October 2015 Moms

Who's all house hunting before baby's here?! (Plus a little rant)

My SO gets his annual raise at work August 1st and (hopefully) we'll be selling the motorcycle this week. That means.... We can start looking at houses of our own again!! We were looking before and fell in love, but the bike didn't sell so we had too many payments on our plate to make an offer. That house is still for sale, so I'm really hoping we can make an offer they'll accept and get this moving thing over with! If not, we get to go look at houses and hopefully find one we like!

It's SO stressful not knowing if we'll still be here when baby comes. I don't wanna finish her room if we're just going to move or already be moved before she gets here! It really messes with my nesting instinct as there's nothing to get ready yet!!

Who else is actively looking at houses and planning/wanting to move before baby(ies) comes?! What are your biggest concerns?

Re: Who's all house hunting before baby's here?! (Plus a little rant)

• We are. We've got the house we want under contract. Home inspector is coming tomorrow to check it out. Things are getting real.
    I'm anxious because it's moved so fast. We found this house last week.
    I think my biggest concern is buying new furniture. Our sofa in our apartment is very old and was given to us by my stepdad's friend. He kept it in his shed. It's a little funky. And our house will need a fridge.
    But I'm excited to get Baby's room put together.
  • We aren't, but good luck ladies! The whole house-hunting process can be stressful, so try not to get too overwhelmed by it all. In the end, baby won't know where it is, but it will know who it is with (mom!). I definitely understand the unknown and those nerves that come with it. I hope you all find what you want soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We bought a house and we're hoping to move in prebaby but now it looks like we will move in after (construction delays). So while I'm setting up the nursery I'm not hanging things on the wall or painting since we will move again.
  • We're moving Sept 1 which is killing my nesting instinct since I can't nest yet lol. I've been trying to compensate by using that energy in packing and going through crap instead. Ugh. But I'm so stressed out, we haven't bought anything for her except some clothes because of the move so I'm just praying that all goes well and in Sept my nesting will be in full drive still lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are moving in the next couple weeks. We'll be staying with my in laws while we look for a house. It takes some of the pressure off that we have somewhere to stay while house hunting but we're a family of four and don't want to overstay our welcome. We have been looking online but it's so hard to get a feel for a house when your across the country! There is one house we like so hopefully when we walk through it will be "the one." @mlobrummond I believe you mentioned your from MN before? That's where we're moving!
  • We just finished moving into our new house. Still dealing with all the address changes and little house repairs, so I haven't even had time to work on unpacking (bless DH for tackling it on his own this week!). Probably won't get to work much on the nursery until August and it's killing me! I want to paint, decorate, clean, get the furniture set up, etc. All that we have bought for DS are a few outfits, mainly because we didn't have a place for the extra stuff. 
  • I'll be thinking of you, sweet Mama. We just closed on our house 2 weeks ago. It was so hard to house hunt pregnant and the waiting game was really hard for me. And of course, the not being able to nest. And personally, not being able to  help was hard for me. I could pack a box, but couldn't lift the boxes. And then, couldn't help move because of the lifting... It's rough, but being in our house now has been so so worth it. 
  • @shannond21228 Yep! We're about 10 minutes from IA lol! I totally understand about looking online since we don't want to fall in love with one before we can get a loan, that's all I've been doing. Hopefully August 3rd will come quick!! I hope you enjoy MN :)
  • @mlobrummond I lived there for quite awhile and it's where my husband's from. We're super excited to be moving back! Good luck with your house hunt!
  • We are looking for a new house and have decided if we don't find one by 1st of September we will put it on hold until after the holidays.  OUr current house has plenty of room we just don't love the layout with three kids and really hate our area.  We have found a few we have liked but they have sold before we could get an offer in or we were out bid.  It's stressful but I think the fact that we were in the middle of a remodel with my second and everything was completed while I was in the hospital has made me pretty relaxed this time around.  We have three houses we are looking at this weekend although I am not super excited about any of them so we shall see.  House Hunting is such a process and we were lucking with our first house and got a great deal and found it our first month hunting.  Good luck to all the house hunters! 

• kaweegarkaweegar member
    edited July 2015
    We have a contract on a house and we were supposed to close July 1st. So far we are still waiting on our lender to get their crap together (the appraisal they ordered on June 16th didn't get done til July 7th). It's been a real nightmare with a million hoops to jump through. Hopefully we will close next week!
  • That's the worst part, the waiting. We put our offer in April 14th. We were supposed to close on May 30. Ended up not closing until June 27th. It was horrible. Lender issues, seller issues, low appraisal. Hope you get to close on time! 
  • @SarahAnne1101 Thanks! It's good to know I am not the only on that has endured this torture.
  • My 1br apartment lease is up mid nov. I am due mid oct. We had plans to move into a 3/2 townhouse in sept but the current tenant a coworker who just had a baby in beg of may....is now saying maybe oct. She has 2 older kids and needs more room but is waiting till the last min to find a new place which is driving me insane.
    I have no idea when or if she will move even tho she had 3 mos off to find a new place. Knowing we will be moving in when she leaves. I'm scared of moving too close to due date in case the stress triggers something.
    I am so annoyed at her and can only look for another place ir decide to move after baby which kills any nesting opportunity. I have no rm left in my 1br to pack and wait or set up a baby area. I want to at least have a plan or def date but she's one of those last minute types. The landlord is also a coworker who is looking forward to us being tenants.

This place is ideal w location to our jobs and price for size in a great community. I was hoping to move in aug but landlord says lease isn't up till oct. I'm sooo bummed.
    We are going to start looking for other places this wk but ugg. I'm a planner. And trying not to be stressed.
  • As of this morning, we are house hunting. We've been dealing with noisy neighbours here pretty much since moving in, and I just cant deal with it anymore.. They have their tv on so loudly that I cant sleep at night, refuse to turn it down, and have the balls to come up here and complain about my puppy eating her food because thats "too loud". We sleep on our kitchen floor because the noise below our bedroom is just too damn much. That same bedroom is where baby would be sleeping for the first few months.. Yeah, that's obviously not happening. Management wont do a thing, even if we get police involved. I've not slept properly in months and I've just had it now that theyve come to complain about my dog eating. I'm tired of sleeping on the floor. I'm tired of people below us ruining our living experience. And now I'm already tired of the humungous financial strain this will put on us as we live in an expensive area that we cant really leave because this is where DH has his job. We had planned to take another 2 years to save up a downpayment, now we have basically no savings (other than what is set aside for baby, which i see as money we dont have since we will have to pay it around october anyways) and somehow have to manage to find a place where I can at least sleep comfortably.. 

:((
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Me too. Probably won't end up moving till mid-late September. It's really stressing me out.
  • I'm a September mama but I frequent the October board as well.  We just moved in to our new home about 3 weeks ago and we love it.  The whole process was so emotional, stressful, exhausting but also exciting.  There are positives and negatives to moving so late in pregnancy.  We have been so busy and things happened so quickly that I basically had to pack up the whole house by myself while DH was in Houston for work.  On the other hand he (and all our friends helping us move) yelled at me every time I picked up a box so the actual move required only supervising on my end, at least until they all got fed up with me trying to help and sent me to Target.  

Its stressful trying to get DS2 and LO's rooms ready but it definitely makes these last few weeks fly by.  Every time I turn around I feel like its been 2 weeks and I'm heading back to my Doctor's office.  I'm exhausted trying to get the house in order before LO comes and I lose motivation for all things not toddler or baby related.  DS loves the new house though so its all been worth it.  

• Yup! Us too!  We lived in NYC for 13 years and moved to Cape Cod (where I grew up) about a year ago.  We rented a house over the winter and have been living with my mother since May.  We started house hunting right away and put in an offer at the end of May... We are about to close on the house next week!  We had lots of hoops, too... with lenders and we also qualified for a USDA loan, so normally that takes way longer to get approved. But FINALLY here we are, about to move into our first ever home.  We are so, so excited to nest before baby arrives!
  • My husband and I are moving right now. Let me tell you, house hunting is a bitch. And moving furniture down 3 flights of stairs to get it out of our apartment, is just.... Horrible. The fact that it's July in Alabama doesn't help either.
  • ElleMF728 said:
    .  On the other hand he (and all our friends helping us move) yelled at me every time I picked up a box so the actual move required only supervising on my end, at least until they all got fed up with me trying to help and sent me to Target.  

This. this made me laugh. That's exactly what happened to me when we moved 3 weeks ago. I didn't even try to pick boxes up, it was more because I was trying to direct. i had labeled each box with a room name and put the names of each room on the doors, so they really didn't need me. 
  • Well, we just got back from the bank. We got pre-approved for a loan up to $200k, so we can start really looking at houses! DH will be contacting a realtor this afternoon and we'll just go from there. Really hoping we can find something. 

Since we'll be stuck paying rent here til February either way, I'm not too worried about any moving process around a birth. If needed I can just stay here while DH moves things into the new home, and move over with the last essentials for me and baby when it's all ready. Obviously that'd be worst case, but it's better to be prepared. 

Fairly good start of the day Id say! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We just moved across the country for a job and have been staying with family for a month and can't find a THING to buy. The market is crazy and everything is over priced. I"m 27 weeks pregnant and school starts here in 2 weeks for our other 2 kids. I'm about to have a nervous breakdown!
  • FLY77FLY77 member
    I thought we were the only ones crazy enough to move right now, lol. We just went "under contract" this week. Our proposed closing date is 9/23, I am due 10/9. It's driving me absolutely bonkers. Our 1 bedroom apartment is busting at the seams already!! I am praying my little angel, stays in until my due date!

• Bad news :( we just found out our budget is actually lower than originally thought. I hope somehow we can get financed for the one we love still. It's not that we can't afford it, but we can't get the right amount of loan. Ugh!!!! I want out of this stupid house!!!!!!
  • We started house hunting almost as soon as we found out I was pregnant. The market was very soft here (Los Angeles) with not much to offer in our desired area, so it took forever for us to find a place. We moved in a few weeks ago, but I still don't feel quite settled, can't find some essentials, etc. I'm just happy the move is over at this point because I was so focused on that and buying the furniture needed for a bigger home that I haven't spent much time preparing for the baby and now I can. You ladies are brave preparing to move so close to your due date! Best of luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well, we had found a house we really wanted and put in an offer of 5k more than asking price.. and we still got refused. Makes me wonder what the heck those other people offered.. Back to square 1, booo.

How's everyone elses house hunt going? Any luck?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My husband has started tearing up the babies room, pulling up the wood floor, scraping popcorn off the ceiling, removing wallpaper. She'll get new paint, new trim, and new carpet.
    Then he gets a call for a job interview for a job out of state... So now we might have to sell our house and move out of state. Why couldnt they call before we started tearing up the babies room!!!
    I'm extremely stressed because I don't know where I'm going to be living when the baby comes and I sit at home all day and can't do anything. I just want to get her room set up and decorate it so it will be ready.
    Trying to stay calm because my husband is but we will have to replace all the floor in the babies room, hallway and living room before we move. And finish renovating our master bathroom!
  • We are in the process of house hunting and are closing on our old house on Tuesday of next week! My husband was offered a job in Charlotte NC which required us to relocate from Greenville SC. I felt like we had just gotten unpacked at our house in greenville.... We have been fortunate that my husband's parents have offered us their basement in their lake house but I would prefer this to be a very temporary situation (we are on week 3)... And to top it off our realtor has been on vacation for the past two weeks. I'm getting really antsy!!!
  • Just put an offer in on a house today, but might get into a bidding war since another couple is looking at it again tomorrow. Plus side: we personally know the sellers, so we have the advantage!! Wish us luck!! :)
  • Put an offer in yesterday... Hopefully we get it! Fingers crossed!
  • After house hunting since January, my husband and I found a house we couldn't pass up in June. The problem, though, is that said house had just begun building and has a nearly identical "due date" to my LO. We just put our house on the market this week. What a nightmare that is - in addition to pregnancy exhaustion and wanting to get ready for baby, we had to prep our house to look sale-ready and have to keep it spotless EVERY morning (and we have a 4 year old). I'm just trying not to think too hard about the delicacy of timing - We have to sell this house quickly, but not so quickly that I am not ready to move; We want the house we are buying to be ready before baby comes, but hopefully not at a time that it would be difficult for me to make closing, etc. If everything falls into place perfectly, we will get an offer on this house soon from a buyer willing to wait until 11/1 to move in, the new house will be completed early October, my LO will come as planned for my scheduled repeat c-section on 10/22/15 and I can bring her home to our new place! But there are so many pieces that can fall out of place that it has me nervous. AND I have nothing done for a nursery.  
  • I'm so happy I found this thread! I'm a teacher so I've been off all summer with my almost 4 year old son. We put an offer in on a house in late May and it was accepted after some back and forth by early june. I figured it was perfect timing as I would have all summer off and could pack our rented condo slowly...a little each day. It is now mid August and I am returning to work in 3 weeks. My house is filled with boxes and we still don't have our closing date!! All of these ridiculous hiccups are holding it up and I'm so frustrated! I should also mention that I'm due with this baby girl on 10/21 and this house is not move in ready...we need a kitchen/bathroom remodel as well as hardwood floors refinished and paint in every room. TONS of work. I'm dying to nest and get ready and I have nowhere to do it! ARGHHHHHHH!
  • We've been looking for a new house to rent for months because of space and the cat we used to have ruined our carpet in the second bedroom and partly in the living room...it's gross. Hardly anyone will consider renting to us with our black lab who weighs 90+ :( the house we found that was ok with him denied us because of me not working.

Sorry ranting just so discouraged. I don't want to lie about having him buuuut
  • We are. We are set to close next week, when I'm 33 weeks. We just moved back to our hometown where family is about a month ago and have been living with my in-laws so we haven't been able to do much to get ready for our baby. I am dying to get in and start nesting!!!
  • We bought a house when I was pregnant with my second and moved in when she was less than a month old. I'm not gonna lie - it was really hard. You think we'd have learned our lesson, but no. This time, we're mid-renovation! Our guys seem really quick and let's hope that keeps up. Would love to be settled in when this baby arrives...
  • We bought a house back in June and have yet to move! We decided to do renovations before moving in and it has taken much longer than I expected. We probably won't move until the second week of September so here is to hoping all goes well with baby and we'll have time to settle and get her nursery ready before she gets here.
  • I want to nest SO BADLY!!! Our offer fell through on the house we thought was perfect... Someone outbid us but wanted a bunch of the sellers' furniture... I'm hoping they will decide to come back to us with a counteroffer instead. Until then... Back to square one with the house hunt!!
  • Update on me:
    We closed on our house Friday. Spent all weekend moving out of our apartment/into our house. We had our final apartment inspection yesterday.
    It's different going from a one bedroom apartment to a 3bedroom/2bathroom house. We've got so much room, I hardly know what to do with myself!
  • I'm so glad that we're not the only ones doing this right now. Sorry, but I feel a lot better reading that other women are going through the same ordeal. Makes me feel like since there's so many of us doing it, we'll all be fine!

We put in another offer on a house yesterday night, fingers crossed.. At this point, closing would be end of September, so it's all starting to cut it quite close.. But hey, worst case I keep the pack and play and some essentials for me and baby, have DH do the move, and just drive the remainder of the stuff over with me and baby as the last trip. That should work. I know, getting way ahead of myself, I need to sit back and wait for our offer to be refused like the last one :P Houses here are HOT right now. 
    Pregnancy Ticker