February 2016 Moms
Options

Any other young/teen mothers?

PerniciousPernicious member
edited July 2015 in February 2016 Moms
I'm eighteen and this baby is a total surprise. I've only been with one guy, (whom I hoped to marry) but the looks I get when I break the news are awful--people seem to automatically assume I'm some raving nympho. I also lost my scholarship to an Ivy League school, and that's not helping any. Anyways, how do you cope with the judgement? Any tips for shutting the insults down? I'm totally lost here, and looking for some advice. 

Re: Any other young/teen mothers?

• Options
    bbax44bbax44 member
    Well, I'm 21 almost 22 and it hasn't been any better for me either. I've just learned to ignore them, they aren't the people i want around my child obviously. I haven't quite figured out how to shut the insults down, still working on it.
  • Options
    Hi doll. I was actually 17 when I got pregnant with my first. I'm 24 now. I got looks, comments too. No one knows your actual situation. They just assume many things when they see a young girl pregnant. Don't let it get to you. They don't know you. People judge all the time, sadly that's life. You have to keep your head up and focus on yourself/baby. May I ask why you lost your scholarship?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    People are simply judgey at 13, 15, 17,19, 21, 25,28, 33,45, 48 years old.  They just make comments that are ignorant.  Be proud and love your little baby.   I told one person at work I was expecting her response was seriously "are you kidding me? Are you sure this is the right time for you?"  I'm 33 and we've been dying for baby #2 (this will be pregnancy #5). They make comments about parenting, they are just ignorant and judgey.  I get that it might feel that some people don't get looks but if anyone is different than the "norm" one boy/one girl there are stupid stupid comments.  My mom had #5, and #6 in her late 40s and got SH*T on by her family.  I have a friend with three girls and a boy and when she had the boy so many people asked her if she was relieved to have a boy (in front of her girls as if they didn't count!!).  So just know that people are stupid.  Make your baby proud.
  • Options
    I'm 24 married, and pregnant with baby #3 and I still get weird looks/comments from people. Nowadays, it seems like everyone finds a reason to criticize moms for when they have a kid. Everyone is always too young or too old. I wouldn't take it personally.