December 2015 Moms

Pregnancy blues

i have suffered from depression before and it's passed I'm 17 weeks today and I feel like it's all coming back to me every time I feel like I'm excited about having this beautiful little boy inside of me something quickly changes in my mind! I know it's the most exciting event that will change my life forever but it's just so hard not fitting into my clothes and these stretch marks are making everything worse! Please tell me I'm not the only one feeling this way!

Re: Pregnancy blues

• I've been feeling that way, but more because I feel like I'm in this anti social bubble that keeps me from living a life I can be happy with. It doesn't help that a lot of my friends smoke cigarettes and aren't considerate enough to walk away from me, so im usually the one that has to seclude myself to keep my baby and me healthy. Hubby doesn't help either, he doesn't like to step on other people's toes... Work has been extremely hard and not accommodating to my new situation, and I constantly have to be on guard to make sure other people are following protocol and not exposing me to dangerous situations, which has also created some hard feelings (literally was told "it's really annoying that you're pregnant") I'm really worried that once the baby comes the depression from a lack of a social life will be worse, although I'm sure there will be much more to worry about. End of story, I've struggled with depression for years and this is a level I've never had to deal with before, and it's kind of terrifying.
  • dp1320dp1320 member
    I'm someone that hates pregnancy...I love the end result (a baby) but I don't like the gaining weight, the morning sickness, the exhaustion, the not having control of my body, etc. I think the media and everyone hypes up how "pregnancy is so beautiful" and we should all love it but it's not always the case - and it's ok that you feel this way. If you feel like your depression is getting unmanageable though (unable to get out of bed, unable to eat, not wanting to socialize, etc) I'd recommend setting up an appointment with a therapist and also getting in touch with your OB to let them know what's going on.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm seriously struggling right now with the blues. I've been sick this entire pregnancy and I feel like I just can't take it anymore. The first tri was ms, and now I've got this cough and laryngitis for the past two months and I just can't! I cry that I want to give up. Not that that's an option, lol. But of course, now DH is sick, and when he's sick he's nothing but an a hole. So I'm getting no affection, and dealing g with everything g else and I just don't want to anymore :( in going to see my OB this afternoon to see if I can figure it out
  • I've been struggling with it too, I talked to my doctor about it as well and they prescribed me bupropion xl 150 mg a day.... I picked up the prescription but haven't taken it yet. Has anyone else been put on this? I really need advice. I want to be happy and feel better, have my energy back. But if the risk is too great I can't do it. I'm torn and my depression is getting bad. What do you guys think/ know about this medicine?
  • I had depression and anxiety since 8th grade. I am now 28 and have been off medications for just over a year, for the most part I've been fine. But every now and then I get really bad days. I'm 18 w and 3 days now. Scared I may get post partum depression too.
    I was in bupropion at one time, but was usually on multiple drugs at the same time. For anyone going on medications I would hope the Dr. Would only give them to you If they are safe for pregnancy and if you want to breastfeed that it's ok there too. You should always do your own research on any medication or talk to a pharmacist.
    Going off medications can be very difficult especially if there are withdrawals. I will hesitate to go back on any medications for this reason.
    Exercise and getting outside,even for a walk can go a long way to feeling better.
  • Whovian84Whovian84 member
    edited July 2015
    I'm really glad I found this post. I'm 17w4d and have been feeling so depressed this entire pregnancy. On top of feeling physically terrible, my husband has been traveling a lot for work since I got pregnant, we're in a new city (NYC) with a long ass work commute, and my new coworkers are full of drama.  I've had 3 prior MC and I'm struggling to get excited about this pregnancy but it's just not happening. Most days I just feel numb, like I'm walking through water. I'm an introvert and love spending time alone to be creative, read, think, etc, but now it just feels like I'm locked inside my body and have no interest to do anything. I'm trying to practice gratitude as that usually helps me to find grounding and perspective, but it's just not working.

How are you all managing to make it through? When my husband's gone, I can barely work up the energy to make food.

I've called off today because I just can't handle work drama and just want to cry as it's our anniversary and my husband is gone all week. So, I'm going to wear my lazy clothes,  get a donut and eat it walking down the street to the Goodwill where I can hopefully find some cheap maternity clothes. All the trendy, trust funded Brooklyn people I see on my travels can kiss my ass, at least I'm leaving the house. 

Thanks for listening.
  • @lyndsayfuller that good you are talking to your doctor. I second the talking to a pharmacists about risks. My biggest rec is to work with a paychiatrists. Those types of drugs are their bread and butter. They will be apt to put you on the best drugs for pregnancy and explain all risks and sideeffects. I get.leary when a gp or ob are the ones prescribing those types of meds. Only issue is it can take a while to get in with a paychiatrist. I hope you are being encouraged to see a counselor as well. That is what helped me. Then you can develop the coping skills that will work for you and get off the meds hopefully. Good luck!
  • I'm so glad I'm not the only one...the past couple weeks have been the hardest. The lack of energy is back (I'm 19 weeks), I just moved into a new apartment with my bf and he has a 4yr old daughter with ADHD. I find myself going into my room and crying form all the stress. It's my first pregnancy and on top of that living part time with a 4yr old with high energy is extremely difficult. Anybody have any recommendations? I don't feel my normal cheerful self lately...I would rather be alone. Hopefully it goes away!
  • I feel exact same way, one minute I'm happy and the next I'm sad and scared. 
  • I'm feeling the same way too!! I'm super thankful to be pregnant but I'm also feeling very alone and isolated. None of my friends have children and most of our activities hanging out consisted of NYC boozy brunches and dancing. Now that I can't do that anymore I find myself home alone (my husband works nights) with no one to talk to, except my cat. I've wanted a child for so long and I'm excited to meet my son but the reality of the death of my old super social life has me a little depressed. 

People act like b/c I'm pregnant I'm dead. I mean, I know I can't do certain things but as my friends you would think they would adjust a little to accommodate me. One of my friends finally suggested our group doing a spa day, which got me super excited until I discovered it was one of those spas that was similar to a bath house with saunas and whirlpools.

I could be being super sensitive but my boredom is turning into depression. sigh!