something your kid might potentially be called is crazy. Lydia is a beautiful name. It's one of my favorites

Me: 29 DH:32
    Married: 9/29/12
    BFP: 07/14/2015
    DS:3/30/2016
    TTC#2 since: Jan 2018
  • Options
    Never would have made that association. Wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    Lydia is absolutely lovely. The rhyme is a bit of a stretch, honestly. Don't worry about it a bit. 
  • Options
    Lydia is a beautiful, solid name. Don't worry about it.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    Lydia is beautiful! The chlamydia thing is a stretch. I know two Lydias and have never heard anyone mention that.
  • Options
    CGlessCGless member
    I like Lydia. DH vetoed because of Beetlejuice...

I wouldn't worry about the rhyme.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the input!!
  • Options
    mb0112mb0112 member
    Haha I guess at some point in her life, someone will notice that it rhymes with chlamydia but agree that any name can be stretched into a horrible association. Doubt she will be called Lydia chlamydia on the playgrounds.

Maybe modern medicine will make chlamydia obsolete by the time she is older? The Scarlett's of the world don't get called Scarlett Fever, or Kerry Dysentery, Stella Rubella....
  • Options
    @PurpleBookmark I like Lydia!  I really don't think you have anything to worry about! I can't really believe FIL said that out loud but I guess that is why sharing names with family members is awkward? 

Lol to Sella Rubella, etc @mb0112
  • Options
    I agree with the previous poster that most names could be stretched into a horrible association. I grew up and went to school with a Lydia, and she was never called chlamydia. It would be on my list if it wasn't for the fact that my DH has a weird great aunt with the name, and a good friend of mine has used the name for her daughter. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Lydia is on our list but I'm not worried about that. Our daughter is Piper and I thought of Hyper Piper as a nn that she might be called and never even thought of the fact that Piper and diaper rhymed (maybe because of the spellings) until I asked for a diaper for her. Kids can think up all kinds of nn's. I was Lisa Pizza, my friend Jillian was Peanut Butter and Jillian and Alyson was Alyson Wonderland. There will always be something. Don't let it affect your name choice if you really love it.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kids will come up with nicknames no matter what you name your kid and what it rhymes with. I had a childhood friend call me "Karyn the Baron" because that was the best he could come up with. Lydia is a beautiful name, go with it if it's what sounds right to you, and ignore your Sophomorish FIL.